Barrel lead times

I decided to keep the original Savage Accustock that the rifle came with, because I like the stock and have been shooting it for a couple years.

For future reference, the precision ground recoil lug from Northland Shooter's Supply will not fit the Savage Accustock without some considerable modification. I had to mill a fair amount of the aluminum out of the recoil lug area. I had to mill the bottom, sides and make the recess longer.
I felt as though this may degrade the strength of the aluminum so I decided to also glass bed the recoil lug into the stock. When I did this, I also filled the first few inches in front of the lug and a little behind the lug. This was to reinforce the aluminum and make up for the metal I milled away.

The MTU profile barrel also made contact with the stock in several locations due to it being much heavier than the factory barrel. I took a 1 inch wooden dowel and wrapped sand paper around it. Then sanded the barrel channel until I could float the entire barrel.
Overall, I am very pleased with this Criterion barrel. For the cost they seem to be very good quality. I also had a great deal of fun putting this project together.

I've found that most precision lugs that are trued are generally slightly larger in dimensions than stock savage ones, so the lug inlet usually does need work--though they pop right into MTD chassis with no issues. I've also found I have to be careful with the pins on the lug that fit in the slot of the receiver in some of the lugs they are simply screwed on with small screws, I've sheared one off in a receiver vice when torquing the barrel nut.

Shaw is typically 8-12 weeks.

I'm hearing Douglas is having some fast turn around times.

I prefer people don't use the "junk Shaw barrels".
Shaws are quite good for production barrels, I've bought some through EA Brown since they seem to be a major dealer of their prefits. Not the same league as a Criterion IMO, but I've shot some bitty groups with my Shaws as well when I'm on my game (which isn't very often LOL).

As near as I can tell Criterion rates right up there with Shilen. Very good barrel at a decent price.

I was going to order one but the wait time was a lot longer than Shilen.

One I am debating is Preferr3ed Barrels, they offer a 7.5 Swiss chamber vs trying to work through Shilen that I supply the reamer.

Good smithies and their suppliers are extremely busy people. Four or 5 months for any kind of custom smithing is PDQ. Most of 'em are talking a year or more.

Back