basic boresighting laser

If you get a laser sighter and you have another rifle that is already sighted-in that has the same scope height in relation to bore, chuck it in that one to see where it points in relation to bore when that rifle is clamped in a vise. Put the in the new rifle/scope combo and adjust the scope to point to the same spot as the one that's sighted-in. That should at least get you on paper, even though barrel vibrations may cause bullet impact points to vary.

I also like to pull the bolt out of a rifle and bore-sight with the rifle clamped in a vise. It tends to be more accurate than laser bore sighters.

I also have a Sweeney Sight-Align Vise that I bring to the range when sighting-in several rifles. Just fire one or more shots on paper, clamp the rifle in the Sight-Align, adjust the vise to make the crosshairs on the center of the target, then adjust the scope to be where you want the crosshairs in relation to bullet strikes at that distance. Fire a shot or two to double-check the setting.

I used the Sight-Align vise when running my gun repair business and sometimes sighting in a half-dozen rifles in one sitting. It saved a lot of ammo...and my shoulder.

Looking down the bore will likely require a vise or some other way to keep the rifle in place while you're making the adjustments. A vice or a led sled or whatever you use will probably cost as much as a bore sight tool.

I'd rather throw a small bore sight tool in My range bag than have to lug around a vise or anything else that would require multiple trips to the car.

If you can see down the bore, you’ll do better than a laser. Some laser bore sighters aren’t even centered.
I have never found one exactly centered, rotating them to another position produces different zeros. But they all would get me on paper. 3C

If you have a good solid gun rest you don't need a laser bore sighting tool.
Here is how. Mount your gun on the rest solid, fire one round at the target about 25 yd away, without moving the gun move you scopes adjustments so the crosshairs are on the hole your last round made, load another round & fire at center of target, readjust if necessary. it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 rounds to get you dead on at that distance, then walk your way out to the range you want to shoot.

If you have a good solid gun rest you don't need a laser bore sighting tool.
Here is how. Mount your gun on the rest solid, fire one round at the target about 25 yd away, without moving the gun move you scopes adjustments so the crosshairs are on the hole your last round made, load another round & fire at center of target, readjust if necessary. it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 rounds to get you dead on at that distance, then walk your way out to the range you want to shoot.
You don't even need the rest. Firing at a near target, say 25yd. Compare center of group with POA. Calculate needed correction in moa. Dail in the correction and fire to verify. Repeat at farther target.

Along as the shots are on paper, you don't need anything. All the doohickeys just help you have the initial shots on paper. You can circumvent that with near target.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Better than nothing....

Better than nothing: My eyesight or some other problem has made looking down the bore something in the past. The old Bushnell Boresighter has the adjustable stems that go into the barrel. This instrument will get you onto the paper at fifty yards. Yesterday was saved by the thing. Scope had been on another rifle. The new rifle and new mount was the problem. Old Boresighter helped get onto the 2'x2' paper-barely. Nothing to write home about but it did get us going.

Last edited:
Back