best .22lr rifle

Robert C >>> IMO, you can't beat a Ruger 77/22 or a Kimber .22 bolt gun. I've no experience with Savage .22s, but own 3 Savage 112Vs in .222, 22-250, and 220 Swift (bolt guns), a 99E in .308 (lever gun), and a model 24 (.22m/.410 o/u). I Have been very satisfied with all but the .222. Maybe I just haven't found the right load yet, but it won't do much under 2" 100 yd groups, full floated or bedded.

I like my Ruger 10/22. Just shoot it first if you go to the range. It's less exciting to shoot a .22lr rifle after firing your big bores...

------------------
Join the NRA!!!

No doubt the 10/22 is a great rifle, I've had a full stocked scoped one for many years.
On the other hand, I still like my Winchester 9422 (lever action) and Remington #6 (slide action) for one big reason (among others).It is their ability to feed shorts, longs, LR, birdshot and anything else .22 rimfire that you can find. I find this to be a plus if you want shoot some light loads for various reasons. I use to shoot bb caps and shorts down a long hall in my house. They are very quiet coming out of a 22" barrel.

Robert C, the Savage line of .22 bolt actions are actually Lakefield designed, and formerly produced. I have a Lakefield .22 lefty bolt rifle; a decent if somewhat cheaply made gun, that shot well. It was reliable until the flimsy magazines wore out. The metal work is rough, the stock is very cheap, but the darn thing would shoot. At the time I bought it I was pretty poor and couldn't afford a better left-handed bolt .22. Hell, I still can't. ;)

Vince:

I'd have to throw in with the 10/22 clan. The Ruger is the do-everything of rimfires, especially with some judicious tuning. Drop in a Volquartsen hammer (an easy swap) and the litigation-proof trigger pull will drop to around 2.5 lbs.

Are there "better" .22s? That depends on your needs. The Sako Finnfire is a great rifle, but not so hot if you need a replacement part. I'd definitely stay with something domestic if Y2K is part of your equation.

Ruger 10/22, what a great gun. I got it when I was 14. Shot tens of thousands of rounds through it. Never had a problem with it. My friends however, purchased other types of rifles and to this day they are always fiddling with them and having a lot of misfires.
One useful note: Never buy Ramline clips. It's a lot of fun to rapid-fire 50 rounds at a time, but you will only get to have this fun for a month and then the damn thing will break. I'm glad that I bought my clips before the ban when they were cheap, but they still don't work. Stick to the Ruger 10 round clips. Those are very reliable.

The consensus seems to be the Ruger 10/22 is the best value. Next question is there a difference in accuracy/trigger between the standard model for $150 and the target heavy barreled model for $270?

Although I have a few 10/22s, I have not bought a 10/22T. Does Ruger do any other mods on the action other than lighten the trigger? Doing this yourself is actually a simple procedure as is the quick bolt release. I'd go with buying a standard 10/22 and modify it to your liking. (barrel, stock, lighter trigger, extended mag release, etc.)

- Ron V.

------------------

Back