Beretta 81 mags

because I have only the one 81 mag I've been using my regular 84 mags which work for range time well enough with the only problem being the last round will not feed. The slide locks back with one round left so I just eject the mag, reload and repeat. Better than nothing.

That said, I'll keep my eye out for a few more 81 mags.

I found a Browning BDA 380 13 round magazine at a local gun shop for $20 and bought it as an experiment. It fits a Beretta model 84 so I carefully bent the feed lips in a little and it holds and feeds 14 rounds of 32acp in my model 81 just fine. Holds open on last round, too.

I received my altered Mecgar from Robertson's today. Haven't taken it to the range yet.
It does hand-cycle, and lock the slide back. We'll see soon how it does for live fire.

I just bought an 84 barrel and some 84 magazines to turn it into a .380. All of the parts are identical between the 81 and 84 except the barrel and magazine. (Be aware of different models like the 81/84-B-BB-F-FS) Now I can use either caliber.

I ordered up a Browning BDA 380 mag after hearing HBoswell got it to work. Worth a try and on $22, I have a half dozen !has i got from Beretta before they sold oit, but a few more wouldn't hurt. I ordered a X grade 81 from AIM the other day, heck for 169 i couldn't pass it up.

I just bought an 84 barrel and some 84 magazines to turn it into a .380. All of the parts are identical between the 81 and 84 except the barrel and magazine. (Be aware of different models like the 81/84-B-BB-F-FS) Now I can use either caliber.
I've looked a few times on Gunbroker, there's a seller that sells guns "minus the frame" for cheap. I believe these are police impounds on the way to scrap, the list the parts starting off pretty low (and the listing is basically complete, minus the frame).
I believe the seller is "Gunbusters".

I've chased a couple of Browning BDA's for that very reason, but the price went too steep for me. The last one I bid on, was actually the exact correct match as far as model- the telltale sign is the recoil spring guide rod. Any BDA or 84 would provide a barrel swap, but for a true parts kit you need the correct guide rod too. The slide and grips would be a throwaway, but the rest should fit. And you can use the 81's slide.

Watching the last BDA kit go, I'm certain the other bidder was aware of the exact same thing. It was older (thus correct to the 81), and the slide was pretty rough; but it went for more than a previous BDA kit that would only have provided just the barrel (I think it would have matched a BB for the rest). Went over $100.
I'd have pushed and got it, but decided I really don't want a .380 THAT bad. I don't have another .380, instead I have 9x18 Makarov in a few pistols, and .32 acp in others.

I've tried to limit ammo as best I can, so I've avoided .380, just as I avoid .40 (I go with 9x19 in that category). Seems like whenever I add a caliber, I have to stock up at least 1-2 cases of ammo in reserve, and then add a couple more pistols to make it more useful. I've already got a collection that rivals or surpasses a lot of LGS :o, despite "not being a gun nut" :D. I don't want to add another batch.

I just bought a Beretta 81 chambered in .32ACP

Looking for extra mags now... Some I've found are too pricey (near $50) and I only paid $200ish for the gun
0831190903a.jpg

I just bought a Beretta 81 chambered in .32ACP

Looking for extra mags now... Some I've found are too pricey (near $50) and I only paid $200ish for the gun
View attachment 110150
I can report the modified Mecgar 84 mag I got from Robertson's Trading Post works great, no failures to feed with Geco, PPU, Fiocchi and Blazer .32 acp, which I tested yesterday at the range.

I saw the link here, they list them on GunsAmerica, I don't think on Gunbroker or anywhere else that I could find. Price was reasonable, something like $24 offhand. You can get 3 for free shipping, or less for $3 shipping.

For what it's worth, people say these mags can hold 13 rds, instead of 12. Technically, yes... but getting that last round in is darn tough.

Beretta now has the OEM mags in stock again, but I'd take the chance on the Mecgar mod for half the price.

Went to a Gun Show yesterday and found two vendors who had Beretta 81 mags, one each, they were $85 each. Ouch. Also found a guy who had 3 BDA 380 mags for $30 each. None of the big dealers had any 81 mags and they wanted $35-$40 each for Mecgar and Beretta factory 84 mags. I think I'll stick with the "Cow County" shows. Smaller show but much friendlier pricing.

So the 84 barrel wouldn't work with an 81bb? Would another model?

The 84 barrel will work, but you probably won't be able to find one listed as such. You can find a barrel for a Browning BDA, which is the same part. I have one for my 81BB. You also need 84 magazines which are readily available, I got MecGars as they work great and are cheaper than Beretta mags.

Back