Bear load for 45lc

The load I kinda hinted at earlier is a 255 grain flat-nosed bullet at about 1450 FPS. I only shoot about 6 at a time before I switch to something else, otherwise I start flinching. When this box is gone I won't load any more.

If that won't do it, nothing will. But in my armchair opinion (I've never shot a bear) any handgun should not be relied upon to stop a charging bear. You don't have enough time to make a perfectly placed shot unless you just get lucky. The previous advice about aiming for the nose looks right. That's a small target, and it's moving fast.
At least with the gun you have a chance at getting lucky, and these discussions are always fun.
mf_popcorn.gif

Game wardens have an uncanny knack of putting puzzles together. You bury one, it better be far from home.

Good points all made, here is my 2 cents:

1. I’ve seen many a Black Bear in my 59 years and backing slowly away, especially from cute little cubs, has served me well. If I was elk hunting, packing out hundreds of pounds of fresh meat in the mountains, I think I would pick a lever gun in something big like .45-70 because being painted in bloody bear frosting makes you natural bear food.

2. .454 Casull is a big level up from Ruger Only .45 Colt which is a big level up from .45 Colt. My experiences are with the huge 7.5 inch Freedom Arms revolver, 5.5 inch Stainless Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, Bowen custom 5.5 inch .44 magnum and a Brazilian lever action rifle in .454. Recoil is best tamed with very heavy guns!

While .454 Casull from a handy lever action rifle sounds great, the recoil jarred my teeth, made me smell a little blood in my sinuses, hurt my shoulder and knocked the lever open slightly. I simply hated shooting it until reloading down to .45 Colt levels and even then I regretted not getting a better quality rifle. Sold without regret.

The Freedom Arms Casull was beautifully made with custom shop level of craftsmanship. It was a huge heavy thing and I could control the enormous Casull blast. But once I learned I could do it, the challenge was over and all I had was an enormous wheel gun that was a bother to carry around.

To me, a 5.5 inch Blackhawk is about the right balance between being a bit heavy to carry, excellent balance in my hand, and ability to shoot great heavy bits of lead. I chose big momentum over kinetic energy.

While .45 Colt is what all the cool kids reload for, .44 magnum is the ammunition you are most likely to find at the store. And there is not one bit of practical difference for us Ruger guys.

Anything you field carry is going to be heavy and get in your way. Anything that gets you overconfident about a bear is a terrible thing. Any big bore revolver will work, but it’s a solution to a very unusual problem unless you are maybe an elk hunting guide.

Any semi-auto.. fellas recommend filing the sights off because it will hurt less when that bear shoves it up your keister.

Shoot, shovel, shutup:cool:

Game wardens have an uncanny knack of putting puzzles together. You bury one, it better be far from home.

The three S's. The Poachers motto......:cool:

No reason to do any of that, unless you know for sure you are in the wrong. Shooting a bear in Self Defense is no different than shooting a human in SD. You better have a legitimate reason. If you do, then there's no reason to keep it quiet. Iffin' you just want to kill a bear, just for the sake of killing a bear, out of season or without a permit....than you are a poacher, and braggin' about SSS, is just being a dirtball.

I suggest we drop all discussion of SSS as it is most likely illegal conduct and promotion of illegal actions are not allowed on TFL.

So, just to be clear, shut up about it, or the mods will shovel you and maybe the thread with it...

Back