Beater p38

Hi, Doc Hoy,

Gee, I said all that? But I didn't say I owned the gun; it belongs to an acquaintance.

Every once in a while luck or whatever produces a production gun that is super accurate. When I was in the Army at Ft. Polk, I had in the arms room a half dozen M1911A1 pistols and one M1911*. The latter gun had never been rebuilt, altered, refinished, or worked over in any way that I could tell. The finish was about 90%, and except for small finish wear, it was as it left Colt sometime before WWI. That gun drove tacks. No other pistol we had could touch it, and even some match guns I tried would not shoot as well. I have since fired other M1911's and Government Models from that general period that were unquestionably better fitted than the WWII era guns but none came close to that old Colt for accuracy. Explanation? I have none.

*Contrary to common belief, the pistols were not for our officers. We were a signal company and the pistols were for our photographers who were expected also to carry a camera (and not a tiny cell-phone camera either - these were Speed Graphics). Of course, when we hit the field, the CO, XO and platoon leaders commandeered the pistols; the photogs got the carbines the officers were supposed to carry. RHIP, folks.

Jim

Jim:

My father, in the Signal corps, was on the Empire Javelin which was torpedoed on 12/28/44 in the Channel. He had enough presence of mind to go back below and get his camera, but lost everything else

After being rescued by LST 325, most of the survivors were taken to Le Havre and issued new gear, including a .45. This was promptly confiscated shortly after and he was reissued a carbine.

He did manage to take pics of the Javelin as she sank, and his are the only known photos of the event.

Back