Be aware of pranksters

While some would consider this kind of thing the natural evolution of the Candid Camera type humor (combined with slapstick), Shows like Fear Factor, Pranked, Punked, Jackass etc. are not my idea of good fun.

The have the advantage of being "productions", using actors, and being shot on closed sets (if the director has ANY sense at all).

Such things done "on the street" in real life, with real people who aren't "in on it", could easily lead to all kinds of grief.

When I saw the title of the thread, I though it was going to be about those MORONS who give a first,time shooter (usually a pretty girl) waaay too much gun, so they can film, and laugh at the results.

These staged "pranks" are a valid concern as well. But not in the life endangering fashion of the fake monster/terrorist/psycho attacks.

Unannounced security exercises carry a significant risk as well. Even with announced exercises, there is often somebody who doesn't get the word.

For example, at a place I used to work, a secured industrial complex protected by professional paramilitary armed security (actually a govt agency), they were running an "exercise" one night. I think facility management knew it was going on, but no one bothered to inform the rest of the workers. Probably because we weren't supposed to be involved....

Graveyard shift. One of our pipefitters goes out to the lay-down yard to look for some material. Sees a guy running, coming towards him, being chased by security. As the "bad guy" got next to the pipe racks, the fitter stepped out and dropped him. Seems like a couple feet of nuclear grade schedule 40 isn't just a scrap, its a tool as well.:D

"Here you go, boys! I got him for ya!"
The responding patrolmen were suitably appreciative.

Management, on the other hand, had kittens. After that exercise, we were both always informed, and on lockdown in the building when training exercises were being conducted. We were given a written procedure for what to do if we had to open a door, or go outside. A guard would be posted on the door, before we could open it!

A couple years later, I got told a story by one of the guys who worked in the shift office. A similar situation, back shift, and patrol was running an exercise. We needed to open a bay door so a forklift could go out, pick up some materials and bring them in. Had to wait on a guard for the door.

After being stalled for close to an hour, and it becoming time critical, or part of the process would have to be shut down, the shift manager called the patrol Lt. and supposedly told them that if they didn't get him the guard right away, he would tell xxxxxxx (me, by name!:eek: I was on shift that night) that I could "play" and could keep any of the guns I could catch!

The guard arrived within 3 minutes.:D

My boss was a good guy.:D

I don't watch these shows, but I've often thought that some of them are a really quick way to get someone killed. Shows like "Fear Factor" where contestants know that they're on the show to do some stuff designed to scare them are one thing, but with things like "Punk'd" or "Scare Tactics" (I think that's the name of it) where some (ostensibly) unwitting mark gets the holy bejeebus scared out of him . . . Yeah, that could end tragically.

Had one here in North Carolina where they staged a fake child kidnapping in a public park......police were called. Lucky they were not shot.:rolleyes:

Shows like "Fear Factor" where contestants know that they're on the show to do some stuff designed to scare them are one thing, but with things like "Punk'd" or "Scare Tactics" (I think that's the name of it) where some (ostensibly) unwitting mark gets the holy bejeebus scared out of him . . . Yeah, that could end tragically.

I used to watch scare tactics, and often thought the same thing.
I assume the marks must be pretty thoroughly vetted.

Had one here in North Carolina where they staged a fake child kidnapping in a public park......police were called. Lucky they were not shot.
I'd hope most people would try yelling/grabbing/threatening to stop a kidnapping/crime before they'd start shooting - at least if they weren't the intended victim.
And, I'd hope most pranksters would give it up if someone ran at them yelling with gun drawn.

How long will it take until some real kidnappings include cameras as an 'alibi' if they are foiled?

People can be hurt or killed doing this, and 'prank' is not the word to use. Depraved indifference to human life is not a joke.

if you don't act to the "prank" and its the real thing you or somebody else could die.

prima facie reaction is normal.

dayman said:
I used to watch scare tactics, and often thought the same thing.
I assume the marks must be pretty thoroughly vetted.
I would hope so.

