Bedroom fortification

My wife and I had a house alarm installed about 6 months ago. I love it. It's not the perfect barrier, but it is better than not having one. You can even turn on the motion detectors at night while you are at home in bed. We have a control panel at the garage door for entry and we have one in the master bedroom.

We have multiple layers of defense starting with 4 outside lights front, side and back, a street light in front of our house and security doors front and back. We have bars on three of our windows that the highest risk area on the side and back of the house and the rest of the house has ACE security glass that they claim is bomb resistant, not just bullet resistant. All windows have screw on individual locks. These defenses are for the smash and grab creeps.

We have a full alarm system with inside motion detectors that we put on every night when we do not have kids or friends over. We have a double door to our bed room with four locks on it backed up by the 2X6 plank. All of these fortifications are designed to slow the creeps down if they get through the first layer of defense to give me the time to get to my assortment of weapons and ammo readily available at all times.

When we enter our house, we always listen for the alarm to beep. If it doesn't, then I check the entire house from top to bottom before relaxing my vigilance.

Lastly, my wife and I watch ID, Dateline and other crime based TV shows of real life events just to stay paranoid enough to keep up the watchfulness and preparation. I have a new condo up north that I will have to "zombie" proof as well but won't be able to use bars on any of the windows because of CCRs. But up there, I can at least carry my weapons with my CCW permit so that puts me one step ahead of any bad guys since that goes with me everywhere.

It is more a state of mind than the actually barriers that is the most important in securing home defense options.

It aint the prettiest thing in the world, but I truly believe it would give me the time I need if ever presented with that terrible situation.

Gun by the bed and a 117 lb Ugly dog next to that.:D Can't fortifie the bedroom as i have 2 children in different rooms i need to think about too.

... a house clear every time you come home seems a little excessive.
To you maybe. But I've spent the last 55 years near Detroit.

Even if it is as when you left? Maybe an alarm?
Only if it is as when I left. As I said, if it's obvious that someone has at least been in there, the police will clear it for me. No alarm yet, but there will be when we live there if not before. As I said in another thread, I'm shopping for a monitoring system now.

I'm sure the people that were killed in the case from the following quote thought there was nothing wrong, i.e. everything appeared normal. Otherwise, why the hell would they be going to bed so nonchalantly. And no, I knew nothing about the case before I read it here, but I feel better about clearing my house all the time since I've read it.
I saw an actual case on Hard Evidence where this couple arrived home at 2:00 AM and were going to bed when someone evidently stepped out of a closet that he or she had been hiding in and shot each 5 times, then left.

I'm a full time fire fighter. There is not a door that we can't pop in some way. I get paid good money to break into homes and get people out. :D Dogs do slow us down from time to time though.:eek:

Lock's are for honest people. They only really keep the would be criminal at bay.

Alarms with a monitoring contract are best for security. Plus they also monitor the place for fire. (I like that) Big dogs are a great for scaring burglars, even a nice dog will put the fear of God in a stranger. Plus you get good company out of it.

Back