Berettas ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
After suffering through a few Colts that wouldn't function, I bought a 92FS and have never regretted it. It was extremely accurate out of the box and has never jammed. If I ever decide to sell or trade it I'll have to wear a blindfold (it's just too damn beautiful)!

I have a lot of respect for the Beretta 92 series. Even my Type M is a bit bulky. But for reliability they can't be beat.

Hello, my handle is LightningLink, and I'm a Beretta fan.

Have owned a 92F since '89 and loved it all the way. Recently traded in a POS Interarms PPK/S for an Italian 84FS. A little big for a .380, but sweeeeeeet.

For me, the Berettas are the most comfortable guns I've ever shot.
I haven't seen it yet, but a friend was telling me about a new 92/96 hybrid version where you can switch from 9mm to .40S&W just by changing the slide and magazine. This I've gotta see.

LL

My first handgun was a 92fs with a Pachmayr wraparound grip -- made the grip huge, but with my big mitts it wasn't any problem.

That gun was as close to perfect as any handgun I have ever seen. Never jammed. Ate anything I could fit into the magazine. Big and Black and, well, kinda sexy...

The only problem I ever had with that gun was the wimpiness of the 9mm chambering, something I can't blame on the gun.

I got kinda loopy one night, under the influence of a controlled substance, and made some ridiculously stupid trade with a friend of mine -- his .357 for my 9. Upon awaking the next morning in a more sober state, I realized how dumb the trade had been, but pride would not allow me to admit my ignorance. Finally, about two months later, I worked up the nerve to talk to the guy I had made the trade with, only to discover that he had traded the Beretta -- for a car! He's still driving my gun around today...

I will always remember the 92 with an aching fondness -- you know, love lost and all that. Probably wouldn't buy another one unless they come out with a .45 version (which I would immediately convert to .400 CorBon). But who knows? Maybe I'll find some doped up college kid who's willing to trade his 92 for a .357...

I am a 92FS/stainless owner. It is a beautiful gun and cycles operates flawlessly. The gun was clearly designed as a combat pistol and not as a target pistol --- I can only shoot groups twice as large as with my P7, SIG 226, or Glock 34. There is a lot of wobble of the barrel as it emerges from the end of the slide which accounts for the marginal accuracy. I haven't decided what the best approach is to remedy this situation. Has anyone moved to an oversized aftermarket barrel with any improvement?

I personally own three Beretta's, a 92fs, a 96f and an 85f, 9mm, 40 S&W , and .380 cal respectively. All of them sweet shooters straight out of the box. I agree the grip is a bit on the large side however I have small hands and have no problems shooting and controlling them. All of them chew up reloads like they are going out of style, even those that more finicky guns jam up on. I too am in the Military and I think that switching from the 45 to the 9mm was an outstanding idea.

------------------
Take care and God Bless, El Jefe

The more recent manufacture and all the guns made in Italy are of much better quality and I would use one if given to me. I don't like it enough to buy. If You see a 92 with a manufacture date before 1994 and it is US made, do the responsible thing when finding a firearm, STOP, DON'T TOUCH, GO TELL A RESPONSIBLE ADULT OR A COP, and hopefully they will come dispose of it. Might need the bomb squad though. Its alot of fun to shoot, very user friendly, just too darn big and the early models ARE prone to catastrophic slide and frame failures. I am in the military and think it was a move of only moderate success, yes it is reliable and accurate, but it lacks the knockdown power in required military ball ammunition. I'm a corpsman and in 9 years have sewn 5 dominant eyes from flying slides numerous hands from the infamous beretta bite, and have personally had .50 cal whizzing over my head and saw a combat failure of an M9. Most of the military police are getting the M11 which is the SIG for their carry purposes now. All I have talked to love them and say it is a massive step forward from the M9.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

My 92 was my first autoloader. I bought it sometime around 1989 or 90, after they added the lug to keep the slide out of your mouth if it breaks. That being said, after an obscene amout of shooting(never a malfunction), mine still looks brand new. Most of the reports that I heard of failures came with HOT NATO ammo!

