Best all around rifle caliber

The .270 win is, IMO, the 'best all around cartridge' so you're pretty well covered.

If you want something smaller I'd suggest a compact .22WMR
Cheaper, no recoil to speak of. .223 isn't a bad choice, but the .270 will do everything the .223 can do but better. Only advantage of .223 is cheaper plinking ammo compared to .270, but rimfire ammo should be significantly cheaper than both, and due to the smaller powder charge and case length, the rifle can also be significantly smaller without increased muzzle blast.

The 270 might be a little light for bear and elk if that is a consideration
.270 win can ethically kill an elephant with the right load. Elk and bear would be fine. For bear 'defense' it wouldn't be ideal, but it would work.

I like the idea of a pistol caliber carbine. Maybe a Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum, or .44 magnum. A USGI M1 carbine in .30 Carbine could also be considered, as it is a .357 magnum on steroids. The thing I like about the pistol caliber carbines is they are light and can have a pistol, or revolver matched to them. I like the idea in a SHTF firearm consideration. Just a thought.

Get a manual and learn to handload like Taylorce1 replied.

If you cant figure that one in, get yourself a Mosin and stockpile ammo....

Since you said you are on a tight budget, I'm going to throw out a PCC for you. How about a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm, 40, or 45? If you already have a handgun in one of those calibers, that should make the decision that much easier. I would also recommend get into reloading. Lee has a Challenger kit that I've been using for a few years now and it does the job very well. Only things I've added to my kit was a RCBS Power Station, digital scale, and a good set of calipers. Its not hard to start and you don't have to get fancy.

reloading is so much easier than you think. s pent a hundred on bucks on the lee anniversary kit, then came here and asked questions. its been very rewarding.
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-breech-lock-challenger-50th-anniversary-kit-90050.html

for shooting on a budget, can't go wrong with .223(especially if reloading) or 7.62x39(if you don't wanna reload)
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/savage-axis-223-remington-bolt-action-rifle/pid-431011
http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-m85-...user-rifle,-cai-yugo-import.-new.-p-6939.html

I love the mosin nagant too, but you really gotta appreciate it to enjoy, but it's hard not to smile when paying 80$ for 440rounds of high power ammunition, even if its not the most accurate.

an SKS is a very decent semi-auto, accuracy isn't all that bad with a few simple upgrades. and very cheap. the ammo is less than 5$ a box. endless possibilities for cheap customization too
http://www.jgsales.com/chinese-sks-...s-issue-with-bayonet,-c-r.-used.-p-58288.html

For varmints, pick a 22 caliber centerfire. Doesn't really matter much which one.

For dangerous game pick something 375 or bigger. Doesn't really matter much which one.

As an all around caliber pick anything from 7-08 up to 338 WM. It doesn't really matter all that much which one. They are all suitable to hunt the same game. You might find some are more effective at slightly longer ranges, some slightly better on the larger game and some recoil less. But all could be used at reasonable ranges on all the same game animals.

It is really hard to go wrong with 270, 308, or 30-06. I'm partial to the 30 calibers because with lighter bullets around 110-125 gr will do almost the same job as much smaller calibers and with 200-250 gr bullets will do anythng a 338 mag will do, just at reduced ranges.

But you can do almost as well with any of the options from 270-338. Some like to stick with common rounds like 308, 270, and 30-06. Other guys just like to be different and will look at 7X57, 280, or 338-06. Nothing wrong with either approach, they all work pretty much the same. The bullet you shoot makes more of a difference than the headstamp on the cartridge.

Smaller and cheaper means yes - of course - .223 rem or 7.62x39

It's really hard to beat a .223 rem for what you describe. Lost cost plinker. But you *may* even want to consider a .22 hornet or .17 hornet.

There are luckily, hoards of makers of .223 turnbolts in all sizes, weights, shapes, styles and colors.

CZ 527 is a good place to start.

Don't get a Ruger American... recipe for disappointment. Get higher quality. At least Howa or Savage.

Another vote for getting into reloading. Its a great hobby and lowers the cost per shot. You might not save money because you will shoot more rounds but it is very enjoyable. Not to mention that reloading opens up a whole new world that factory ammo doesn't reach.
Reduced loads for plinking, full power loads for when that fancy strikes you, and if done properly-accurate loads tuned to YOUR rifle.

