Bear Maulings; what is the real risk?

Kyote nailed it! I have friends that go to canada to hunt deer. They say when you shoot a deer thats when you need to worry about bears. You won't hear this on the news but lots of people are killed by bears every year in canada. last year where my buds go there were 13 people killed by bears! Thats something to think about!

Problem with bells/singing is, that this doesn't work well if you're hunting - scares off your game. This is why hunters get attacked at a much higher rate - they're more likely to surprise the bear then most campers/hikers, etc. I'd try pepper spray or my rifle first (if carryone one when attacked) and have a bigbore DA revolver on me for backup. But what do I know?

I read a story in the magazine that come with my rod and gun club membership that a park ranger investagating griz sightings where hunters where chased off their kill. The ranger said that one of the days he was out he saw a griz up on a ridge ubove him so to test the theory he pullled out his revolvers and fired a shot into the ground and the bear promptly turned towards him and came down the hill. Morral of the story hunt with a good reliable partner. Also you are more likely to be mauled by a black bear then a griz.

Bear Trouble

Meek,

I have hunted Alaska, but not elk in the northwest as you're considering. But, I also have read the stories over the past few years, it seems that the grizzlies in Montana, Wyoming, etc are starting to figure out that gunshots might equal a free meal during elk season.

My recommendations:

- Practice with that bolt action. I have a .30-06 Winchester Model 70, and once it's sighted in from the bench, I spend most of my time practicing offhand at 100 yards, and sitting/kneeling at 200 and 300 yards. Then since I hunt in Alaska in bear country, I practice firing three shots as fast as I can into a 9" paper plate at 25 yards - I don't always hit the plate with all three, the idea is to get fast with your bolt action and get used to pointing and shooting instinctively at close range. I've never had to employ this in the field, and hope I never do, but I've gotten alot faster with my bolt action this way. BTW, I use the cheapest .06 ammo I can buy for this type of practice, as I typically shoot 40-50 shots per range session

- Anytime you're hunting in grizzly country, it's best to hunt with at least one other hunter, and preferably one who knows the area well. If you get an elk down, one guy can dress the elk, the other can stand watch with the rifle (this is how we dress caribou when hunting in AK)

- I wouldn't rely on bear spray for protection, I've heard of too many cases where it didn't work (pressure leak, ineffective spraying into the wind, or panicking and spraying when the bear is 25 feet away and not within spray range). Your buddy with a gun is a better bet.

Good luck!

Michael

Our town had the 2004 record for the most people mauled in the state.Two people last year about two weeks apart,both lived thru it ,one bear was killed by a guys hunting partner,the other guy didn't have time to **** himself.both hunters were in the western part of the state where 90% of the elk areas are general license.I know several people that wont hunt over there because of bears.Last year some friends had a bear walk up to their meat pole about 9 am and drag half an elk off,they didn't see it but the neighbors did.They were also watching a meadow one late afternoon and had a bear come within 50 yds before they put one in the ground,he just stood up to get a better look,took 3 rnds to get him going and they sent several more his way for good measure,these were all Griz.Welcome to Wyoming where the bears have more rights and the wolves eat better than the residence.....

bears

I hunted caribou last year in ak. along the mulchatna river bear sign everywhere. Had them fishing at night just outside our tent, I crawled through the alders every day singing a prayer. I came upon huge tracks hourly yet only saw the monsters from the air. This was my first time up there and believe me I slept with my loaded 7mm every night. In the end I actually got fairly comfortable in their backyard. I guess I figured it would make a good story, better than a car accident anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. Just think about your food stuffs. I thought for sure some nights I was going to buy it; so I'm sure you'll pull through.

Alaska Bears.....

Handwerk,

Where were you on the Mulchatna, and who did you have for a guide/outfitter?

I've been on the Nushagak the past three years - two years ago, I went for late-season moose and the guide told me upon my arrival "I just want you to know, we're gonna have bears in camp. We had one come right through camp several days ago, and the hunter who was here wouldn't come out of the tent at night, and went home three days early, afraid for his life."

Sounds like a hell of a welcome to camp, doesn't it? But I'm a consultant by trade, so I started asking questions.....seems the guide and hunter had cooked bacon and eggs for breakfast, and had left camp without cleaning the pots - gotta get out after that moose! Well, bacon to a bear is like catnip to a cat, and bears can smell bacon MILES away.....so it was no surprise that the bear stopped by! They never saw the bear while they were in camp. So we didn't leave dirty dishes around, kept food out of the tent we slept in, and never had any problems.

The first night camping in bear country is always a quick transition from civilization, though - funny to realize that ANOTHER species considers themself to be the dominant predator. I usually sleep a little lighty the first night, but sleep just fine after that.

Michael

bears

mdhunter, we got picked up just above where you hunted. Three of us went unguided flown in by alaska west. Incredible country but had a bad hunt. Floated 70-80 miles of river and saw a total of two lonely cow caribou late one night. The air sevice picked us up a day and a half late cause they got the days screwed up. Those were one and a half days we could have been hunting but we had the raft and stuff packed and ready to go . It's 25 degrees sleeting and we're sitting on this exposed beach waiting for the stinkin' plane. I can't tell you how bummed I was. I save two years for this. I know there are no sure things but these guys are flying this area every day and they put us where there were no caribou for a hundred miles. We did see bear, moose and fantastic country but when you plan for years and don't see a shootable caribou it's a heart breaker. The owner was unphased, well sometimes it goes this way.he said. I was extremely disappointed in alaska west air. My advise is if you go, make the pilot show you the herd before you let him drop you off. Sorry to go on guys; I still am heartbroken about the hunt.

I have never been in bear country, but just the thought of possibly going sounds to me like a good excuse to purchase a big rifle (.375 H&H) and a 4 inch S&W 500. :) Just for the fun of it!

Back