Bedside safe or safeless??

Big4Freedom

I currently have Titan mechanical-lock safe on bed rail. It's great in that it will never fail, electronically. That's why I shelled out $ for it a few yrs ago over digital options. It's one button push (of five) and a 1/4 turn of knob. Easy and quick. But, is it quick enough at 0400?? My increasing fear is that it's not.

I'd love to go w/o bedside safe but have two kids, 7 and 10. I've taught them about guns since forever, taking them shooting/watching me shoot, but still uneasy about leaving one out and chambered by bed.

I do have home alarm in dark, rural community but it takes 15 seconds before alarm sirens alert, assuming I didn't hear a break in. Intruder(s) could reach my room within 15 seconds if motivated since MBR is on main level.

Thoughts on staying the course or going bedside safeless? Diff risks for each...
Thanks

Perhaps when you aren't in the room you may want to keep it in the safe, but while you are in the room, I don't really think you have anything to worry about. You also said that you've taught your kids about guns, and I'm sure your kids are asleep when you are. I just don't think I'd worry about it.

I guess I should say though, I don't have kids, so maybe my thoughts would be changed if I did.

I live alone and keep mine in a quick access safe. In addition to issues of keeping it secure from kids that many people have (issues I don't have), I want it secured in case an intruder gets in without alerting me. If the first I know there is an intruder is when I'm awakened in the middle of the night with someone standing over my bed, while I may not be able to get to my gun in time, I'd prefer having to use other options than be facing the intruder pointing my gun at me because he found it before I woke up.

Thanks for the comments, Guys. Both comments are valid. Maybe I should just get in habit of taking out of safe as I'm crawling into bed each night. Hassle but makes sense rather than leaving out 24/7. I could place where no one but me would access it (intruder wise) while kids are sleep. I would hear anyone opening my door immediately as I am a light sleeper.

Just really leaning towards keeping it out, for sure at night, so I can actually get it when needed.

Maybe I should just get in habit of taking out of safe as I'm crawling into bed each night. Hassle but makes sense rather than leaving out 24/7.
This is what I do. I have a small safe bolted underneath my bed. During the day and when I'm not home, that is where my "nightstand gun" resides. But at night it comes out of the safe and I put it in the top drawer of my nightstand. In the morning... back in the safe it goes.

Works for me. And I don't find it to be an inconvenience at all.

Anyone with children, or guests, in the house would be well advised to keep a flashlight next to the gun - It's impossible to predict if/when one of them will get up during the night & make a disturbance - it would be a very difficult situation if a loved one got shot in error.

I keep my HD gun in a quick-access electronic safe bolted to the bedrail. I practice quickly rolling over and operating the buttons in the dark at least once a week. With 3 kids under 10, I'm not going to leave anything out for them to "play" with even though they have been trained better.

I always take mine out of the safe and place it on the headboard after I put mine to bed (11 and 9)
Then next morning I put it back in it's safe.

Two dogs caged in the house assure no one will make it far (even outside) without their notifying me.

I have no kids and live alone, so, I have five firearmas loaded and hidden throughout the house not locked up. I have had two attempted break-ins while at home, so, I guess I may be a little over prepared because of that.

Maybe I should just get in habit of taking out of safe as I'm crawling into bed each night. Hassle but makes sense rather than leaving out 24/7. I could place where no one but me would access it (intruder wise) while kids are sleep. I would hear anyone opening my door immediately as I am a light sleeper.

Just really leaning towards keeping it out, for sure at night, so I can actually get it when needed.

That's probably the best idea. I'm pretty sure it is what I would do if I had kids. As it stands, I just have a wife and dog. The dog would definitely let me know if anyone was breaking in long before they get in the house.

Like you said the best thing would be to keep it out of the safe while you sleep at night at stick at back in in the morning. God forbid you need it, chances are you will need it right then and there.

I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like just taking it out at bedtime, throwing in night stand, and replacing in am is the way to roll. That really alleviates my concerns of both security and access.

I do have a tactical light mounted on the Glock 21 rail also. I agree with that post to prevent "friendly fire". Nothing would be worse.

@Danalarmguy-I have a prof alarm installed. Chime is disabled tho as it auto-arms nightly. Before I disconnected chime, it beeped several times when arming at 11PM and woke/kept us up. Unfortunate trade off but at least alarm gets used 365 nights/yr now vs 4-5 nights/yr before.

@Big4Freedom, most home alarms have an instant mode where it cuts any delay off of the siren. In a possible break in, those 15-45 seconds count, if you need any help adjusting your system, let me know
Usually its pretty simple to figure out.

I'm with you, Dan. Thinking about doing instant alert. I would just need key fob to shut off when arriving home after system is armed. I had them but were too weak of signal to use so I stopped using and no idea where they are now:). Thanks for your help.

Maybe I should just get in habit of taking out of safe as I'm crawling into bed each night.

Why not just leave it in the safe with the door open at night if the kids coming in aren't a concern for you? Then just close it in the morning.

20955_248042236874_4173770_n.jpg

The problem with keeping a gun in a safe is its not readily available.

Not worth a hoot if the safe is in the bedroom and you're in the living room watching TV during a home invasion.

No safe stashed guns leave the chance the gun is available to children or others who shouldn't have access to your gun.

Best option in my opinion is keeping the gun on your person.

As to the dark of night. Simple little night lights solves that problem. i have a black lab which i constantly trip over when i get up at night. Night lights solved that problem as well as identifying who might be wondering around the house.

I like gun safes. All my guns are locked up, EXCEPT the one in my pocket.

It's one button push (of five) and a 1/4 turn of knob.
That isn't a safe, if there is only a 1 digit "combination". A seven year old boy will eventually get that open and will pick up the gun, regardless of how much you've trained them. I suggest you put in a real combination.

The other way to look at the access issue is; if you can't operate a push button safe at 4 AM, should you be picking up a gun? Operating the lock gives you a moment to collect yourself before you pick up a weapon that goes through walls, floors and ceilings. If you are going to be awake enough, leave the safe door open.

I have three children ,one infant and two of which are old enough to roam around the house at will. Ever wake up at night with your child standing next to the bed asking for a drink or because they got frightened? I know I have. If I'm awake, my carry gun is on my belt. If I'm asleep, it is in a nightstand safe.

The likelihood of a child picking up a parent's gun is far greater then an intruder gaining access to your room without waking you up. I have outside automated lights, I lock my doors and windows and I have an alarm. Why take the risk of leaving your gun on your nightstand if you have children in the house? Instead of being paranoid about an intruder, you should be paranoid about a child's natural curiosity.

My two cents...

That isn't a safe, if there is only a 1 digit "combination". A seven year old boy will eventually get that open and will pick up the gun, regardless of how much you've trained them. I suggest you put in a real combination.

I agree and also about waking up with your kid standing at your bed. Another benefit of the mechanical lock is that you can have your combination and pre-punch all or part of it when going to sleep. This would allow you to have a very simple partial code to punch (maybe the last 1 or 2 buttons) or simply just turn the knob to access your gun. In the morning just turn the knob 1/4 turn counterclockwise to reset it.

This method works for some people.

Back