Best 12gague with a pistol grip for home defence.

Kevinch said:
"recoil of a 12 is said to be vicious when set up this way."

Been there, done that with 3" magnum 00 buck, #4 buck, & S&B 00 buck from a Winchester 1200 pistol grip (with riveted side saddle and Butler Creek folding stock). The reports of "vicious" recoil from using only the pistol grip are a bunch of BS unless the shooter weighs under 150lbs and is slight of height and frame.

For a college dorm I'd use the pistol grip and #6 birdshot backed up by #4 buck and, if with a sidesaddle, backed up by 00 buck. Slugs are way too penetrative.

I'd keep the folder's screw tight and the hinge oiled though for ease of swinging out the stock if needed for longer range work - over 5 yards.

What if the shooter is 6'4 and weighs 135 lbs? Seriously, does the recoil of a PG only go straight back to the wrists or does it jar your ribcage (when fired from the hip)? I suspect that would be quite painful either way

Solitar,I'm 6'2", 250 lbs,take a size 52 coat, rarely wear a wrist watch because I can't find a band that will fit, and leave the area fragrant with newly made testosterone when I walk through. I've survived one war, three prison riots and a couple of Cub Scout camping trips. And no shotgun of mine has ever had only a PG nor will they.

PG only shotguns are vicious kickers. I've more experience with them than most, for years it was my job to shoot them and teach others to also. A 5 round demo stings,10 rounds or more can hurt.

The kick can be dealt with to an extent by training and practice. What cannot be improved is the plain fact that it's harder to hit with the $%^&* things than with a shoulder operated weapon.In crises, one heckuvalot harder. And those are the last places one needs extra limitations.

If one is committed to the idea that short range scenarios are best dealt with by hip shooting and PG shotguns, fine. Just do not expect either reality nor myself to agree.

Another vote against the pistol grip-only stock. Almost every one of the "buckshot rounds to the ceiling" at the range I used to work at happened because people didn't know how to handle a pistol-gripped shotgun. Unless you've got a TON of training, you're very likely going to shoot way high, possibly over the target.

One mistake a lot of people make when shooting PG-shotgun is to keep the shoulder and elbow locked in. Big mistake, as it really beats your hand and wrist up.

The best way to handle the recoil is to let your arm and elbow pivot back with the recoil. That absorbs a lot of the force, and takes a lot of the strain off of your hand and wrist.

"...leave the area fragrant with newly made testosterone when I walk through."

Hard to know if that's a good or bad thing. :)

Years back I put a pistol grip on a Mossberg and shot it. Once. I like some "kick" to my guns (which is why I don't own a .22), but pain is another subject altogether.

For what it's worth,
I agree that a PG only shotgun is a poor choice. In addition to what has been posted they present some real hazards to the good guy using one if faced with a weapon retention situation. A full-sized stock give you more leverage to retain your weapon and can be used to butt stroke the bad guy with in follow-up moves.

Back