Nothing at all wrong with a good 270 Winchester bolt action. Bullets in grain weights from 90 to 180 grains are available.

Have fun!

The 270 might be a little light for bear and elk if that is a consideration

No its not. I have lots of guns, from 22rf/204 Ruger to 375H&H/458 WM/416 Rigby.

My 270 Win is my primary hunting rifle. It does quite will on elk. It would be a fine black bear round.

It would be hard to find a better "all around caliber".

If the OP is just looking for another rifle, fine, I can relate to that, any excuse for another rifle is a good excuse to get one.

However, it he is looking for "the one-do it all" the 270 would be hard to beat, low recoil, variety of bullets from varmints to elk/moose.

The 270 factory rounds can be found anywhere but I agree I would consider getting into reloading regardless of whether you choose another rifle/caliber or not.

But again, I'm the last person who would try an talk someone into NOT getting another rifle.

"smaller and cheaper for a shtf rifle and just plinking around"

You definitely want something in .223, .308, or 7.62x39........they all cover your requirements much better than .270, .22, or any pistol round. And in a situation of scarcity, they will all be much more plentiful than .270.

Well, in the recent great ammo famine, there were at least several months here in Oregon, when it was dificult to virtually impossible to get any of the, "tactical", calibers,i.e., 223/5.56, 7.62x51, x54, x39, 308 Winchester and even 30-'06. Even the bullets to reload 223 and 30 calibers were off the shelves. But you could buy 270 ammo and bullets. It's still tricky finding 22LR.

Ah............but if you broke into just about any known shooter's basement you would be sure to find at least one of those calibers........even if the guns were locked up and inaccessible.

Just sayin'...........

Last edited:
7.62x39 was the only ammo that never went up past 7$ a box, even at the rip-off stores. you could always find it in-stock, maybe just not at wal-mart

Reloading would be my choice...
As far as getting started, there is lots of info in the reloading forum,
Start with the sticky posts up top, that will give you some direction..

For something different than his .270 Win., for plinking, target shooting, even maybe some long range target work, and economical for ammo or loading components, the answer has to be the .223 Rem. A Howa, Ruger American, Savage, or Marlin bolt action would fit his budget and provide excellent accuracy and reliability, or if he ups his budget and decides to to go AR, the new Ruger AR556 might be the ticket, with its' 1 in 8" twist to handle the heavier bullets for long range shooting. Ammo can be found for as lttle as .33 per round, or less than half of what you pay for basic .270 Win ammo. He can save up his brass for both and eventually invest in reloading equipment and be able to shoot both cartridges much more economically. (especially now that powder and primers are once again available at more reasonable prices)
Of course, he should have a .22 rimfire or 2 or 3, but if he is talking centerfire, and his .270 Win handles all his medium/big game hunting activities, it sure sounds like a rifle chambered in .223 Remington is what might prove his best option.

The 270 is an excellent all around cartridge. Maybe you can make a friend with someone that reloads and buy the dies and have him load up some 100 grain rounds.

I have a .30-06 and a .223/5.56 NATO. I figured it covered the lower end center fire, to the upper middle center fire.

If I were to do it over I would consider getting a 300 Win Mag and a 243 to cover the high end and the low end, and then when I had the money throw in a .22 WMR.

Personally if I were you I would get a .22 WMR to go with your 270 right now. It is a very under appreciated round in my opinion. I just got my first .22 WMR in a revolver (well my wife did), and I am extremely impressed.

I have the CZ 527 in .223. I called CZ and they confirmed it is a 5.56 NATO rifle. It shoots very well and the trigger is a dream. Ammo once again is cheap. However, when tragedy and fear strike, the .223 ammo is gone in a flash, and during all of this time the .22 WMR has been on the shelf.

So, if cost for plinking is a consideration the .22 WMR is still cheaper than .223 REM.

Now, the downside of .22 WMR and .22 LR is that the bullets are light at 45 grains and less, and so their effective range is less than a .223, and you can't legally hunt very many things with .22 WMR and .22 LR.

Just some thoughts, I really don't think any choice is wrong, and unless you are like my friend that gets buyers remorse over everything including a hamburger, you will be fine anyway you go.

Back