Bench mounted powder measures

Just keep in mind some powder VMD's can vary as much as about 12% from one lot to the next, so that while VMD gets you in range, you still need to check your throw weights on a scale or else use very conservative data.

Western powders lists density and VMD's for their Ramshot and Accurate powders with tolerances on their web site. The Ramshot line seems to be consistent, but the Accurate line shows tolerance variations with different types.

I like my Uniflow, but for under $50 I'd stick with the Lyman. Amazon has them for $49 with free shipping. As for the Lee.......I'd pay a tad more to get more, even if you only are going to use it occasionally.

VMD is not an alternative to a good scale. It just gets you in the ballpark a lot quicker. When I have calculated the volume for the load I want to drop, it does drop very close to that. The ultimate judge is the scale, but using VMD to set your volume setting is good a development. Lee's powder measure settings are in cubic centimeters seem pretty accurate. But your scale tells you the weight of your charges.

Sounds like it was a well spent $25. I know a guy who keeps 5 of them mounted all set to a specific powder charge. $125 bucks and he never has to change measurements

I tried Accurate #9 and Unique. Unique did as well as Trail Boss, but AA#9 was a real pain to work the handle and throw a charge. There was some powder leakage, which given how fine that powder is I'm not surprised. Here I was thinking that Bullseye was a fine powder, but this AA#9 was so small I was concerned that I should wear a mask so I don't breathe it in.

So, I think AA#9 is going to be exclusive to the Hornady automatic dispenser. It doesn't seem like a powder that's going to work well with the drum style measures.

However, the Lee Auto Disk measure... that one it may work with fine powders because that's a very different method of throwing a charge. Can anybody who owned or still owns a Lee Auto Disk tell me how it did with very fine powders?

If I decide to use AA#9 in .357 and 10mm regularly, I'm gonna have to look at getting something other than the Lee Auto Drum and PPM I have now cuz I'm not going to accept weighing every charge with the Hornady dispenser.

So far I can say that with flake powders like Trail Boss and Unique, this measure does extremely well and is well worth the money. If you use very fine powders a lot, I would not get this measure.

Can't tell you how it does with stick or ball powders.

Last edited:
.....At any rate, he tested them all, and by a very small margin the Lee threw more consistent charges than the Harrel, Jones, Redding BR-30, RCBS, Lyman etc. measures. Probably not statistically significantly better, but still, better.

The reason for that is because all cavity powder measures run on volume(duh, cavities), and all of them no matter the price have the same tolerance of .02(two tenths) of a grain, doesn't matter what name is on the front, nor how much you paid for it. Of course if you bought the expensive redding or whatever you are going to tell yourself over and over that it is better until you are convinced of it.
As mentioned, the elastomer wiper in the Lee does not crunch nor cut powder, and the BR shooter in the article found that to their advantage.

"all of them no matter the price have the same tolerance of .02(two tenths) of a grain, doesn't matter what name is on the front, nor how much you paid for it."
This is not true, and is an false generalization by some one who does not use and handled these products. Tolerances of results not only vary, but OP is getting quadruple result tolerance. (after correcting your numerical error). Most measure makers claim one tenth of a grain result Tolerances. This is written numerically as "0.1 grain". Your "0.02" would be two hundredths of a grain. Tolerances of piece manufacturing are a very limited use, and value, variable here.
The materials used to manufacture the products vary widely. The 3-D shape deminsions of the cavity volume are important for different powder types. Durability is an issue. Calibration and volume adjustment mechanism, graduations are important. Repeatability of results is critical.
Other than that, I still doubt I would agree with what you are trying to say.

Many years ago I was given a Lyman measure. It's great with ball and flake powders but it's about useless with extruded powders.

I bought a Lee perfect measure only for use with with extruded powders and I'm quite happy with it. I'm still overly picky and I measure into the pan of my RCBS scale and weigh every load. I find that I have to trickle more powder in maybe on in 5 loads. However if I just dumped the powder directly into the cases, it would still be more consistent than factory ammo...

Tony

Can't tell you how it does with stick or ball powders.

I always got a bit of leakage with TAC and CFE, but stick is where the Lee shines. The plastic was less prone to cutting kernels than the hard metal of my other throws.

This is not true, and is an false generalization by some one who does not use and handled these products.

It is true, actually. One anecdotal example does not erase that.

Yes, I did extend the decimal point an extra, thanks for helping me out there. :)
It is indeed .2 as in two tenths.

Back