Beginner question: How to get rid of a nasty flinch

>I was told to let the discharge “surprise” you. And let it happen, don’t make it happen.<

Exactly right. Smooth uniform trigger -press- equals good shooting.
If nothing else works, get a 12 gauge, buy 100 rds of inexpensive birdshot and just bang away. Then shoot your regular weapon and see if the flinch thing just sort of disappears.

Last edited:
I would disagree with this:

E. Stuff that doesn't work ...Dry fire....Focusing on trigger control

Based on the author's own argument (and my experience) giving the eyes a role, job to focus on allows one to focus on one element at a time. Everything up to the point of firing can be the same whether with or without live ammo. When someone is dealing with multiple elements of a flinch - the anticipation, the blink, it's a struggle to develop consistency: trigger control, grip pressure, stance. Removing the explosion from the equation lets the learner fine tune these things in a low pressure environment, observing keenly what works and what doesn't. It gives a chance to give the eyes a job to do. Being able to focus on the sight picture then the front sight without the pressure of live fire makes a world of difference. There is so much chaos and multitasking that any technique to improve each element one at a time is helpful to those that need it.

Your brain knows that an empty gun doesn't go boom. It knows there is no flash or blast or recoil coming, so it doesn't feel any need to protect the eyes or shove the gun around. Lots and lots and lots of people can dry fire with perfect accuracy and have a horrendous flinch with live ammo.

Yes your brain knows when it is live fire and not. Are we saying it doesn't help at all to learn unless it's on a live range? So someone learning piano doesn't benefit from practice at home, only performing under the pressure of a concert?

I think dry firing would help from the standpoint of developing muscle memory, helping to overcome the tendency to flinch. Anytime a function becomes an automatic thing through training it helps overcome bad habits associated with that function, really the main reason why we train.

So someone learning piano doesn't benefit from practice at home, only performing under the pressure of a concert?
Well...one things probably for sure with that approach - it's one lesson you won't ever forget... ;) .

Back