basic boresighting laser

ks_wayward_son

Hey everybody. I don't yet have a boresighting device, thought I'd look for one.

Anyone tried one of these el-cheapo ebay ones?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Red-Dot...278491&hash=item1ca8a8c8e4:g:jdsAAOSw-YZa2Vpv

Maybe go with something a little more reputable, like a Bushnell laser boresighter?

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-740...19&sr=8-1&keywords=Bushnell+laser+boresighter

Not really looking to spend buncha dough on a caliber-specific, just something to "get me on paper"...the epitome of a boresighter right? :p

Save your money and learn how to zero a rifle. Even the best ones won't save you a single round of ammo or 1 minute of your time. I can have a rifle zeroed at 100 yards with 3 rounds in under 5 minutes.

I have owned numerous laser bore sighters of all sorts including the ones that mimic a round. They all will get you on paper, a large piece of paper that is, at 50 yards and certainly 25 and that is all I can say for them.

3C

For a more fancy one, I have a SiteLite green laser that I can see on a 100 yd target. It comes with software to print targets that you use at a predetermined distance for sighting.

To be honest, I can set my rifle in a rest and center the target while looking thru the bore and then adjust the sights without moving anything but the turrets on the scope and do a damn good job of getting the rifle sighted.

By the way, the SiteLite will work on calibers from .224 thru .458. It ain't cheap, but it is a goodun'.

I bore sighted a rifle the other night without a laser. Just rested it in my Lead Sled, removed the bolt, and looked down the bore & centered the target. Then adjusted the scope till it matched what I could see. This can usually get it within a couple inches. If you're talking about a lever action or automatic where you can't look down the barrel, perhaps a laser would be more useful.

"...learn how to zero a rifle..." Still needs bore sighting. The type of action matters though. A bolt action can easily be bore sighted using your Mk I Eyeball. Mind you, a proper bore sighter can be used to ensure the scope is mounted square. A laser bore sighter won't do that .
"...will get you on paper..." That's all any bore sighter will do.

It's a tool, just a tool. Would you buy the cheapest hammer you could find if you were a framer? I think not. If you are going to just use it once, save yourself the time and hassle by having someone else do it. If you are going to use it multiple times, spend a little more and get a better one. More specifically, one that has a brand name on it that you recognize so you can get it replaced when it doesn't work.

Mostly get you, on the paper

You can remove the bolt on a Marlin with no fuss for direct bore sighting. 3C
Yes and it's a great place to start that too many folks have forgotten. ..... :)

I own and use four bore-sighters and one of them is a lazer. I use it mainly on handguns and if you have a RedDot, you can just superimpose them. I might add that when I use the three collimators on the same firearm and process, they all differ somewhat. ...... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I've been using an economy laser bore sighter for 10-12 years. Works good and well worth the $$.
"Save your money and learn how to zero a rifle. Even the best ones won't save you a single round of ammo or 1 minute of your time."
Yupper and pigs fly .
Laser bore sighters have a place and are sometimes THE ONLY WAY.

For a bolt gun, a spotter (RSO will most always be helpful) and a clay pigeon (or anything, really) on the berm will get you on paper in two or three shots.
Where I can't simply sight down the bore, I use a Leupold Zero Point collimator (no longer sold) and lasers.
Laser for a shot or two at close range, then it's plan "A" with the spotter and something on the berm.

I have had three and . . .

I've been through three bore sights. The laser one that inserted into the barrel was a PIA to get it in there with small bores. The one one from BSA stuck into the scope and then had an optic kind of thing that stood above the bore for scope to sight on. It simply didn't work. Couldn't get the scope to line up with it no matter what. Thing was too high above the barrel. Now I have a real simple device that has a flat magnet behind a laser. Stick that sucker on the end of the barrel. Turn the laser on. Sight the scope at whatever distance you want and you are on the paper no sweat.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...D--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-=CI

Life is good.

Prof Young

Bore sighting is to put the shot on paper at short range, say 25 yards. A gadget is just make the process faster. You don't really need one.

If I really want one, I will get an old style collimator.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I used the Wheeler laser sight in tool/aid the other day. Worked good, got me within a couple inches of zero in about one minute. The green laser was visible at 50 yds on a sunny day at around 11am. I borrowed it from a range buddy, he likes gadgets and spending $$.

For my rifles that I can't look down the bore, my laser bore sighter works well. It's so old, the brand has wore off (at least 20 years old). It'll get me on paper, usually within inches at 50 yards and is multi-caliber. I've used it for .22 up to 7.62. If I ever need to get another, I would get a green one, as my old red laser is only good to about 25 yards in daylight. When I swap scopes, I'll usually laser sight them at dusk when I can see that red dot out to 100 yards. Either way, my field pod makes the job easier too, for line-of-sight or laser bore sighting, it keeps things lined up while I make adjustments.

You guys bore sight a lot of rifles do you? I've never needed one.
Used one at a store that I worked at ................didn't actually need it there except on a few semis, we couldn't shoot or wouldn't have needed them on the semis.

Back