Beam vs Digital

kilotanker22

Hey all. I have been using digital scales for weighing powder for over a decade now. I've never bought one of the more expensive scales. Over the years I have noticed that the repeatability tends to degrade. I am considering going back to a balance beam scale. I have always believed that a properly calibrated balance beam scale is more consistent than a comparably priced electronic scale, sans the laboratory grade equipment.

How do you all feel about switching back? What are some of the better options for a beam scale these days?

Switching "back"? I never left.

I don't trust digital scales or calipers. I use beam balance scales and dial calipers. No worries about calibration or dead batteries or inteference from fluorescent lights, or ...

Dillon, Lyman, RCBS.

Beams are not as sensitive as the digital scales are and they are more trustworthy to me. I have two digital scales, a Frankford DS-750 and a Hornady automatic powder dispenser, the Hornady is very repeatable in the charges it throws, but the scale portion seems to drift .1 grains from when I zero it.

Recently I was trying to do a charge of 3.3 grains and it would read 3.3, but on the beam is said it was 3.2 grains. It did this for several charges in a row and then I changed the setting to 3.4 and it threw 3.3 like clockwork.

Nbd, the manual says accuracy is +/- .1 grains and that's pretty universal for all scales.

Both have their pros and cons and both have their place on a bench. I would never want to run with just one scale, I always want a backup.

As for beam scales, you would be best served looking for a used one made in the 20th Century that would be half the price of new scales, but twice the quality. I have a $70 Hornady and the base is made of flimsy metal and feels cheap. For $70 I expect something that feels solid and well made.

My pacific balance is my golden reference. I check the calibration of my inexpensive little Lyman against it. I have the original weights, and I bought a set of RCBS weights and they confirmed the original cut duraluminum weights are still exact. I use the scale to weigh bullets and cases only seldom. I don't center my reloading around weighing, only mfgr case head marking.

Did I mention my Pacific beam is circa 1942?

I've used low cost digitals almost exclusively for about five years now. No interest in going back to a balance beam for most uses. Balance beam scales seem better for trickling. But I've gotten use to the neuances of the digitals and am comfortable with them. Most of my loading is for handgun, and the loads are closer to starting than max levels, so +/- 0.1 gr or so is fine for my needs.

I use both. Always check with test weights. When using the digital, a test weight is weighed about every 5 rounds for hunting loads. Balance beam is used to set the powder thrower when loading varmint rounds, but is calibrated every session. Maybe long range precision shooters demand perfection, but for my use, being off a tenth of a grain is no biggie.

Bought a Pact Precision back in 1994 when they introduced electronic powder scales. My RCBS 5-10 beam scale has been in a drawer since. It won't be needed again unless electricity becomes unavailable. I did buy a Gempro 250 just for curiosity and recently a RCBS Chargemaster Lite. Don't know why I didn't buy a scale dispenser a long time ago? As with any scale you need a scale check weight set just to get confidence in your scale.

Today I bought an Ohaus 1010 scale. I have had my eye on the A&D scale for a bit now. Just not sure if I am ready to spend that much on a scale

I "collected" 5 beam scales and purchased 3 digital scales. I can pick up the oldest beam scale, a Redding #1 I got 30 years ago, fill the reservoir with light oil, and get good, consistent, accurate weights. Two of the 3 digital scales I purchased no longer work at all, and the third I use for bullets and if I use it for powder charges, I have to "tare" it every time the pan is removed (no fluorescent lights, near by, don't use my phone when reloading, no stereo within 10', etc.).

Yes, I bought two electronic scales. Both RCBS, the first one was $100.00. It worked but drifted. Then I bought the super deluxe RCBS and it drifted. I now am back to the old 505. Have been for 5 or so years.

David

I tried a couple of digital scales and went back to my Ohaus beam scales.
My beam scales are faster, just as accurate and work much better when using a powder trickler.

I have found "pinch" or "finger" trickling much faster and more accurate after some practice than a commercial trickler. Trouble is with a beam it can be messy so digital was the best option. I still have a RCBS 505 and a 50 year old Lyman beam on the shelf

If you want a cheap digital that is accurate as heck as a backup for your beam get one of the GEM 20's Other thana 20 gram limit (with pan) so no magnum charges and a 1 min auto shutoff it is a great little scale. It weighs .02 gn lower than my A&D but does so consistently enough to where I would call it at least as precise as the A&D

Switching "back"? I never left.

I don't trust digital scales or calipers. I use beam balance scales and dial calipers. No worries about calibration or dead batteries or inteference from fluorescent lights, or ...

Not really a lot to add.

Digital scales are quicker, easier, and more convenient. And I don't trust them. I trust gravity.

Additionally, I rather like the ritual of setting up, zeroing, check weight calibrating, etc. For me, loading ammo is a hobby, craft, past-time, and form of relaxation, etc. I'm in no hurry. That's where I am. I don't expect everyone else to be in the same place.

It's the speed issue for me. Loading a small number of rounds for a match, using the beam wouldn't bother me as I seldom get to matches anymore. But collecting weight data on cases and bullets or other components in general information gathering would irritate me to have to spend that much time waiting for the balance to settle. I just keep a check weight handy and use it periodically.

I use a balance beam. I also use the same old Lee single stage press I bought some 40 odd years ago. I don't get in a hurry and I don't try to reload enough for a small army. It suits me.

I do shoot a lot, hence the reason for switching over to a digital scale years ago. Either way, now I have a 1010 and I may pick up a new digital as well. The digital I have been using for the last year or so is a $35 electronic scale that is accurate to .04 grains with a resolution of .02. Or at least is supposed to be. Over all with that scale I have turned out some very very consistent lots of ammunition. After using a scale with that resolution is when I began to consistently see single digit SD and ES numbers. Maybe it's just, because my practices have improved.

If it does drift I check it with a weight. If it is off at all I re calibrate it. However it seems to be getting to the point that I have to re calibrate every 5-10 minutes while weighing charges. Maybe it's just me, but it is annoying.

Back