Best AA powder for the .45acp

Nick and Everyone else. Thanks for the input. I've re-read the threads and are advice was informative. I don't have a full-size .45 and I prefer to practice with .45-200 swc with 3.6gr BE and .45-230 5.0 gr. loads. I am still surprised that despite my testing, my preferred load is the same as what is universally recommended. At most, I prefer intermediate loads so AA2 with JHP should work fine. I don't like hot loads and beating up my pistol. One last question! For your .45, can you rank the powders you've used by how clean it burned?

For your .45, can you rank the powders you've used by how clean it burned?

When loaded to their designed pressure, all propellants run clean; however, some are more forgiving than others.

Even when loaded properly (which is easy to do), Bullseye leaves behind a fair amount of residue that is similar to graphite lube. It's a nuisance, but doesn't seem to affect firearm action. Hoppe's #9 seems to easily wipe it away ;)

W231 does the same, but not as much.

AA propellants (2, 5, & 7) all burn clean. But they leave behind little chartreuse grains when underloaded. AA2 seems to do this the most. No matter, I consider them all to be clean burners.

THE cleanest running propellant I've ever used is Trail Boss. Really neat stuff. But it's rather a niche powder. It's tailored for target level (or competition level, more specifically) lead revolver loads (lever rifles too, I guess) for Cowboy Action Shooting. (I have more to say here, but it's off-topic.)

The two powders that gave me the most headache with sooty burns is Unique and HS-6. I no longer use either. But even at that, they ran clean when loaded properly. This is why I find it curious why Unique is considered to be so versatile. As I define the term (runs clean and consistent over a wide variety of bullet weights, calibers, and charge levels), Unique is anything but versatile. But I suppose that's off topic too.

HS-6 can run clean, but I wasn't pleased with its performance (low velocity) even when loaded properly, so I quit using it. I will say that HS-6 is a very forgiving powder (because of it's low energy yield); so I do recommend beginner loaders gaining experience with it.

I know that's not a "ranking," but I hope it's insightful just the same. I kind of started at the conclusion: They all run clean when loaded properly.

burbank_jung,

Agree with Nick_C_S's assessment of AA#2 and W231. Knowing what you want to do with your .45 ACP, I would also consider another powder: WST.

Don

Thanks Nick - Very insightful
Thanks USSR - I tried to find WST once and ended up finding and using WSF. I didn't like it. Then, I tried Power Pistol. That was a long time ago but as I recall, it was pretty good. I've avoided W231/HP38 because it seems to have a cult following. It might be good but is is THAT good?? If I find a petload using Bullseye or AA2 that shoots well and switch to W231, am I going to find a petload that is going to leave me mouth open in amazement? I'll end up trying it someday.

Yeah, WSF is too slow a powder. Years ago many of the Bullseye shooters switched over to WST when Winchester stopped manufacturing 452AA.

Don

I've avoided W231/HP38 because it seems to have a cult following. It might be good but is is THAT good??

Heh. Yeah, I does seem to have a cult following. And I'm a cultist. I currently have almost 10 #'s of it - probably close to 1/3 of my total propellant inventory. It's that good.

My three most used calibers in this order are: 38 Special; 44 Special; and 45 ACP. W231/HP-38 does really well in these three chamberings. So "cultist" may be a bit of a stretch - I have a lot of W231 because of what I shoot.

It is great stuff though. Really.

You have Bullseye. It's nearly as good. W231 is just a tick slower, giving it a little more wiggle room to build up velocities a bit. It also runs a touch cleaner. But other that that, I wouldn't say it's any better than Bullseye. I like Bullseye a lot. In fact, the only reason why I phased Bullseye out of my inventory is because I have chosen to use W231 (for the reasons mentioned above).

My oldest recipe - circa 1985 - is 45 ACP 5.0gn W231 under a 200gn LSWC. I'm sure I have loaded more of that recipe than any other - by far. 840 f/s through a full-size 1911. Talk about tried n true. That's it. I even have a seat die dedicated just for the 200 LSWC - no adjustment needed; just spin it in and go. In 45 ACP, W231 works with any bullet weight. It'll come up a little short in velocity pushing heavies. But if you're keeping it at range practice levels, it's fantastic.

I use W231 in pretty much all my 44 Special loadings. Save for the canister of Trail Boss I bought just to check it out. But once it's empty, it's back to the W231 ;)

I load more 38 Special than any other caliber. More than 90% of them is with W231. Okay, I'm in the process of phasing out AA2 from my inventory; but once that's gone, it's back to W231. I shoot mostly 148 DEWC's (plated these days - I don't deal with lead any more - I'm done scrubbing barrels ;)), and 125 plated FP's and jacketed HP's. All get W231. The only exception is my max velocity 125 HP's which get either BE-86 (neat stuff) or Power Pistol (absolutely phenomenal stuff).

W231 also works well in 9mm; particularly 115's. But will make good range ammo with 124's too.

W231 has frightened me with 357 Magnum. Using the book minimum, I got super flattened primers; case bulges, and very difficult extractions. I thought I did something wrong, so I made another batch with the same result. This was years ago using 125 HP's. I don't use W231 for any 357 or 44 Magnum application.

I've never tried it in 10mm Auto, and likely never will. It's just too fast.

So yeah, W231/HP-38 is remarkably good. In the autumn of '84, the guy behind the counter at my sporting goods store pointed at a then steel canister (or maybe aluminum?? Steel is ferrous) of Winchester 231 and told me to give it a try, so I did. Since that very day, I have never been out of W231. Never.

Last edited:
I wanted to throw that powder in the garden but instead tried it for 10mm Auto. The load was powerful and accurate.

I have read this thread and your 9mm thread asking about AA powders. Shortly after starting to load for the 9mm I found that HP-38 was a very good powders but because I was shooting a lot of Berry's plated bullets I found AA #5 and liked it as well then I also tried it in the 45acp and liked the AA#5 much better in it than the HP-38. Loaded about 2 lbs of it between the 9mm and 45acp. Then because the wife and I were shooting a lot indoors I decided to try Ramshot Silhouette and it did what it was advertised to do. Reduced smoke and flash.

After shooting it in the 9mm and 45acp I found it also did very well in our 380's. In the 45acp I found a great amount of overlap between the AA#5 and the Silhouette only the Silhouette used about .5gr less powder to do the same thing as the AA#5 and the Silhouette filled the case better IMO.

I have since quite buying AA#5 and the silhouette has taken its place. In the 380 I am loading 100gr plated and 102gr cast lead. 9mm I am loading 115 and 124gr plated and jacketed. 45acp 185gr to 200gr plated and 200gr and 225gr cast lead

I am also still loading AA#2 with the same bullets for the 380 and 45acp. The 9mm I'm using the HP-38 and Ramshot.

If you want a good all around powder it's hard to beat W231. Works good for hardball equivalent 45 and 9mm standard factory loads. In 9mm it's a bit fast so you don't get the speeds you would with slightly slower powders but if you just want accurate reliable ammo it's fine for that.

Back