Best .40 auto ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTW

Inactive
Having some trouble deciding which .40 auto to purchase. S&W 410/4013TSW looks nice and feels good but are there any problems? Don't want to spend a fortune but I need reliability as this will be home defense for my spouse when I'm not carrying. Thanks!

I have a Walther P99 40, and my wife has an HK USP Compact 40. We've fired about 400 rounds each and each has been very reliable and fun to shoot.

If you've looked at S&W, you might check out the SW99: it's their version of the Walther P99, and I've read that it's highly reliable.

Although the 4013TSW is a quality product, I personally find it overpriced. The 410 isn't finished as nicely as the TSW, but it's also a good product and often a better deal. Of course, the TSW is a compact while the 410 is full size, so the two pistols aren't entirely comparable.

FWIW, my own favorite .40 from S&W is the Model 4006. It's the same size and configuration as the 410 but has a higher grade of finish and a steel frame. It's also substantially heavier than either the TSW or the 410. I prefer this additional weight but not everybody does. So, while the 4006 should be a good house gun, it might be too heavy for comfortable carry or for use by the spouse (at least, my wife finds it too heavy).

BTW, much as I like S&Ws, my overall favorite .40 is the Glock 23. :)

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited October 13, 1999).]

Ok, here is my 2 cents worth: I think the 40 S&W is a great cartridge for concealed carry. You get the bigger oompf than the 9mm in a smaller package than a 45acp.
But for around the house-the 45acp is the better round.(Plus a 12 gauge!)
I have a Glock27 for the concealed times, and a H&kusp45 for the home times.
If you must be cheap(It still is legal to own more than one!!!)-and want to combine concealed with home, a Glock23 is a pretty good piece.
There is no perfect gun for every situation.

I can't tell you which .40 is THE best, but I own a Kahr K40 (.40s&w) and at the very least, it's a runner-up. This is one gun that I will NEVER part with. It has great ergonomics and is a natural pointer. The grips are very comfortable and thin, GREAT for women/people with small hands. The only negative thing I have ever heard about a Kahr is regarding the weight. 27oz. unloaded, fine for a house gun but some feel it is slightly heavy for carry. The weight doesn't bother me and it helps reduce the recoil of the .40.

DWM :)

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited October 14, 1999).]

The S&W 4013-TSW is AWSOME! I saw one used for $350.00 the other day but didn't have the money. Get it used... S&W's depreciate quickly.

Ben

Pipper has spoken. USP .40 Compact whould be my 1st choice here.

Other options are out there...
Browning Hi Power in .40 or Glock...

Depends on what you and your wife like.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Have used the Glock 35 and it did everything well , except for dropping the mags when I wanted it too. Made me so mad I sold it.
I am now using the SigPro in .40 and I like the weapon. Shoots good has different grip
sizes and the price was right.

I have most of the weapons already mentioned, including the P99 and the S&W Shorty Forty Mk IIIs (The performance center father of the 4013TSW), but the gun I chose to carry just about everyday is the Glock 23.

I have been convinced for several years that the Glock 23 is the best combination of reliability, size, capacity and accuracy for defensive carry. If you are not going to carry the gun, the Glock 22 or the 35 would be also be great choices, higher capacity and longer sight radius are gained for the loss int he concealability/comfort department.

------------------
-Essayons

From the few .40 S&W I shot, the HK USO 40
full size was my favorite. The recoil system really makes a noticeable difference in felt recoil, as well as it just seems to works smoother.

I tried a Berreta and it felt clunky. YMMV
Between two Rugers P94 ( think its was called a 94 ). They weren't bad, and I liked them better than the Berreta, but both shot to the left consistently for me and others. Recoil is more noticeable than the HK and a felt a little less than the Berreta. ymmv and my .02

Well all I can say is stay AWAY from the HK USP .40 compact ! I had one once, I took it out to the range and had 4 live stove pipes in 400 rounds. The rest of the HK line I would recomend. I've had good luck with Sig P226 in .40S&W

------------------
Guns don't kill people, people kill people !

Even though I own a Beretta 96 FS (SS Inox, very pretty) and an 8040 Mini Cougar, I'd have to say that a SIG P229 is probably a better .40 overall. FWIW, I own a SIG P220 (two-toned, night sights, compensated match barrel - I call it my pimp-gun) and I bought the Berettas to have something different.
If money is a concern, then you probably couldn't beat a Ruger P94. If you have a little extra cash to spend, then a two-toned Para Ordnance P16-40 is tasty. If you like Glocks, then there's the G24C. HK USP40's are nice as well.
However, if I had could only have one .40, then I'd go with a SIG P229. They're very accurate, reliable and are a good size, not too big, not too small.

Later,
Rich

Sambonator:

A "stove-pipe" is a failure to eject, with the empty case trapped between the back of the barrel and the breechface. In the old days of semiauto=M1911 .45, this was almost always an instance of the empty being pointed straight up, casehead down in the action and open case mouth pointed skyward, like a stovepipe.

Except for some "type 1" etc. nomenclature I've recently heard, it is one of only two types of jams that have earned names. The other is the dreaded "nosedive" failure to feed.

Kudos on P229, I think it is the best .40 out there...
I have owned one and sold it to make another investment...
I had both barrels on this weapon...
.40 and .357SIG...
.40 is better for cost and as defense cartridge...
.357SIG is really accurate and a reliable feeder...
P229 you can't lose.

------------------
SURE SHOT

Greetings To All, I would have to also
recommend the Sig-Sauer P229 in .40S&W.
I have factory Sig-lite night sight's
on mind; and she is a shooter !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

HK USP40C. Regarding the stovepipe above: All of the quality manufacturers (HK, Sig, GLock, S&W, Walther, Beretta, Ruger) occasionally build lemons. So far, of 2000 rounds, only one ejection failure and that with a CCI Blazer (read low energy and a clingy aluminum case).

The new Steyr M-40 looks to be exceptional.
Its site system would a fun change.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

A good friend of mine owns a couple of Smiths. He hardly ever cleans them and I was impressed that they still functioned flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back