Bench mounted powder measures

TruthTellers

I had not planned on ever getting a manual powder measure because I figured that the measure on my press and an automatic powder dispenser/scale would do everything I need, but I'm starting to think maybe it's time to look into one for reloading .32's or for doing small batches of new handloads.

I mention the .32 specifically as I use the Lyman M die for expanding as the Lee expander I have doesn't do a good job, bullet always end up getting cocked during seating and the M die doesn't have the ability for me to mount a powder measure to it.

So, for the purposes of speed, I've decided to look into manual powder throwers and I'd like to know what's a good measure for $50 or less? I'm not interested in spending $80 or more for a Hornady or RCBS, they may be high quality, but I'm not using them to load ammo to win a match, I just want something faster, but is fairly accurate.

From what I can see there are two Lee measures, a Lyman, and a Frankford Arsenal available on Midway right now that are under $50.

Lee Perfect Powder Measures work well, and cost about $25. I own two. They can be mounted on a bench and come with a bracket. They also slide right into Lee powder through expander dies, for usr on a turret.
If you want a nicer metal one Lyman #55 work well for $80, and can also be used on a bench (with your stand) or adapted to mount on a press.

Lee Perfect Powder Measures work well, and cost about $25.

You get what you pay for.

Check Ebay for used powder measures in your price range.

I will assume that you are loading for pistol. I have a Lyman #55 that is hard to beat for flake or ball powder. I weigh every fifth load for a check, don't trickle at all for pistol. It will also work well with stick powder, but I do trickle for that.

I will assume that you are loading for pistol. I have a Lyman #55 that is hard to beat for flake or ball powder. I weigh every fifth load for a check, don't trickle at all for pistol. It will also work well with stick powder, but I do trickle for that.
Yeah, mostly pistol, but I can't rule out that in the future it won't be used for stuff like .308 or .45-70, but with those I'd either trickle up on a beam scale or use the electronic Hornady powder dispenser/scale.

Lee Perfect Powder Measures work well, and cost about $25. I own two. They can be mounted on a bench and come with a bracket. They also slide right into Lee powder through expander dies, for usr on a turret.
If you want a nicer metal one Lyman #55 work well for $80, and can also be used on a bench (with your stand) or adapted to mount on a press.
I have a Lee auto drum for use with the expander dies, so the Lee's ability to slide into an expander die is not useful for me, really. The Deluxe Lee measure is almost double the price as the $25 Lee you mention, but I've seen some negative things with that measure leading me to believe it's not worth the price.

Lyman #55 is way too much money for what I intend to use it for.

This is the Lyman I'm talking about

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019622550?pid=443812

Kevin Rohrer said:

Check Ebay for used powder measures in your price range.
You ever use one?

Kevin Rohrer said:
Lee Perfect Powder Measures work well, and cost about $25.

Yes, you do. You get a powder measure that does the job very adequately, for a half or a third of what anything else costs.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a "does everything" powder measure but for the purpose being discussed -- loading one cartridge that isn't amenable to charging on the press -- IMHO there's nothing wrong with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I've had one for years.

I've not used any of the three you are considering. I have used both the RCBS Uniflow and Hornady LNL considerably and can recommend either of those. Most of the several Lee products I've used have been disappointing so of the three I would likely go with the Lyman or possibly the FA.

Edit: Looks like the Lyman doesn't come with a mounting bracket or stand, another factor to consider.

Last edited:
Lee Perfects are great for stick, not so great for a fine ball or flake. The leaks are fixable but can be annoying.

Lyman 55 is currently my throw of choice and works fine for anything from pistol to magnum rifles. They have been around forever so used throws are thick on Ebay. You should be able to find a used one around $50 or less

Old Italian proverb.

"Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get."

Save your money and get a Redding, Hornady, RCBS, etc. In the long run, you;'ll be darned glad you did. And I'm speaking from experience here.

The Hornady and RCBS are "dead nutz" accurate and can be mounted on your progressive with an adapter as well as on the bench.

In the long haul, I've never saved any money by buying cheap.

I've not used any of the three you are considering. I have used both the RCBS Uniflow and Hornady LNL considerably and can recommend either of those. Most of the several Lee products I've used have been disappointing so of the three I would likely go with the Lyman or possibly the FA.

