Berettas ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan:

Yeah, I like them...qualified with them for a number of years in the Army after we went to them. Had to carry one concealed everytime I left the installation for the first 6 months I was in Honduras...

I think they're a very accurate service pistol, extremely reliable, a pussy cat to shoot and relatively easy to "qualify" those troops with who have little or no experience with handguns. My only gripe...it's a bit large for a 9mm. Funny though, I don't like one well enough to go buy one.

Mike

Mike,

I feel the same way about 'em. I was a range coach during the change over from the .45s to the M9s. Got to play w/them quite a bit. This may be heresy, but I am one of the few that think we made the right move in getting the M9. They were a lot more reliable, the training was better and scores were much better. Just my observation, FWIW.

Took a few trips to Hondo and Columbia and was required to have it on my person at all times. Thought it was a little large though...

I am surprised that there isn't much of a following of Berettas here on TFL. Seems the members are Glock, Sig or H.K. fans. Don't seem to see much on Smith & Wessons either...

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

I love my Berettas. I was carrying a 92S (round trigger guard, frame mounted safety) long before the U.S. military ever thought about them. Believe it or not, there was once a time when a Beretta was an exotic gun :). I have about a dozen 92 variants including a semi-auto 93R (fart useless, but it looks pretty cool with a 30rnd mag and a muzzle brake).

I agree that they're a bit large for a 9mm... it took me a while to figure out how to carry it. I've noticed that their prices have droped significantly over the past few years. I think that 10rnd mags have pretty well killed the big hi-cap combat pistols :(. I wish the U.S. made ones could compare to their Italian bretheren in quality... or if they could, at least, start making the neat new U.S. models in Italy. Oh well, still a big fan.

Greetings. I've owned a Beretta 92 a time or two and they all worked just fine, giving no problems. The only "Beretta" 92 I currently own is a Taurus PT92 with the frame mounted thumb safety, but (thankfully) no decocking capability. I suspect that the main reason the Berettas don't get much mention is their large size for caliber, as others have noted.
Inside, they are more complex, having around 70 parts. I'm hesitant to detail my Taurus for that reason, but apparently, their system works. Berettas don't lend themselves to customizing as readily as many other makes, either. Combine all of these and it may explain why this good gun is not as popular as others. Best.

Hmmm...looks like we all feel about the same regarding the 92 series. I must admit, the past few times I've been in the gunshop I frequent, I like to take a look at the 92 Elite in .40 S&W.

Sharp looking piece...stainless steel bbl, great sights...no safety, the lever acts as hammer drop only...heavy slide from the Brigader series...very nice indeed! Naaa...I don't really need it!

Mike

One more bit of trivia...the IDPA Winter Nationals (held at the S&W Academey), Stock Service Pistol class has been won two years in a row now by the same guy shooting a 92 in 9mm...

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited August 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited August 15, 1999).]

I considered the Beretta 92F and its derivatives before I got my Walther P99. I think the new Berettas are extremely attractive-looking, and I almost bought one. Probably the only thing that kept me from buying it is its weight...too heavy for a 9mm (and too big). The Walther P99 felt almost moulded to my hand, and I really liked the looks of it. It almost passes as a compact model, being slightly smaller (and lighter) than an HK USP.
I considered a lot of models, and I'd say the Beretta's were the best-looking of all of the 9mm's I checked out...and the Glock's the ugliest.

I've got 3 (Cougar 8045, Cheetah 85, Tomcat 3032) and like 'em all. They've been very reliable (the Tomcat took about 200 rounds to settle in, the rest have never even hiccupped), accurate, and easy to maintain. The 85 is a sweetie to shoot, though a big big for a .380, and the fit and finish on the Cougar .45 is on par with my SIGS. What's not to like?
Best regards, M2

As long as we're talking Berettas, I've got a question...was in the local gunshop earlier today and saw a Beretta "Mini-Cougar" in .45 ACP...the price was approx $800.00! Geezzz..is that the going price for one of those?

If it is, what's so special about them...do regular Cougars go that high? I'd never really looked at one before.

Mike

Mike S.
I've seen new 9mm Cougars recently for as little as $399 (granted, that was a sale price as the dealer was trying to unload slow moving stock). But $800 for a Cougar, mini or otherwise is either a ripoff or misprint.

By the way, I purchased a 9mm Cougar earlier this year and am quite impressed with gun. The fit and finish is excellenct, the ergonomics are outstanding and it has never failed to fire when asked. Nice gun.

I borrowed a freinds 92fs and was very impressed with it. Was interested in the "mini-cougar" but the word mini is a complete misnomer. Beatifully crafted guns IMO but I wanted something a little smaller.

Mike S. - My Cougar .45 listed for $701 and I paid $469 (great deal, but I see them for $500-529 regularly in N. VA). $800 is waaaaay outa line. I passed on the mini-Cougar for the same reason I passed on the SIG 245 - the grip was too short for me. I also picked up an H&K USP45C about a month after the Cougar (in VA, you've got to buy 1/month, it's the law! :)) and go back and forth between the Beretta and it. I sort of lean towards the H&K because it's lighter (polymer frame), but both fit my hand nicely, are very reliable and accurate, easy to maintain and fun to shoot. Decisions, decisons!?!
Best regards, M2

I have a Beretta 96 Centurion in DAO and a Cougar 8040, also in DAO. Both are well-made and reliable weapons. I know many people dislike the DAO feature, but the trigger pull on the DAO Beretta is the smoothest of its kind. With practice, it is easy to keep them in the x-ring at 15 yards.

As for price, it is true that Berettas of all types are now a bargain. Prices in the $400 to $500 range are easy to find. Recommended.

------------------
It only takes one bullet to change your life.

I have a 92SB, made in Italy. It's a wonderful piece of workmanship. I bought it used about 10 years ago. I like it alot. Before I bought my Glock 27 the 92SB was my favorite gun, now the 92SB is my second favorite gun. So, put me down as a Beretta fan, and a Glock fan.

I've seen the Beretta 92's go through all kinds of stuff and have never seen one malfunction. To put this in perspective, I served as Weapons Petty Officer on board a Coast Guard Cutter for a few years. We had dozens of the M9's aboard and they were not treated kindly at all, these pistols would get all full of salt water, come back aboard and get rinsed in fresh water, then squirted with Break Free and shoved in the armory. Sad yes, but that's the way it worked at that unit. I'm happy to say that I instituted some changes to policy there. :)
Just wanted to let you know that these weapons can "take a licking and keep on ticking". No, I don't own one, as my Hi-Power is the only 9mm semi I need, although I do have a little .25 acp model 21A that has really impressed me as a malf free firearm that is really quite accurate if you can concentrate hard enough on the itty-bitty sights.

------------------
TJS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back