Best all around rifle caliber

Puma prepper

Inactive
Hi im new to the forum and have never done this before, Hi everyone :)
Im looking for a new Bolt action Rifle, I have a 270win but im looking for something a little smaller and cheaper for a shtf rifle and just plinking around. I was wondering your thoughts on the caliber, Maybe a 30-30 win or 308 win ? Im not to sure and open to opinions, Im in the 300-350 range so no ARs or anything. Let me know thanks :confused:

If you already have a 270 youve covered a lot if bases. A 30-30 or the 308 isn't going to do any thing new for you.

I know you said you wanted a bolt action but I would recommend an AR 22lr. Mossberg makes one in an AR configuration for around 220.00.

In my opinion, this would cover both of your requirements better than a bolt action in a center fire caliber would.

Last edited:
Alright ..... thats kinda what i was thinking that the 308 or 30-30 wouldnt be to different. What about a bolt action .223, it would be a big differences from my 270, but still enough power to hunt and plink and cheap enough to stock. The 270s hard to have a day at the range when its about $1 per round. I kinda want a 30-30 lever action for fast follow shots and better rd capacity, but the ammo is still pretty pricy. I have a Ruger 10-22 already, good thought though ;) an AR 22lr would be pretty cool tho.

What do you anticipate hunting? A lot of states have minimum cal requirements. I'd go with a 243 if your looking at bolt action. It has a wee bit more umph than 223 but ammo is still cheaper than for your 270.

Another option would be to take that money buy reloading equipment for your 270.

If a .270 is too big, then you're looking at .22 LR to go with a big difference between calibers. I'm a fan of.243 myself but the difference isn't huge. Have you considered handgun caliber carbines? The Rossi Circuit Judge comes in .44 mag and .45 Colt.

Spend your $300-350 and get into reloading. Learn how to make your own ammunition, then save money and shoot more at the same time. You can learn as well to cast your own bullets out of lead alloys and have cheap plinking ammunition that's good for more than just plinking.

I would be hunting whitetail deer but i dont hunt much. I like the idea of the .243 but like said there would not be a huge difference from my 270. I really like the idea of a .223 or i really like the pistol carbine. Thanks for all the help
The 22s kinda out of the idea do to the fact i cant ever find ammo :(

I would like to get into reloading but it kinda scares me because i dont have any one to show me what to do, let alone what to buy. Iv looked at it before and i get super confused :confused:. I also shoot shotguns alot, witch one would be more beneficial to reload for money saving ? I know shotgun shells are very cheap vs Hi-power rifle shells, Id really like some more info on reloading if you guys good help me figure out what to buy . Im younger and looking for a new hobby and its just a plus to save money doing my favorite thing :D

Well, my choice would be a Winchester M70 Youth Ranger in .308 Win. Dunno if they even still make them but mine cost me a dollar. I replaced the stock with a Ramline with later plans to upgrade bit it turned out so accurate that I decided to obey Murphy's second law. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I do handload my own ammo so that one thing I don't have to worry about. I also cast my own bullets which saves a few pennies. Been doing it since 1954. A .308 shooting a 110 gr. to 120 gr. cast bullet over 5.0 gr. of unique makes a sweet gallery (plinking) load and does quite a number on small game, especially the 120 gr. round nose. Real cheap to shoot and not too loud. Then there is my hunting load with a 165 gr. bullet that does a number not only on deer but more than adequate for elk.
Learning to handload is not all that difficult. Most, if not all manuals have good instructions. Study them and ask question on what confuses you. Stick with the starting loads until you get comfortable.
I'll be perfectly honest. The scariest load you'll ever shoot will be that very first shot from your very first handload. Just ask me how I know. :D
Paul B.

"...I don't have any one to show me what to do..." Yes, you do. The Reloading forum here for one, but it doesn't take somebody holding your hand. Reloading is a long way from being rocket science. Buy a copy of The ABC's of Reloading, about $30 at your local gun shop or Amazon. Then look into one of the beginner's kits.
A .30-30 or a 308 will cost you roughly the same to shoot as your .270. A .223 doesn't have to be an AR. There are lots of bolt action .223 varmint rifles available. However, for general screwing around with a rifle(safely, of course), nothing beats a .22. Ammo's cheap and easy to get. And there are loads of rifles to choose from.
Mind you, it's not a horrible thing to buy a used centre fire(cf) rifle. It's not like buying a car. Takes a great deal of abuse to damage a modern rifle.
This time of year is usually good for used .22 cf varmint rifles. Not so good for scoped, deer rifles. Those will be less expensive after deer season.
The excrement is unlikely to hit the rotary air moving device any time soon either.

The 270 might be a little light for bear and elk if that is a consideration, otherwise-as Jack O'Connor would tell us-it will do just fine.

nothing wrong with .270

Not what I'd call a plinking rifle though. An interesting rifle might be a bolt action micro length action in 7.62X39
Ammo is cheap, plentiful and something like the CZ-527 ought to be a real gem to suit your needs.

^ I was just getting ready to say that.

A CZ-527 in 7.62x39mm is a TREMENDOUSLY versatile little rifle. Very light weight and compact, shoots a cheap bullet that is powerful enough for hunting deers and firing against humans in a defensive situation. VERY accurate guns, even with cheapo Russian steel cased surplus. Can reach out to 300-400 yards with the right load and a scope. Can be quickly reloaded with 5 shots mags.

Just a sweet rifle all around. Save up a hair and buy a used or new CZ-527 in 7.62x39mm.

You can thank me later! :D

Lots of good advice; I have been hankerin' for a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 as well.

But as far as the question "Best All Around Rifle Caliber"...you already have it.

Puma, good luck on your rifle decision. I would suggest going with something different than your current selection. You will probably wind up buying one of each anyway. It is not possible to have too many different rifles available.

Paul B. Do tell of your first hand loaded round. That is one reason that I am hesitant to start reloading. I would get interrupted with phone calls and household drama. Most of the handloaders here recommend a high level of concentration while loading. The thought of a double charge, or no powder does not sound good. What exactly happens when a primer "goes".

Save another hundred bucks and get yourself a 22-250 like this stevens 200

Super accurate, low recoil and good for any varmint up to medium large game with proper bullet and shot placement. Did I mention fun?

I can't say much about ammo costs and availability, as I reload. Go shoot one! You will smile!

Last edited:
The 223 Rem cartridge may be a bit smaller but it is a very popular. There is a large selection of different bullet weight factory ammo and powder, bullets, cases, and primers should you get into reloading ammo. My first CF rifle was a 270 Win and the second was a 222 Rem. It was a good pair of CF rifles for me and with a 22 RF rifle and a 12 Ga shotgun I could hunt any game in the area where I have lived.

Back