Beretta 92X-Performance frame mounted safety

Yeah, those old Taurus 92s had the best option for a safety/decocker lever. When you chambered a round, you could press down to safely decock, or press up to carry "cocked and locked". In my opinion, for the 92 Series pistol, this was the perfect alternative. It's a shame Beretta didn't use the design.

The guns CZ makes are purpose built guns, the Shadow 2 was built for production class and it rules the class. If I remember right, production class doesn't allow half cock, hence no decocker.

I have multiple guns built from CGW, safety and decocker, sitting down and dry firing, you can barely feel the difference. At the range doing drills, I can't tell.

CZ pistols really shine on the Pre B and Shadow line because they lack a firing pin block. My Pre Bs and Shadow2 with worked over triggers would make the vast number of 1911s blush.
In SA the trigger has less than 1mm of slack than breaks at 2.5lb with a quick short reset.
The da on my shadow 2 is right around 5.5 lb and smoooooth.

The SA only guns,CZ, once again different division.
The SA version of the Shadow 2 is not very popular and costs the same as the regular shadow. The SA of the regular cz75 is discontinued.

The Beretta 92x was built as a gamer gun to take on the Shadow 2.

Having both a shadow 2 and 92x performance, I'll take the CZ.

Last edited:
If I remember right, production class doesn't allow half cock, hence no decocker.

What the rule says is:
"A hammer is considered to be in the "hammer down" position when the hammer is placed there by pulling the trigger while manually lowering the hammer (manually decocking) or by activating the decocking lever if present. Manually decocking to the half-cocked position is not allowed and will result in the competitor being moved to Open division."

A CZ "D" goes to half cock when you activate the lever, which is acceptable but the gunsmiths don't like tinkering with them, so the Production shooters are pulling the trigger on the safety models.

A SIG-Sauer decocks to a rebounded position, kind of like a S&W revolver or old hammer shotgun. Not that you see many of them at matches.

The Beretta G looks pretty simple and I wonder why a 92X Production went with the thumb safety obliging you to manually lower the hammer. Because they were trying to attract CZ shooters who were used to doing it that way?

Back