Knowing what I know now, I would be happier with the spring loaded decock only model, but it is still a fine weapon, although a little large for routine carry.

I have said it time and again on more than one board. The Beretta, regardless of caliber has proven to be an outstanding weapon. 1911 fans used to and continue too be very negative where the 9mm is concerned, Other Manufacturers realized that the Beretta had set a standard and strove to meet or exceed it. I have seen thousands of rounds if not tens of thousands going down range through military M9 pistols. As I said in a previous post I own three myself that have had thousands of rounds put through them, and I have yet to see or experience any slides separating or anyone getting the so called...."Beretta bite" that the good Doctor describes. I have trouble envisioning anyone getting bitten unless they are mishandling the weapon in some way. I have not heard of a slide separating in the last 10-12 years and even then they were pushing the limits of ANY weapon. Please do not be swayed by innuendo other contrived notions. Bottom Line is that Beretta makes a fine weapon as good as any for reliability, funtionality. accuracy & Price It can out perform most of it's competitors. Outstanding weapon one I would and do bet my life on!!

------------------
...Those that are willing to give up some of their rights for a little security deserve neither...Benjamin Franklin

Take care and God Bless, El Jefe

A Beretta slide failure is like the Glock KaBoom stories. Do they happen? Yes. Do they happen often? No.

I personally think there is a distinct difference in the military version, the American commercial version and, the various Italian variants floating around.

Anyone who has worked around miltary RFP's and contracts in general knows what I'm talking about. It's not about quality. :( Minimum acceptable quality at the best price possible is a more general and more accurate thought that comes to mind. Please don't confuse military and civilian markets and the pistols made for them. I know from personal experience how different the military and commercial versions really are.

Am I huge Beretta fan? No. Why? Well .... I guess if I had not been fortunate enough to buy a Glock for my first center fire auto-loader and could have passed up that expensive SIG P226 a Beretta 92 would have had serious consideration. It's not that the Beretta is a bad pistol, it's more an issue of how it distinguishes itself from all the others. For a double stack double action 9mm, the SIG P226 fits more people better I think. The Beretta just seem too large. Is this size an illusion? The P226 just seems that much smaller. Also, until recently, there were real monetary issues involved. SIGARMS was viewed as the Rolex to most people and, Glock was the ugly duckling. When there was virtually no price difference in a Beretta and a SIG, most consumers (who are much more swayed by image and marketing) will choose the Rolex, even if it is slightly more expensive. While I liked the exposed barrel, I think most general average consumers did not because no one else had them - just one more thing to worry about.

Now, in today's market, Beretta has seen the light and offers a competitively priced double action double stack in all the popular flavors (DAO, DA..) and all the popular calibers (40S&W and 45ACP being recent additions). Why would someone want to switch from their tried and true SIG or Glock or Hi-Power .....? At ~$400 for current commercial versions made in the U.S., I think the consumer at large is served very well. Unfortunately, Beretta got competitive price wise when the 9mm double stack market died.

Another item that people tend to overlook is law enforcement sales. Smith and Wesson used to dominate but, now Glock has come on strong at S&W's expense. SIGARMS also has made strong progress in the law enforcement market. Beretta seems to pick up a few really large contracts here and there but, as I drive through various parts of the country and see police officers in diners and gas stations along my way, a don't see many Beretta's. Is this because a few L.A. gang bangers figured how to field strip them in a hostile confrontation? Don't know. Since most police are not concerned with concealed carry while in a squad car, I can't see that being an issue. Hmmm ... any police procurement officers around here?

I'm starting to wonder so, I'll close here,
Sid

SID Post hit the nail on the head, the Beretta is a fine weapon, just the DOD policy of "Brought to you by the lowest bidder" saw the adoption of this weapon, when I believe they could have spent a little more and had a better firearm in the SIG. Which by the way they have started to buy in large quantities now, Designated the M11. As for the 9X19 vs. .45 ACP issue, who cares, they are both incredible stoppers, and when fired accurately can stop anyone. I think the best statement is in that the Special forces i.e. SEALS, RANGERS etc. Use the H&K USP .45!

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back