Bead vs Rifle Sights vs Ghost Rings?

"Peep sights more than a couple of inches from the eye are a stone $%^&* to use quickly, Bruegger. Ask any old soldier about the ladder sight on the 03 Springfield."

Is that good or bad, Dave? I couldn't find $%^&* in my dictionary, and I don't know any soldier old enough to tell me about the 03 Springfield :).

Bad, Tyro. The 10" or so eye relief makes fast acquisition well nigh impossible.

My first "Deer" rifle was a stock Springfield 03. IIRC, I had a choice of 4 or 5 different notches and peeps I could use. Ended up using the "Battle Sight", that was when the ladder was laid down and living with the fact that it was zeroed for about 400 yards. But, I digress...

The fact that the zero goes away when the bbl's dismounted
may not be all that bad on a HD weapon for use within 25 yards.Divergence will not be that much,probably on the order of a few inches. For a dual purpose gun, with the possibility of taking longer shots for hunting, then it gets crucial.

But for once,a quick fix. The Boresnake does the cleaning w/o disassembly.Or,one can just rezero afterwards.

I've tried them all. Ghost rings most recently on my pre-ban M3S90 (I love that damn thing, BTW). I don't think I'll ever use anything else now. I've put 7 slugs in one fist sized ragged hole from 75 yards with the ghost rings. They are fast & precise.

Some may laugh, but I recently handled a Norinco made 870 copy and was hugely impressed. It had that solid "wingmaster" style feel to the action, unlike the cheaper 870 Express models. Synthetic stocks, ghost rings, and large head safety all for around $200. At that price you could have twice the new toys.

:D

I'd ask my grandfathers about the peep sights....

... but unfortunately, they're deceased.

Both were WW I veterans, and I'm pretty sure the one who was a Marine used an '03. The other was in the Army and I imagine he probably had one of the Enfields, at least until battle losses resulted in his promotion to First Sergeant.

Plain old rifle sights are fine for me for slugs with a shotgun. I got myself a nice doe :) with a rifle-sighted Win 1300 (last time I hunted in a state requiring shotguns) at a range that I would NOT have been confortable using a bead sight.

Semper fi.

Bruegger out.

Back