BERETTA 92FS-9mm.

DUDE

I AM INTERESTED IN THE BERETTA 92FS-9mm. AND WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANY ONE THAT HAS ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS GUN.

What can I say that I haven't said before.. it's a beautiful gun... Trying to choose between this and another gun? Easy, go shoot them both and see for yourself. That way I can save myself time writing about how great they are.

I've owned three. I highly recomend them. Very accurate and reliable and user friendly. I like the looks and feel, also.

I have well over a dozen 92 variants in my collection and I've been praising them and defending them on this site for quite a while now. I think they are one of the greatest firearms ever designed.

I kinda forgot that mine are all Italian Berettas.

I just bought my first American Beretta a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that I'm very disappointed. My main gripes are: Acceptable but uninspiring accuracy, rough fitting of parts, crunchy and heavy trigger and a poorly done military spray-paint finish. Still, like a true Beretta, it never fails.
Overall I'd give mine a B-.

This isn't meant to be an attack... just the opinion of a very disappointed but still supporting Beretta fan.

I can only echo what everone has said about the Beretta, I only own one and I got it to pratice with since my TO/E weapon is a M-9. But I would recommend going to a range and test firing one. If you have average size hands you might have a problem decocking with your strong hand only and trigger reach your DA is a little large for some. Also a big problem ith military ones is crack locking blocks, but I have only seen two in the last five years that that was a problem

JJR - I just bought a barely used (US made) 92fs inox with rosewood grips and 3 hicaps. I couldn't be more pleased with the fit and finish, it's the tightest handgun I've owned. Maybe you just got a bad one...

Dude - I just sold my SW 5906 after buying the Beretta. Side by side the Beretta was better quality, better looking, lighter, etc... I say go for it!.

BTW: Check out the brand new Beretta Bulletin Board!

http://www.berettaforum.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/beretta/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

------------------
Anarchism: The radical notion that I am the sole authority when it comes to deciding what's best for me.

[This message has been edited by SlackO (edited December 11, 1999).]

...and, High-Cap magazines are readily available.

I have to agree with JJR, IMO, the Italian made Beretta's are a step above.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Dude,
Definitely can't go wrong. I have an America version and my only gripe is about the DA trigger but otherwise it's the best gun I own. Never had a failure...

Keep it clean and well lubed and you'll get years of reliable service.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I purchased the stainless Taurus 92 about 1 month ago. I mean seriously, where are you going to find such a good looking, well made gun for under 400 bucks. Don't buy a Taurus looking for Sig quality, but this gun sure as hell has nothing wrong with it. I ordered rosewood grips from Eaglegrips and that finished off the gun. I have put several hundred rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. I would defintly trust my life with it. If you can find a gunsmith who will work on these guns, ask him to do a trigger job, and polish the feed ramp. It will shoot as well as any Beretta.-DENT GUY

I wouldn't put it past the the generic version of Beretta that it could fire as well, but I have heard (from people on TFL) that the quality of the materials are not as good as the beretta. So where as it might be as accurate, it might not last as long... it's just what I have heard, so... please don't attack... I like the Taurus. Almost got one.

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

Try before you buy. I didn't care for the M9s I've fired... felt heavy and sorta awkward to me, also had one that would stovepipe NATO ball. When I was in the Balkans. Hmmm.

BUT... I've heard nothing but good stuff from owners of Beretta 92-series guns. From all I've heard the ones sold to the public are excellent. As always, try before you buy.

----------
CastleBravo

I have a early series Taurus PT-99 that has excellent fit and finish and will shoot with any off the shelf Beretta. In the 9 years that I've owned it (second hand from a WV state trooper)it has never failed to function with factory ammo. It may just be a good one but my two friends who purchased PT-92's both have the same performance from their Taurus'. And the Taurus can be much easier on the pocket.

I purchased a new Glock 19 early June 99 and like it very much. I then purchased a Beretta 92FS about 2 months ago based on reputation and just wanted to see how another 9 mm compared to the Glock. They ARE different and I like them both and shoot equally well with each one. The Beretta has a more polished feel to it but the Glock is simpler and seems a bit more robust. I currently have 700 rds. thru the Glock and 370 thru the Beretta with no problems of any kind.

I have several Italian and American guns and I must say that they are some of the best handguns I have ever fired. I have a generic 92FS with over 10K rounds through it with no problems. This is a really smooth and refined design. Take a look at the newer 92G's wich have a heavier slide, SS barrel and a decocking lever but no safety. This is the ultimate evolution in my opinion. Of course, try before you buy. Some things that people don't like are the size (thickness, and overall largeness), doesn't phase me at all.

At the range about a month a female LEO was having repeated failues to extract with her Beretta 92FS. I offered to help and she accepted. I tok the pistol apart and noticed that it hadn't been cleaned in a while. After I cleaned with some CLP (I don't know about you but I carry way too much stuff to the range) and lightly lubricating it with the same the pistol performed without a flaw.

As for the Taurus. IMHO the early PT92s, the ones WO the hammer drop feature, were world class pistols. My buddy had one that he turned into a work pistol. We treated the Taurus with outright hatred. Never cleaned it and only doused it with CLP when we took pity on the thing. It just wouldn't quit. We put about 5000 rounds of the cheapest reload garbage we could buy and it always functioned. He later sold it to a fellow who wanted a work pistol. Last I heard it was still going strong. Based on this experience my same buddy decided to get a new PT92 with the hammer drop safety. What a piece of junk! Ammo sensitive and wouldn't function when dirty. He sold it quick.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Kinda on the large side.
Not the greatest trigger.

But.......

100% reliable and accurate enough

(if you can shoot)

------------------
I am not a dangerous psychotic!
I just play one at work.

I dont own one but tested 3 in the range on separate sessions. Combat adequate and reliable, probably the reason why it became the M9. However, its not my first choice for a sidearm. There are other 9mm handgun more accurate and reliable than the 92FS. Just my personal opinion.

------------------
jj0287

I disagree with some saying there are more accurate and reliable guns out there. Not when you are talking about a factory out of the box carry/duty gun.

In my opinion the only drawbacks to the Beretta are that it is large in overall dimensions for your typical hi-capacity
9mm. Also, it's grip is kind of thick for people with medium to smaller size hands.
Be sure to handle one and shoot one before you buy to make sure it works for you.

That being said, I have two USA made Beretta 92FS's. They are both accurate, reliable, and point as naturally for me as my Gov't Model. I find the actions to be consistent in feel from gun to gun which says to me they have very good quality control.

Just be sure to change your recoil spring every couple thousand rounds. It is cheap insurance and you don't have to worry about
beating your gun up from shooting it. Also, clean and lube it properly and use quality magazines. Doesn't matter how good your gun is, if the magazines are crap, your gun won't work worth crap........

Back