Best and worst smelling solvents/protectants

Hoppes,always has been ,always will be. Hoppes is a smell everyone older than 30 knows. It is one of those smells that's just is in a class by itself.

RB-17 is, unfortunately, a little known but highly effective bore cleaner that is water soluable; It smells like pine.

M-Pro 7 is my first choice.
Almost odorless.
Wipe Out Foam has little odor, too; although their Patch Out is ammoniacal.

Ballistol just plain stinks.

When I was kid, I always knew deer season was coming around because the house smelled like Hoppe's #9. I just wish Glade made a Hoppes #9 bathroom spray...

...bug :)

Last edited:
Best smelling firearm lube: Marvel Mystery Oil
Best smelling non-firearm penetrant/lube: WD-40
Worst smelling anything: (as I put my flak jacket on) Ballistol aerosol.

Sorry Ballistol lovers, and I know I am going against the grain on this one. Maybe in a non-aerosol form it is tolerable, but from my aerosol can, it is the worst smelling CL (not P) I have ever used.

Lou

Louca said:
Sorry Ballistol lovers, and I know I am going against the grain on this one. Maybe in a non-aerosol form it is tolerable, but from my aerosol can, it is the worst smelling CL (not P) I have ever used.
You're completely right! I have never used Ballistol and we don't usually use it at work, but the other day I went back to gunsmithing and it smelled like rotting, decayed mildew. I asked the gunsmith what the heck smelled so bad and he told me the owner had wanted him to use Ballistol on some guns he was restoring. The poor gunsmith was definitely NOT enjoying his job right about then!

I really like the smell of the "Breakfree Powder Blast" stuff. It has like a citrus smell to it, which I think is done intentionally.

Eezox doesn't have an unpleasant aroma, but I sure have some kind of allergic reaction to it... Though it's effective, I can't use it... Spaces me right out!

You're completely right! I have never used Ballistol [but when I did] it smelled like rotting, decayed mildew.
Thank you for the support! Believe me, there are MANY who feel otherwise, and even like the smell of Ballistol. I could not think of a good description, but your's is perfect.

Lou

Just got a bottle of butches bore shine, that stuff is so strong the bottle is packaged in another bottle to keep the smell in.

hysterical.gif

hoppes is pretty grody, as is winchester aresol CLP. ballistal is quite pungent but not necessarily horrible although it stays with the gun forever. everytime I smell ballistal I think of my POS AK that had to be drowned in the stuff to operate.

I like safariland CLP, no stink, no fumes, no problem.

I hate the smell of all the Amonia based solvents. Montana extreme being my least favorite. Montana extreme sure works. I have switched to water based solvents for stuff I am in no hurry to get clean. If you have a couple of days, then water is the way to go.

Back