Basra

1. The Iraqi Army launches an offensive against Sadr's militia
2. The Iraqi Army almost immediately needs American support.
3. Then the Iraqi government gives Al-Sadr a deadline to surrender, which is ignored.
4. The "deadline" is extended.
5. The Iraqi government sends emissaries to Iran to negotiate a ceasefire with Al Sadr.
6. Al-Sadr attaches some demands to the negotiation, then issues orders for the militia to ceasefire.

The Iraqi Army, which fought Iran for how many years and took Kuwait, now cannot handle a militia? If that doesn't illustrate how pathetic this 5 year nation-building project has been, I don't know what does.

If that doesn't illustrate how pathetic this 5 year nation-building project has been, I don't know what does.

How pathetic or how premature it is to call it complete? Rather two different items there to consider. Enough of this BS about we should/should not have gone, we are at the point where it is obvious that the tides are starting to change in Iraq. Like Bruxley has said, no one said it was going to be overnight that 'we' would built a democracy or that 'we' would do the building for them.

Just curious WA...how do you feel about the war? I gather from your posts some things but then from others the opposite, I could be missing something or you are just really confusing :D

Back