Beretta 84 Stuck

heckdaddy

Inactive
I recently bought a used beretta 84bb, nickel silver. When I tried to field strip the pistol the barrel assembly will not pull forward. I also cannot pull it back to its original position. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I can upload some pictures if someone thinks it will help. This has me totally stumped.

Ooh, sounds like you may have put a bit more elbow grease

Sounds like a pretty good jam.

Pics would be great. I have a 84F and love it. Added some nice grips.

Hope someone can help you but post pics so we can get a start on it.

Hey Guys

Thanks so much for the good welcome! I was able to get the slide off with a pair of working gloves, elbow grease, and just a few swear words. There seemed to be an awful amount of gum in it. A real shame. I attached the pics of the gun before I was able to remove the slide.

Ive seen on other sights that the problem could also be a mechanical one (e.g. new guide pin?)

If you guys have thoughts Id like to hear them. Its my first pistol so this experience is new to me.

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 353
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 304
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 288
The slide should easily move forward once you have the pistol as shown in the last picture. Did the slide rack easily prior to disassembly? Did the takedown lever move easily?

The only thing that comes to mind is that there are two sizes of recoil springs used for two guide bars, one thin and one thicker. Perhaps you have a "fat" spring. The spring shoud have only a small gap between it and the rod. I have three of these pistols but no BB model to do a comparison.

Hey guys,

Well I figured I got the thing to come off last night and I was able to put it back together. When I tried to get the slide off again I was back to square one...still stuck.

Ive tried getting it with the magazine in and out and it doesnt seem to make a difference. Ive looked around the net and found this can be a common problem with the 84, and there could possibly be a burr stuck in it somewhere. Sound right?

and there could possibly be a burr stuck in it somewhere. Sound right?

No, not really. A burr on what?

Try to disassemble with the trigger uncocked, (it was cocked in your picture). Perhaps the spring on the trigger is distended a bit and poking at the locking block on the barrel.

Are the two pins, (holding the ejector and a spring), in the rear of the frame protruding into the rail area, (right above the safety)?

This is completely normal for modern blow back Berettas. To disassemble you pull back slide and let it slam into barrel breach repeatedly until the barrel and slide come off. This of course after flipping the take down lever. This is the proper procedure and will not harm the pistol. Basically, using the slide as a slide hammer. The barrels are tightly fitted to the frame for accuracy and longevity.

Last edited:
You are joking I assume. Once the disassembly lever is turned, the slide should move as if on ice...free and slick.

Nope, no joke. I own, have owned lots of Berettas and this is their (Berettas) disassembly instructions on stubborn BLOW BACK pistols. I own many Beretta .22lr target pistols and this problem is even more pronounced on these pistols because they're more tightly fitted. It's the barrel that's holding up the show, not the slide.

Re: Microgunner

I tried your method and that worked. I think I'll probably take it to a gunsmith just so he can give it a good look. I paid $325 for the gun so it could have a lot of rounds through it....won't ever know for sure though.

Heckdaddy,

Did you check that you inserted the barrel properly? When I bought my BDA.380 I found my reocurring mistake was that I did not "sit" the barrel properly, this causes the barrel to stick out just a bit and you wont be able to put the gun back together again. what you can do after you put in the barrel in the slide push the tip of the barrel with your thumb untill it sits properlly. Try locking the the disasembly lever, if you cant wiggle the barrel until it does, then you are set to go.

regards,

Thanks

I had some other people also tell me that the barrel is likely the issue. I think ive figured out how to get it to slide out, just takes a little finicky maneuvers. Thank you for your input!

Microgunner, I've had my hands on an 84, two 85's, an 87, and an 82. None of them need the treatment you describe. PSP has it right, move the disassembly lever and the slide should come off the front slick as glass. Grease and shooting it should loosen it up.

Grease and shooting it should loosen it up.

I've had this problem on several 70 & 80 series Berettas and my experience agrees with yours. Continued use improves the fit. But until then Beretta instructions are as I paraphrased above. Beretta even included this technique in their owners manuals years ago. They stopped publishing this info probably for the same reason Ruger doesn't publish the need for a hammer to disassemble and reassemble their .22 auto in their manual. It doesn't look good. Like the design is defective. But once you own the pistol you're committed and will find the proper technique. Ask Beretta.

Beretta even included this technique in their owners manuals years ago

It had to be a long time ago as my 81 manual, printed in Italy in 1990, makes no mention of this. My much newer 85 manual does not either.

It had to be a long time ago as my 81 manual, printed in Italy in 1990, makes no mention of this. My much newer 85 manual does not either.
Yes. I believe it's in my model 76 manual which is the same basic layout only single action.

Thanks to all of you for posting this. I had to do the multiple consecutive slide release technique on my 32 ACP Model 81 Cheetah. This saves me from taking it to a gunsmith! Keep up the good work!!

Back