Beginner Searching for a CCW

ryanjblajda said:
yeah i noticed that. the trigger pull was just sooo long compared to my friends .40 SDVE
The trigger pull on a Ruger SR is lighter and shorter than an SDVE. The SDVE is known for having a pretty bad trigger (unless your friend upgraded his trigger). I'm guessing the Ruger you tried was an LC9, the single-stack subcompact. They have a very long trigger pull and an equally long reset.

yeah i shot the lc380. while i liked the physical size of the gun and the recoil (or lack thereof) the trigger pull was awful. so im pretty much decided on getting the glock. i just want to find a range that has one i can shoot before i buy it.

The trigger pull on a Ruger SR (or any other striker-fired pistol) is not like a 1911 at all

If you say so. I used to carry a 1911 as a service weapon years ago when I was in the Navy. When in port, I was the guy with the gun at the top of the ship's ladder. The job title was Petty Officer of the Watch, if you want to web search it. Yes it was a real government issue 1911, not a high dollar custom job.
Today I have a SR9 and SR9C. The pull is light, (Gunblast rated its SR9c with a trigger pull of 5.2 lb . The trigger travel is 0.31 in, If the SR didn't have a thumb safety, (similar to a 1911), I would not use it as a EDC. But it does, so I do. Blind folded I don't think I could tell the difference between the two. My finger don't know what makes the cap detonate, and my finger really don't care.

But you win, your opinion has a higher value than mine. As you have implied, I don't know what I am talking about.

Last edited:
DannyB1954 said:
But you win, your opinion has a higher value than mine. As you have implied, I don't know what I am talking about.
There's no need to be dramatic about it. What you said was factually incorrect. Period.

A 1911 is a single-action design where the hammer is fully cocked. The SR is a partially-cocked striker-fired design. And therefore their triggers have a distinctly different feel, especially in the take-up and in the reset. Try one trigger vs. the other back-to-back and you'll see the difference.

Can't go wrong with a Glock. Depending on your main use of the gun, I'd consider either a G27 or G23 (if you want to stay with the .40, if 9mm the G26 or G19). The G27 will carry a little bit easier, and if you're going to be carrying it constantly might make more sense. The G23 is, I think, a better all around size. It's small enough to carry easily but big enough to fight with. It comes with an accessory rail and would make a better home defense option than the 27, so the 23 can fill both roles (carry and home defense). Try both and see which fits you better, that's the main thing.

I've had almost every model Glock and my overall favorite is the G23. Although I really like the subcompacts like the 27/26, they're not small enough to pocket carry so they have to go on the belt, and if I'm having to wear a belt, I'd rather have the slightly bigger G23, it carries almost as easily and holds more ammo.

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new myself and haven't been on in a while. As you've already seen, you can obtain a wealth of information here, as I have. Thanks to everyone who has weighed in - great thread!

From Orlando, you'd be traveling a good 100 miles, but you might want to check out Gainesville Target Range for your CCW class: http://www.gainesvilletargetrange.com/concealed-carry

These folks are REAL pros and, in my opinion, the quality of instruction is superb. They offer Saturday classes which run eight full hours plus an hour for lunch. They're not cheap either. But after spending a day with them, not only will you be legal for applying for your permit, but you'll be comfortable with your firearm. You can bring your own gun or rent one of theirs. You'll go through a hundred rounds of ammo. I don't know anything about facilities/classes in Orlando - there are probably some good ones. But the folks in Gainesville are awesome.

FWIW: I purchased a Sig P938 for my carry weapon. I love it.

SigSauerKraut said:
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new myself and haven't been on in a while. As you've already seen, you can obtain a wealth of information here, as I have. Thanks to everyone who has weighed in - great thread!

From Orlando, you'd be traveling a good 100 miles, but you might want to check out Gainesville Target Range for your CCW class: http://www.gainesvilletargetrange.com/concealed-carry

These folks are REAL pros and, in my opinion, the quality of instruction is superb. They offer Saturday classes which run eight full hours plus an hour for lunch. They're not cheap either. But after spending a day with them, not only will you be legal for applying for your permit, but you'll be comfortable with your firearm. You can bring your own gun or rent one of theirs. You'll go through a hundred rounds of ammo. I don't know anything about facilities/classes in Orlando - there are probably some good ones. But the folks in Gainesville are awesome.

FWIW: I purchased a Sig P938 for my carry weapon. I love it.

thanks for the advice! i will definitely take a look at their classes. I might ask them what places they would recommend in orlando if they know of any the like. 100 miles is a bit far, but if its the only good one around then ill make a weekend out of it or something.

Back