Barrel… not lead, then what could it be?

I agree.
Fix it, don't flush it.

Why has nobody mentioned returning the gun to the OEM or distributor? Even if one isn't the original owner, a manufacturing defect such as this warrants a new barrel. What could it hurt to give em a call ?
Getting 'warranty work' done on an 1860 Wesson rifle would probably be easier than getting AMT to replace the barrel.
You'd also need a Tyme Musheen.

As others have said, even though the rifling (lands) are rough doesn't necessarily mean the pistol will be inaccurate. But those "chatter" marks will likely trap all manner of lead and copper and will be very difficult to clean thoroughly. Personally, I have better things to do than scrubbing a barrel more than I should have to.
Follow Bill DeShivs and LineStretcher's advice and replace the barrel.

The problem with replacing the barrel is that the pistol is an AMT Hardballer, and those were notoriously "iffy" in the quality control department anyway. IMHO, if it were just about any other brand I would agree that it makes sense to replace the barrel. With an AMT Hardballer, I don't think so.

Cut your losses, sell the gun, and buy a better pistol.

Gun barrels are supposed to be reamed to the proper bore diameter before the rifling is cut.

Reamers and labor cost money. AMT probably skipped that step and went straight to the rifleing broach to save money.

This is a boring (pun intended:D) topic. As others have asked, how does it shoot?

Some AMTs have long barrels that aren't easily replaced. Stainless steel was very difficult to mill in the early days. Whether it just slipped through quality control or was just how the barrels were produced I don't know. But cleaning may or may not be a chore in the future. You sound like you have all the tools for cleaning, so only you know whether it will be a chore.

So what do you think? If the gun shoots well and cleans up well, you may not have a problem.

Back