Beam vs Digital

Beam scale is all I've ever used. Never really had the hots for a noisy vibrating thingy to weigh my powder charges. Started reloading back in 70 with a red Pacific beam. Wore it out 29 years later. Been pleased with a RCBS 505 since 99.

I've pretty much used the plastic Lee beam scale.
Last year i ran accross a RCBS at the flea market. Guy wanted $20. I talked him down to $15. :D

I don't have to worry about batteries, or if the power goes out.
Although measuring powder by candle light has it's own adventures.. :eek:

There are situations where new commercial 308 Win or military 7.62 NATO primed cases with IMR4895 charge weight spreads of 3/10ths grain and commercial match bullets with .003" bullet runout test half MOA at 600 yards.

Exact powder charge weights are not always paramount for best accuracy.

I have had a thing for beam scales since I started the hobby. Something intriguing about the mechanical nature of them.
I have three, but usually set up the old Lyman M5.

I've had my Hornady beam scale since early 80s. All I still use. I have check weights and I've never had to adjust the scale. Just works. I see no need for going digital. I finally changed presses recently though, but that was only because I wanted to checkout the 'quick-change' die setup with the newer Iron Press.

There are situations where new commercial 308 Win or military 7.62 NATO primed cases with IMR4895 charge weight spreads of 3/10ths grain and commercial match bullets with .003" bullet runout test half MOA at 600 yards.

Exact powder charge weights are not always paramount for best accuracy.
I agree on that, but some of us handgun reloaders looking to push a published load to max don't want to go over that max and getting an exact weight is better than hoping the powder measure got it right.

I agree on that, but some of us handgun reloaders looking to push a published load to max don't want to go over that max and getting an exact weight is better than hoping the powder measure got it right.
What maximum is it important to equal; pressure or velocity?

How much tolerance is allowed?

Remember the maximum factory loads have thrown charges.

Last edited:
Even though I use a digital scale there are time that I go back to the beam because as stated the battery can throw things off. I guess I'm just old school and it reminds me of the time when I was in the Army going through pathfinder course and the instructors had used a gps to set up a map course. When it came to me finding my final point according to my compass they were off by more than a couple of hundred yards. After arguing back and forth and them using 3 gps devices they all got 3 different coordinates and mine was the closest by using a compass and a map.

"...repeatability tends to degrade..." They will if the thing runs on a battery. The only real advantage to digital anything is the ease of reading.
"...some 40 odd years ago..." Yep. Redding single stage press and I think it's a Lyman beam scale for me. Rule Number One. It works. Don't fix it.

How do you all feel about switching back? What are some of the better options for a beam scale these days?

I will never go back. Benefits vastly out weight any down side for me.

I run two electronic dispensers and have a reference digital scale that I cross check to. All are 110 volt plug in.

I can load a heck of a lot quicker with running one and often both the dispensers. I don't get a thrill out of reloading, its an ends to the goal of shooting as much as I can.

For me, beams are soooooo slow. I have only so much time left in the world and not going to spend it on a beam.

For those who like them and don't mind, cool. They are not for me. Sometimes there are tech improvements that are just plain wonderful. To me Digital scales and dispensers are one and neck trimmers are another.

Now I have an instrument technician background so I know how to run a constant quality check, others seem to struggle with it.

Basically you watch the pan weight when you have it off the scale. If it shifts, zero.

" I just keep a check weight handy and use it periodically. "

Once you know what your pan weight you have a check weight each time.

Some new pans are pretty light but the older ones tend to twice a max 30-06 powder charge.

I started with a Ohaus 5-0-5 in the mid 60s. Around 1970 I bought an Ohaus 1010. I still use it today. Well, not today, but yesterday. Today, I had to replace the alternator on Momma's Trailblazer.

The only thing I use digital wise is the RCBS for weighting cases, loaded cartridges, and bullets. I have never used it for powder. I have gotten proficient in weighing powder over the years with the 1010.

I just got myself a little lyman digital scale. Not exactly for powder, mind you. Sometimes I'll have a pulled bullet and I don't remember if it was 115 grains or 124. Checking with the little digital makes that a lot easier than setting up my balance beam just for a little chore. Plus, I bought it from Brownells so if the zero starts drifting or the scale goes bad, forever warranty (I hope they keep honoring that).

I use an RCBS Chargemaster Lite with extruded powders and a Redding 3BR powder measure for throwing spherical powders. The Chargemaster Lite has been incredibly accurate and I seldom get over-weight throws and I've never had a light throw. I now check my throws for both on an RCBS M1000 (or RCBS 505) beam scale. After having a few problems with my digital scales for checking my throws, I finally went back to a good 'ol beam scale. Couldn't be happier with my setup at this time.

Back