Best and worst smelling solvents/protectants

Panfisher

After spending a little time in the loading room where I actually sprayed some G96 just for the aroma therapy value I got to looking at what was on my shelf and which ones I actually enjoyed the smell of and which one I really really didn't like.

Like: G96 and Birchwood Casey Sheath

NOT: Barnes CR10, 3-in-one oil

Unsure: Kroil, it has such an odd smell, can't decide if I like it or hate it.

When I was a kid, the only protectant I remember was G96, the gunsmith shop in my hometown always smelled like it, and its sort of like the smell of coffee perking in an old style percolator pot, just bring back the smell of "home". Birchwood Casey's Sheath takes me back to the days in college when I worked at Bass Pro, Sunday Mornings when it was slow we would start down the line of display guns and wipe them down with it, always like the smell.

Back around 1939 or so, my grandfather took me along on a visit to Petmecky's gun store on Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas.

That was my introduction to the smell of Hoppe's #9. That's been better than Chanel #5, ever since. :D

Art Eatman said:
That was my introduction to the smell of Hoppe's #9. That's been better than Chanel #5, ever since.

I concour. Gotta love Hoppes #9. They actually make air fresheners that smell like it.

How the heck did I forget Hoppes #9, it must have been hiding in the back of the shelf.! Never smelled Frog Lube, next time I make it to town I will try to remember to give it a sniff, reckon I'll get thrown out for sniffing the different ones in the cleaning section. :eek:

I think Hoppe's #9 stinx. Though #9 BR Copper Solvent is far worse, even if it works wonderfully. Absolute worst I've found is Shooter's Choice. RIG 2 smells pretty good, though it seems to have disappeared around here. Hoppe's Elite and Breakfree CLP are neutral and so are good inside products.

Just got a bottle of butches bore shine, that stuff is so strong the bottle is packaged in another bottle to keep the smell in.

I think they all stink. :rolleyes: Especially the stronger ammonia based cleaners. If I have to clean a gun on a hot day, the smell from some will leave me feeling physically ill.
Paul B.

^^ I agree, they all stink. Especially copper removers.

I have always liked the smell of wd-40, but I don't use it on my guns.

I wish they made a shaving cream and after shave lotion that smelled like Hoppe's #9.

I would look, sound, and smell like a gun nut. :D

I like the odor of Hoppes #9 for much the same reason I like the smell of paper shotshells when they are ejected and the smell of burnt castor oil from model airplane engine exhaust. Those smells take me back to my younger days.

Anyone who doesn't say "Froglube" obviously has never actually smelled it. It smells just like mint. That said, I find Hoppe's #9 is a much more nostalgic smell and therefore more pleasant to me, but Froglube is objectively a better smell, hands down.

Hoppes #9 is the best smelling solvent for me, has been for well over 30 years now. Also, as B.L.E. stated, I LOVE the smell of firing paper shotshells!! I buy old ones at gun shows, some times partial original boxes (I collect the boxes) and shoot them all the time. I especially like to shoot them in old single barrel shotguns. THAT takes me back to my youth.

As far as worst smelling stuff, I've never been fond of the smell of cosmoline. I've bought a lot of old military rifles, many of which were still CAKED in cosmoline, and I always disliked cleaning them.

Papershotshells

a few years ago I used some stuff called 762 solvent (don't recall the maker) It worked great, but made me so nauseous that I stopped buying it.

Hoppes #9 does always bring up fond memories. So does the smell of a fresh fired paper 12 ga she'll case. I've now acquired a fondness for eezox too

I used to like Hoppe's #9 until my sons gave me some Gunzilla BC-10 which in my experience cleans rifle barrels 3-5 times faster than Hoppes and doesn't smell as strong. Also, Gunzilla is non-toxic and, if you do a little research on the Gunzilla website, our soldiers in the field whose lives depend on functioning guns have high praises for Gunzilla.

As soon as the women figure out to mix a little bacon grease with Hoppes #9 and put it behind their ears....I might get tired of being a bachaelor.

How about the smell of an old real surplus store...canvas,cosmoline,ww2 bore cleaner and mosquito juice,leather,paint,mildew,old ponchos,hemp rope....New Levi 501 shrinks...

Last edited:
Back