Bedside safe or safeless??

im just a guns out person,12ga pump by the headbord and over the front door,cheap .38 in the kitchen,wifes and my glocks at bedside while asleep, mine on me when i get up, both boys have a pump shotgun in their bedrooms.we live 15 miles out of town in the sticks so bumps in the night usaully has at least me and one of the boys up investigating it.

[I agree and also about waking up with your kid standing at your bed. Another benefit of the mechanical lock is that you can have your combination and pre-punch all or part of it when going to sleep. This would allow you to have a very simple partial code to punch (maybe the last 1 or 2 buttons) or simply just turn the knob to access your gun. In the morning just turn the knob 1/4 turn counterclockwise to reset it.]

That is kinda what I've decided, FAS1. Easy fix without ever removing gun but still immediate access from lifting lid. Really the best all-around option.

Oddly enough, I'm really not worried about my kids by bedside. I'm actually worried about the other direction. My kids come into room probably 3 times/week , during night, for bad dream or can't sleep or something random then I tuck em back in and done. With that said, I kinda suffer from "alert fatigue", meaning that I naturally assume that it's a child and would be so surprised if an intruder. That's why I feel the simplest of combo's would be hard to remember at that exact moment.

I had to "lock and load" one time 10 yrs ago while two guys tried to get into lower level door, during neighbor's build, and I remember the amount of adrenalin pumping through me as I lied prone waiting for them to come up my stairs...In a combat zone, expectations are different, but in your home, it's a very unnatural thing when it happens.

@RX-My combo is actually like a three button combo since I keep it scrambled. It has to be unscrambled by turning knob, first, in correct direction, exact button pushed, then knob turned correct direction. If those exact three things don't happen exactly in a row, it remains scrambled. So, not just like pushing one button and in but I definitely understand your concern. The Titan gun vault is a lot more intricate than the digital ones in processing sequence actions for access.

That's a tough call,my kids are all out of the house.when the grand kids spend the night all but my carry are locked up and my carry stays holstered until the kids are down.
I then slip my pistol and holster between the box spring and mattress and lock the door to the bed room.I have a keyed lock on the Bed room door.

I live with my wife, no kids, and a pair of troublesome cats.

My handguns typically stay in a bedside safe when I am not carrying them. My safe uses a fairly easy combination, and I can get into it quickly. I also keep a PCC behind the bed with a mag in it and the chamber empty.

I also work 3rd shift, so most of my sleeping time is during the day- I normally don't have to worry about not being able to see my bump in the morning...

The problem with keeping a gun in a safe is it’s not readily available. Kraigwy
I totally agree with that statement. I understand having children in the home can cause some worry but you are the one that has to protect them and how much time does it take to get it out?
Several say that they practice getting it out.
That’s well and good but your awake and you’re your brain is out of the sleep mode.
If you want to train, than have your wife wake you some night when your fast asleep knowing beforehand it will be a test with her telling you it’s a test as you wake. See how fast you can get it out.
From REM sleep it takes some time for your brain to get working to the point you can safely handle a gun.
I don’t have any children, but I would rather have a gun on the head board at night so that I can protect her if need be.

Back