best 9mm for wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

bner21

Inactive
I am new to the world of pistols. I have a Ruger SuperBlackhawk 44 mag., in order for my wife to go shooting with me she says she wants a 9mm. I don't know that much about 9mm's, so I was wondering if I could get some input on which would be the best brand or model? Thank you.

I forgot to mention, my father-in-law, taught my wife to shoot, with a Ruger 9mm.

[This message has been edited by bner21 (edited September 09, 1999).]

There are many fine pistols to choose from. I would suggest trying several at your range (if they rent). The Glock 19 would be the first 9mm I'd recommend.

It's largely a matter of personal preference. She's just gotta go to a gunshop and handle as many as she can to see which ones "feel" right. If possible, rent some at a range and try them out. Once you've narrowed it down to a few models that you like, folks here can give you much more helpful advise. Good luck.

I prefer any of the 9mm Glocks for my own use, but the Kahr pistols have one of the most comfortable grips I've tried. I just don't care for the Kahr's trigger action and heavy weight.

Also, I'll second the others opinion that you should try to take her to a range that rents pistols so that she can try them for herself before you buy. Good luck.

Impressed by Kahrs when I tried it at a Trade Show.

Don't skip the compact versions of the CZ75. They have one of the best triggers in the industry and small handed folks find CZs so comfortable. Then again, there's plenty of wimmen with hands large enough so that even a Beretta 92 isn't any problem.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Get to the gun shops!!! Do not limit youself to the 9mm either. If she is not as experienced a shooter, you might want to consider a revolver.

In 9mm:
Sig 239
Glock 19
Smith & Wesson 3913/3913LS/908
Kahr K9(my wife loves them)
sig 225

In a five or sixgun:
Ruger SP-101 (.22, .32, .38, .357, 9mm)
Colt Detective Special in .38 or .357
Any S&W J/K frame
Taurus .38/.357

Lots of choices as you can see, just gotta get out there and check them out.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

My girlfriend was absolutely fanatical about my Glock 26. She liked the wide grip and shot very well with it. Light recoil also.

The Kahr K9 (I recently bought the Kahr K40) is also another excellent choice. VERY comfortable rubber grip that is thin for people with small hands.

Get to the gunshop and try a few for fit. Then rent those that you like from your local gun range. Thats THE best way to do it! :)

DWM

I completely agree what what is being said. You two go to a gun store and have her handle several different models. Rent the ones that she likes if possible and then try them out on the range. This will tell you what she likes the best for feel and comfort. I hope you guys have a good time at it.

Please do try a variety of pistols out with here, as it is ultimately her decision if she will use and practice with it.

It is my experience that the Browning High-Power is just about the easiest centerfire pistol I have ever shot. I know of a couple of women who shoot them, and at least one CHL instructor who keeps one as a "cheater gun" for uncertain students to use for qualifications. The pistol is large for the cartridge, and thus attenuates recoil magnificently. It has excelent sights and grip feel, and the learning curve for mastery is very shallow.

Some women have trouble operating the slide manually, and even loading the magazine can be difficult. In fact, I considered a .380 auto for my 76 yr old aunt, but decided against it when she couldn't pull the slide back to load the 1st round into the chamber, and struggled with putting rounds into the magazine. So I gave her a .38 special Rossi revolver (but I'm thinking of upgrading her weapon to a S&W revolver, since I've heard some negative things about the Rossi revolvers).

For my wife to shoot 9mm, the pistol has to be a Glock. Her favorite Glock model is probably the G19.

My wife recommends the Glock 26. She's tried the Kahr 9mm and said it pinched her hand. She's also tried the Sig P239 (9mm) and said it was too "flippy" for her small hands. She really disliked the Smith&Wesson auto (9mm, don't recall which model). That's what she told me to write.

My wife prefers the Ruger p97 .45. Most double stack 9mm's where too wide, or the trigger to hard to reach. The .45 was single stack, and slide is relatively easy to pull back, and the trigger easy to reach even in DA mode. She doesn't mind recoil. She just didn't like the glocks grip, sigs where top heavy, Berettas where too big, Smiths grip too square, Hks also too big. Plus the Ruger costs less, which appealed to her.

My limited experience in this field is that some smaller women(and men!) cannot handle modern macho auto-pistols with the ease and SAFETY they should, as they are (to them)"big, high springed, complicated, heavy, hard to reload and the re-sighting flip/recoil is high", while felt recoil is satisfactory depending on calibre/design and pistol weight etc.

So,I would fully endorse the previous scheme of asking everyone on the range who is willing to lend you their pistol and for her to try ALL of them until she gets a sympatico one. (Yes, even a s/steel S&W revolver in 9mm or 38/357 !)

