Bearcat?

My understanding was that Ruger did at one time offer them in a convertible for a short period of time like their Single Six, then recalled them.
I believe that there was also a fella somewhere that would alter a 22lr cylinder to wmr and may still be. :eek:
So the cylinder must be long enough for wmr, but the revolver is probably not well suited to them.
What they are well suited to is introducing a kid to shooting a hand gun, and of course folks of smaller stature.
I always thought that they were pretty cool little miniature single sixes, just never thought of them as a serious target arm.
Doubt that was ever the intention.

Found one
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/bearcat.html

Last edited:
No, they were never really intended to be a "hunting" gun. They fill the same role that Smith & Wesson's "Kit" gun does. A small, light gun to stick in a pack or a tackle box, and have when you "Don't really need a gun."

For HUNTING, a Single-Six, or even better one of the semi-auto's are probably a better choice...Or a Thompson Contender with a nice optic.

turkeestalker said:
I always thought that they were pretty cool little miniature single sixes, just never thought of them as a serious target arm.
I've always considered the Bearcat to be styled after the Remington 1858 and 1875 revolvers, unlike the Single Six, which is styled like a scaled-down Colt SAA.

Bearcat:
iu

Remingtonr 1858:
iu

Remington 1875:
iu

The Bearcat in your picture (stainless??) adjustable sights is a far cry from the originals, which had "smooth top" fixed sights like the original Colt SAA's.

They look like scaled down versions of the Vaquero (which was produced much later than the original Bearcats). Today's gun, judging from the picture is a scaled down Super Single Six (adjustable sights).

My 1960 Bearcat has an aluminum frame and is very lite. It is as accurate as the small frame S&W's with a common barrel size. Although I did own 2 newer models that I gotten rid of prior to it for being unsatisfactory.

Is the cylinder even long enough to accept .22 WMR?
Conversions to .327 Federal Magnum have been done in the past, but they required work on the frame, I believe.

I don't think it's worth having done custom when stuff like the Black Widow NAA's are out there and much smaller/lighter than the Bearcat.

the bearcat is small but still useful. i’ve brought mine along on beach or forest walks in a fanny pack. the shopkeeper is smaller still and more elegant, but too small to be a decent shooter, it’s a safe queen. the bearcat is an accurate enough 30’ plinker in my hands, the shopkeeper much less so. if i want accuracy i step up in size/weight to a single six.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back