BBC Article

If you read the below I don't consider being called a rightist\extremist and a harrassing gun nut who welcomes new shooters with open arms a confirmation that we're actually the good guys. Plus it was one person from an organization that portrays us in that fashion but are willing to accept and help?

Who portrayed gun owners in that light?! That rep' simply said that some members were worried that it might be the case, but found it wasn't...

How is it a bad thing to say "There were preconceptions and they were proven groundless to those who had held them, by their own experiences."?!

Surely, you should be rejoicing in the fact that such myth-busting statements are being publicised. Would it happen on CNN? After all, most non-gun owning public only ever see gun owners as OC activists in a Starbucks.

Sorry, I just dont consider it a flattering article.

Since when is reporting supposed to be about flattery? :confused:
If you think any article that refers to gun culture should be an ego-massage for those covered, you're missing the point of journalism.

I see an article that other "liberals" may see and realise that gun owners are not an alien species after all, that they perhaps have far more in common. That is a good thing, IMO.

My dear old Irish mother advised us kids many times: "Two things that can start a fight are discussions of religion and politics." She was right. This thread has actually been conducted in a fairly adult manner.

I can promise that I darned seldom discuss either, because things can go south fairly quickly. There have been several threads here in TFL where posts that were not lockstep with the NRA were shouted down. Doubtful that any of us change our thinking because of others piling on.

So the "rights" people have said they have lost over the last 8 years are:

1) Local (state or private business) regulations, nothing to do with Obama or the feds. If I want to buy ammunition at Big 5 Sporting Goods, I have to show an ID, but there are absolutely no laws/regulations requiring that. It's the private business requiring that.
2) The possibility of the feds listening in on their communications, something that started under a Republican administration.
3) No 22lr.

As I thought.

I was (and am) certainly upset that Oregon decided that private sales have to go through a dealer, and to add insult to injury, they discount the use of a C&R license too. Asses. But that's local, not federal.

So, the article seems to champion liberals as becoming gun enthusiasts because they think Trump will lead to an apocalypse or bigotry toward different factions of the left wing. In essence, just folks wanting to be prepared and defend themselves. Sound familiar?

I speculate the truth about liberal folks wanting to buy guns is that there are simply liberal people who LIKE guns. Perhaps they have always wanted a gun, but they fear that their friends would think of them as right-wingers. So, some of them feel they have to justify their new-found fondness of guns. Whatever the reason is, the more people supporting the 2nd Amendment the better off we all are.

My question is when will British folks realize that We Americans like guns - liberal, conservative, moderate - it doesn't matter. We like them for all sorts of individual reasons. I sense a little jealousy from Brits when they write these articles trying to explain how people more aligned to their political views really want to own a gun.

Skans

My question is when will British folks realize that We Americans like guns - liberal, conservative, moderate - it doesn't matter.

And once and for all... when will Yanks realize that so do the Brits?
I agree with other points in your reply.

And once and for all... when will Yanks realize that so do the Brits?

We (Yanks) do tend to think that most Brits hate guns - mostly based on what we read. I acknowledge this may be a faulty prejudice of mine. Apologies.

Ocelot23, we don't have to base our opinions of the current (now, very nearly former) administration's feelings about our rights by discussing the rights they have managed to curtail; the administration's STATED intent was to ban several popular types of firearms, to expand restrictions on purchases and in opposition to 'stand your ground' laws that protect those using firearms to defend themselves.

The fact that they FAILED to curtail my rights, after trying to relentlessly to do so, isn't a reflection of their lack of animosity to my freedoms, but rather an endorsement of those who resisted them.

Larry

Back