Best Beam Scale

stephensackro

I know I'm going to get a lot of different opinions on this but, who makes the best beam scale regardless of price. I only load handgun rounds so high capacity is not needed. I have been using an old Lyman scale that I bought in the 70's and it seems to still work fine but is there anything better than my old Lyman out there?

I've also been reading up on beam scales here. There's a ton of searchable threads I'm studying but haven't decided. Still using the Lee that came with a single stage kit and just ordered a classic turret after many years.

I'm not familiar with all of the new products out there, but the 1978 vintage RCBS 5-0-5 is a real champ. Still use it regularly, and it is still spot on. I use checkweights to verify its calibration prior to each loading session.

All the Best -

Bayou

Im going with the dillon eliminator for $90. Watched a couple of videos, the poise system looks much easier to discern than the lower priced Lee scale.

Like Bayou, I use the RCBS 5-0-5 scale as made by Ohaus. Not sure if Ohaus is still making RCBS's scales for them.

Don

RCBS for me too

I like the RCBS 5-0-5 too. I recently bought some check weights and it's still correct even after having owned it for decades.

If your beam scale is still working I'd be quite happy spending the money on other reloading supplies (bullets, powder, primers) or other reloading equipment.

Example: I've always thought the RCBS strip priming setup is neat but I just can't seem to fork over the money to try it.

Handgun wise there's some really interesting premium self defense bullets out their that might be fun to try.

P.S. I'm also using an RCBS 5-0-5 and am quite happy with it. I got a cheap electronic scale years ago as a gift and it's just...meh. So I soldier on with the 5-0-5 and am really quite happy with it.

RCBS 5-0-5

I have been using the RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale for more the 40? years and it is extremely accurate.

Never had the need for anything else.

Beam Scales

Looks like the RCBS 505 is a very popular and well made scale. It looks very much like my old 70's Lyman scale. Just was wondering if any company had come up with anything better, but I guess you can't improve much on a well designed product.

Started on a RCBS 5-10-when I couldn't find another one to replace the 5-10 I purchased a RCBS 10-10-Just wish they were still made by Ohaus.

To Chucky222

I recently bought the Dillon scale. I have been disappointed. It does not read accurately. I compared it with my Lee, a Dillon electronic and an RCBS electronic. The latter three weighed the same. The Dillon was off by 1.8 grains. The Dillon is MUCH easier to read than the Lee ---- but accuracy???????.

I bought $10 electronic scale off ebay and compared it to my 5-0-5 and test weights. It was dead on. I like using it to separate brass and bullets by weight.

Polar Bear,

That's a lot of error for something supposed to read 0.1 grains. Have you called Dillon? It sounds like something is wrong with it. Dillon will take care of you.

Polar Bear

Wow, that is terrible accuracy !! I have noticed that some of the name brand aka "expensive" beam scales, have bad reviews. This isn't rocket science, you would think that a relatively simple devise like this, would be accurate and have high repeatable accuracy.

for those pining for the days of old there is a metric ton of Ohaus made scales on EBay. I am slowly but surely collecting a assortment of 5-0-5 style scales in a rainbow of colors to be used for decoration in my new reloading room.

I went through my beam scale period and loaded thousands of rounds of good ammo last year using a 5-05 and a Lyman M5. Now I love the nostalgia of the old school scales I have found that a $25 Gem Pro 20 battery powered electronic is faster and more accurate.

Test Weights

Not to highjack, this thread but feel that in support of "any" scale, you need to invest, in a set of "Test-Weights". These are calibrated, certified and take the guess work out of accuracy. They do not cost much but sure are handy. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

reference inexpensive test weights

Test weights? Yes, an essential item. But certified (by who/how) and cheap do not belong in the same sentence. Discarding the certified notion, with average reloading sets going for about $30-$50. Not exactly cheap IMO.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012934434
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018680726?pid=729558
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012877380?pid=612694

and here's a set of "certified" weights:
https://www.mcmaster.com/test-weigh...est-weight-sets-with-calibration-certificate/

Last edited:
I'm really not sure if any of the currently made scales are worth the money or are the best. Normally I'm not all about something the weight of a brick being an indicator of quality... except scales.

If you want the best, look for ones that were made many decades ago. The heavier and more solid they are, the better.

I don't have the Lee scale, but given all the other things Lee I have, I'm willing to bet it works fine, it just looks like cheap junk and is cheap. However, one feature of it that I do like is that it is a 100 grain capacity and, unless I ever get into reloading .50 BMG, that's more than enough for me to measure powder charges with.

Simple fact is the larger the range is that a scale can measure, the higher the costs are in producing and manufacturing the scale are because it requires more inspection and QC. It's easy to make a scale with a 100 grain capacity accurate than it does a 500 grain capacity scale.

I do have a Hornady beam scale and it cost $70 and while it works fine, I feel the thing isn't worth more than $25.

Back