I don't think I've ever watched a complete episode of Scare Tactics, but I can recall seeing a couple of previews that led me to believe that if the mark had smoked one of the pranksters ... well, I honestly believe that the words "the Defendant reasonably feared death or serious bodily injury" might have provided a valid defense.

This post made me remember-
Some years ago I lived in South Florida
Well after midnight there was rustling and noises coming from out side my bedroom window.
I yelled out " get the )$&)(& away."
Then heard running.
It was drunken relatives.
They told me the next morning they ran like hell because, they knew and remembered I was armed lol

Last edited:
This immediately came to my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW7YSWGeFQg (Language)

Dude dresses up in a "Scream" Costume with a fake gun (vaguely shaped like a shotgun or rifle, couldn't see it) and walks out of dark areas pointing it at unsuspecting people. In one case, he hides in a van and jumps out as a couple walks by.

The last person in the video drops the phone he's talking on and pulls a gun back at the guy, leaving the prankster just enough time to say "it's a prank" before the victim splits and runs the other direction. Pretty good tactics, in my opinion. React and get away from the scene. Don't know if I can say I wouldn't have shot, though, considering this person is already aiming at me.

Sort of a modern version of Candid Camera. I recall watching one of the variety programs on TV in the late 50s, they had some French Apache dancers, but the host was not let in on the gag, he thought the man actually was beating up the girl.

Seems to me that pranksters are the ones who need an awareness that their "jokes" can go very wrong. For them.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

All of this. The last thing on my mind when faced with something that legitimately scares me is, "This might be a prank." I don't think that should be anywhere in my natural response logic, as when it is real, and I don't react, I don't particularly like thinking about what might happen. My response will be very real and the pranksters will have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Act like a kidnapper, robber, gunman, or assailant, get treated like one.

Venom1956 said:
There was the one that used his loud system in his suv to play gun noises for pretend drive bys. Last clip was 2 of the pedestrians running while the 3rd draws and fires as he speeds off.
And THAT (not drawing, but shooting at a "speeding off" vehicle) is, in most circumstances, not a good tactic either from a combat or a legal defense point of view.

Lost Sheep

No, pranksters beware of me.

You fake a assault or robbery with me and I won't fake my response.

Sadly we here often suffer from 'group think' as pro-gun, pro-self defense mentality types.

A solid 10-30% of the population, however, are pacifists and/or pranksters and go through life not 'getting' self defense or being armed.

Those people are often in powerful positions, or have large podiums to speak from and can ruin your life, if you happened to react to something like this in self defense. "They were just 'kids' having 'fun' blah blah blah...

Anyway, let's not forget the world doesn't see things as cut and dry as we'd all like and your actions during these pranks would almost certainly be scrutinized from the likely videos recording it... and EVERY MOMENT of your candid response played in slow motion, and arm-chair-quarterbacked...

Even if you weren't 'guilty' it could certainly ruin your life.

The point of this thread was to heighten situational awareness to these pranks, hopefully to avoid a needless shooting in 'self defense'... as a result of one of these ill-conceived pranks.

I've read most of this and been thinking on it some. I'm 64 and have never had a stranger pull a "prank" on me. If a stranger was pulling one on me I would react to the perceived and believed level of threat.

Pranksters that want to "fake" armed robbery or "fake" beating someone to a pulp simply need to confine their pranks to places like New York City where Mr. Bloomberg made it safe for things like this.

Here's a new one I saw today.

In sum, a scary clown costume donning idiot murders a fake person laying prone on the ground when unsuspecting witnesses walk past. Comes after people with a hammer. In another part he is acting like he's pouring fuel around someones parked car at the gas station (the car owner appears to reach into his car for a weapon...).

In other videos, a stunt involves a staged brutal murder in front of witnesses to get a reaction. Or a man violently assaulting and taking a woman hostage in a park.

When will these idiots learn?? It's easily foreseeable that a concealed carry individual would shoot this idiot.

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/killer-clown-prank-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=8xSNiPx791A&v=MkOGb5_ML_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=8xSNiPx791A&v=zNOTWjIJ58E

Last edited:
Back