But even then, she can change her mind...

------------------
***Big Bunny***

In a previous existence I was a LE firearms trainer; one of the optional semiautos was the Glock. As it happened, the Model 19 turned out to be the most suitable and popular with female officers (who had to purchase the guns from personal funds). I have also trained a number of other women on them, to include my daughter who was 13 at the time we started. The key elements were shooter motivation and careful one-on-one training. Usually, when training non-gun people I prefer to teach the operation of that one gun to the point where everything becomes a habit. The Glocks have turned out to be a very good tool for female shooters. That said, not everyone ought to have a semiauto. A good DA revolver is never a mistake and may even be the best choice. It takes some time to thrash this out. My wife clings firmly to her M37 airweight and shoots it very well. For her, it is the best gun in the world and I don't argue with her on it.

------------------

As many said - try 'em at a range.

From guns, I've tried, I recommend
the Glock 19 and 26, Kahrs and SW 3913.
The later two have very nice grips
for smaller hands.

You guys are so right about shooters letting you try out their guns. Each and every gun feels and handles so differently. It is a challenge finding that one (or more :)) that is perfect for you.

Take your better half to the range. Strike up conversations with whomever is there shooting. I'm finding after I shoot a few rounds and they can see I'm a shooter, they start breaking out their guns. "Here see how you do with this one!" Borrow or rent as many guns as you can try. I've learned a lot by trying out everything I can get my hands on.

I'm not afraid to walk up to men at the range and say "what are you shooting today." Try it, and you will see.

BTW..I borrowed a Browning 9 mm today and really liked it, but like I said, it's all personal preference.

Happy shooting and be safe.
J

As stated above, don't be shy about striking up conversations with people around you at the range. You'll just have to yell real loud w/ear protection on. :)

Most "gun people" love showing off their guns and would be very willing to let your wife give 'em a try. Every gun has its own distinctive "feel". Have her try as many as she can before investing lots of money in one.

With respect to all opinions, especially those postings by bk40,JJR,Peter Gunn, DWM,
and Big Bunny; I would highly recommend that
your wife be allowed to try a "large" variety
of weapons, both semi-auto's and revolver's.
If she happens to be a first time shooter,
why not start with .22LR caliber? They are
fairly inexpensive, will last a lifetime, and
allow for hours of enjoyment at your local
firing range. May I suggest several .22's
to choose from:

SEMI-AUTO'S
1) Ruger Mark II KMK-512 (my favorite)
Constructed of stainless steel, with
51/2" bull barell. Extremely accurate.
Price- between $289.00 and $325.00
depending on your locale.

2) Browning- not sure of the model; but
I think it's called the Buckmark?
Also, a shooter and extremely accurate.
Price- Unknown?

3) Colt Match Target Woodsman- discontinued
but there are still a few around. This
gun is a super shooter. Comes with the
very fine Ellison adjustable sight's.
Very capable of one hole groups; if the
shooter can stay that steady?
Price- on request from the dealer or
person that happens to own one of these
jewels.

REVOLVER'S
1) Smith & Wesson Model 17/617 6" barrel
Adjustable sight's; blue sreel or 617
is stainless steel. Very good shooter.
Price- Around $325.00 in blue (used) to
unknown?

2) Colt Diamondback Discontinued but a
real shooter. Comes in blue steel or
nickel finish. Prices vary greatly
depending on where you find one?

3)Smith & Wesson Model 18 4" barrel
blue steel, adjustable sight's. Mine
had a target hammer and trigger. Saw
one in the Birmingham, AL New's a
couple of weeks ago for $209.00 in
used condition. Dealer was Plaza Gun
and Pawn. Mr. Harry Deal is the
owner. He is also an expert pitol smith.

All of these are excellent choice's. Some
are moderately priced; while others may send
a family budget into orbit? Good luck on your
selection.

------------------
Ala Dan

I agree with Ala Dan. It took me awhile to be convinced that I did not need a large, high caliber gun while I'm in the learning process.

I went out, on my own (my husband does not shoot), and bought myself a .22 Ruger Mark II. I'm so happy I've taken this route. Last night one of my trainers told me that guns are like cars. They basically have all the same features, each one a little different in how they drive and feel.

His point was, I'm a student driver. I have no idea how to turn on my lights and put it in drive. As with any teenager learning to drive, it takes lots of practice.

I can tell you this, I'm practicing SO much, I'll be ready for the Daytona 500 before I know it. It was hard for me to buy a .22, I won't lie. I wanted to go right to the "semi trucks". :D :D :D

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back