Best AMERICAN MADE .22LR Bolt Action Rifle?

Just realized the 77/22 doesn't have iron sights. This is an issue for me because I would be using it for small game hunting, and will most likely be shooting from close range (<50 yds). I don't want to invest in a scope when it isn't necessary. Can anyone give me more information about the quality of the Marlin 925? I understand the company is now owned by Remington and have read that people say the quality of their products has gone south. I'd like to make the most educated decision about buying my next rifle, for I do not plan on getting another one again because I am dissatisfied.

I had forgotten that there isn't a current 77/22 model that has iron sights. Quite depressing, really. My own 77/22 doesn't have them, either. More than a few times, I've considered having a gunsmith dovetail the barrel for sights.

From what I have heard, the Marlin rimfire bolt guns haven't really been affected by the transition to Remington. That does make sense, based on the simple action design, and (excessive?) use of stamped and cast parts. There isn't much to screw up on them. So, if issues did arise, they would be easier to correct in a timely manner.

The Marlins are nowhere near as refined as the 77/22. You could easily call them "cheap", but it's just a simplistic action design. They're still good rifles. The Marlin magazines are also easier to load, don't have as many sharp corners or edges, and don't look cheap like the Savage magazines.

Don't be hung up on "new"......the finest .22 bolt action ever made was the Winchester Model 52. It meets all your requirements other than being out of production. 52's are going no where but up in value in the future.....you'll never regret the quality and have an investment to boot.

52C.jpg

The Win. Model 75 is an excellent .22 also , and not as pricey as a 52 the mags fit flush too ! There are no new ones though , they've been OOP since the early 70s I think , maybe longer .

I have a Winchester 69A that is a fantastic rifle. The action is the same as the 75, but it's got a lighter barrel and stock. Mine has a receiver sight and is grooved for scope, but I prefer the irons for this fine shooting/handling rifle.

Mine cost me $225 and it's about the best value I've had in a used .22LR.

We have had many 22 rifle threads. I realize now I did not mean to imply that the low cost Marlin in my earlier post was among "the best". I was only saying that, with CCI standard ammo, the one I had was a one hole wonder at 40 and 60 yards. Not that it was "the best" rifle- only that it was capable of being very accurate and repeatable which is good enough for many close range small game or rodent shooters. Maybe you could call it one of the "best values" based on cost and accuracy for many young rabbit hunters. Certainly, without a doubt, a decent "starter rifle" for many kids growing up to hunt with their Dad's and venturing out alone after they get a few season's on them.

Regardless of accuracy, the Ruger 77-22 is a nice rifle. It's not a super-accurate one, however.

The two-piece bolt and non-match chamber work against it. The sub-minute 77-22 has not been built, except maybe by accident.

Regardless of accuracy, the Ruger 77-22 is a nice rifle. It's not a super-accurate one, however.

The two-piece bolt and non-match chamber work against it. The sub-minute 77-22 has not been built, except maybe by accident.

Did you really think about that, before you typed it? "Two-piece bolt" and "non-match chamber" are terms that apply to the great majority of the bolt action .22 LR rifles on the market - not just the 77/22.
Two-piece bolts and/or "non-match chambers" are found in most or all models from Marlin, Savage, Winchester, CZ, Remington, and Kimber. (And I'm sure I missed a few manufacturers.)

...Just the same old, unsupported, regurgitated, anti-Ruger internet crap. :rolleyes:

Does Ruger still make them with the raised wood pressure pad under the barrel? If they do, a lot of folks used to improve their accuracy by removing it and free floating the barrel.

John

Buds lists the Ruger stainless at $606 My Marlin target stainless was about 1/2 that AFTER I added a $75 rear sight to it.
HOw much is it going to cost to have a smith cut a dovetail?
I've not been impressed with the accuracy of the ruger rifles I have handled. It is sufficient for most hunting, but not target. Everywhere else they are great.

win 67

winchester model 67,
mines about ten years older than my grandmother, sexy,accurate, classy
and you could probably pick up 2 for the price of a new .22 these days.

food for thought the new ruger 77/22's have barrels that are threaded into the receivers. probably benefit from free floating more than previous v-block models, but at the same time, you don't get access to all the after-market barrels.

Get a Marlin XT-22 you'll love it, adjustable trigger,10 rd mags, and very accurate. Plus you won't cry when you scratch it while out hunting.

Back