Edit: Looks like the Lyman doesn't come with a mounting bracket or stand, another factor to consider.
The mount is separate and costs $24.

Yes, you do. You get a powder measure that does the job very adequately, for a half or a third of what anything else costs.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a "does everything" powder measure but for the purpose being discussed -- loading one cartridge that isn't amenable to charging on the press -- IMHO there's nothing wrong with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I've had one for years.
How does it do with flake powders? That seems to be most of what I'm using for .32's. In fact, the powders I'm normally using or plan to use are Trail Boss, Blue Dot, Bullseye, and Unique.

I use the Lee pro auto disk on the press, the lee auto drum on the press and have a Lee PPM on my bench.

"Trail Boss, Blue Dot, Bullseye, and Unique" I use all but Blue dot for handguns, but don't load as low as you need to go for .32 auto. I find the Lee pro auto disk to be very accurate with small charges of bullseye in 32 H&R and 38 special. It is very consistent down to 2.8gr of bulleye. I'd personal stay away from Unique as it does not throw consistently for me when I use the small disks.

All of my Lee powder measures are accurate, reliable and consistent when used correctly. One pro auto disk measure is over 10 years old with well over 50,000 rounds loaded and its still functioning perfectly.

the Lee perfect gets a lot of good reviews, some complaints about leaks with fine powder. That is fixable by tightening a screw. Actually works better with stick than 99% of the throws out there. Sometimes simple just works

Links to Reviews

While I use a Redding powder measure at home, in the NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading course I teach, we use a RCBS Uniflow. It works great with both flake and ball powders, but with extruded rifle powder you will get some hangups that happen when some of the extruded rods are getting cut. The Uniflow can be found used for less than $50 and I recommend it for someone on a budget.

Don

If you are not loading max loads or shooting competition,I have a suggestion.
It costs essentially nothing except a little of your time to explore the possibility.

Decades ago I had not yet afforded a powder measure.I did have a good Ohaus 505 scale.

For some applications I weighed every charge.

But for 30 Carbine plinking and blasting loads,5.56 ammo that would cycle reliably,and not-quite-max 44 magnum loads

I'd solder an appropriate size straight wall cartridge case to a loop of heavy gauge copper wire and make a dipper.

I'd trim the dipper till t threw the right charge.

Before you reject the idea,make a dipper,pour some powder into a cup,and develop a repeatable,uniform technique of dipping and striking off the top.

Then weigh 20 charges and record your results.

Try smaller diameter cases,such as 32 auto or 30 carbine vs 45 acp.

You might be surprised at how well you do.

All a powder measure is ? A controlled,adjustable dipper.

I'm not dipping smokeless powder and I'm not wasting my time putting a dipper together. If you don't think measures under $50 are worth the money, just say so.

If you don't think measures under $50 are worth the money, just say so

No need to get your thong in a wedge! If you want a powder measure,buy one.

I really don't care.

I was not raining on your parade or telling you what to do,I was offering a practical,low cost option.

I regret the time I wasted on you.

Have a nice day! :)

Used the Lyman 55, and went to the RCBS Uniflow in the late 70s. No complaints and I don't even know where the small cavity went lost it deacades ago and never missed it. Smallest loads I throw are for .32ACP and .22 Hornet, largest is .458 Win mag. I get good operation with everything.

NOT "perfectly smooth always the same" with different powders, because its the nature of the beast. Stick powders get kernals cut. Live with it. Ball and flake are slightly different in "feel" again, so what?

I don't use Lee tools above the level of their punch and base decapping set, and only have a couple sets of Lee dies. They are cheap, they do work but I don't like the way they are made and what most are made of. Its Features, not functional quality that puts me off Lee. If you like them, fine. I don't.

I'm not dipping smokeless powder and I'm not wasting my time putting a dipper together.

Why would smokeless powder make a difference to you?

Making your own dipper for a specific powder and charge is an old, old idea, and its more modern counterpart is the Lee dipper kit with a range of different sized scoops. Never bothered with the dippers myself, as I began loading with the .308 Win and a year or so later when I began loading for pistols (where dippers are most useful) I already had a good powder measure that would adjustably handle all my needs and wants.

Back