barrel break in ?

Kreiger barrel break in, is for their barrels be same for Bartlein and others. I'm not shooting factory barrels so who's ever barrel I want gunsmith to install I'll do break in.

I do it when getting scope on paper and I also load at range so get some fire formed cases for load testing, those first loads nothing wasted. If I get 5 cases fire form that 20/25rds and that about limit for 1st day.

I know only factory rifle I have is Rem 722, 222mag and I got that new and I think may of cleaned before firing.

It's funny how terms change.
Today we call it "barrel break in".

The old timers called it "sweetening the barrel".
The only difference is they just shot the rifle until they eventually noticed the rifle was shooting better.

My best advice on barrel break in is to ask the barrel maker or gun maker and do exactly what they tell you to do.
NO ONE knows more then the people who make the rifle or barrel.

My best advice on barrel break in is to ask the barrel maker or gun maker and do exactly what they tell you to do.
NO ONE knows more then the people who make the rifle or barrel.

That is really not correct. People have worked with barrels long enough to know what works and what does not as far as making one and the rifling.

As there are only a few barrels metals and a few ways of making them (button, cut, hammer forged) then all the should be the same (or at least for the type of barrel making method)

I believe Shilen says ,
we don't think there is anything special you need to do to break in a barrel, but people keep bugging us ---- so to stop you from bugging us, this is what we recommend so you will quit annoying us to do so and go away happy you have advice that is not worth anythying.

The very last part is paraphrasing .

Last edited:
I agree RC, the barrel is going to sweeten, condition, break in on it's own over time just as it is going to wear out over time. If there's a precaution that should be taken it's to not overheat the barrel.

I can tell when a barrel gets to the sweet spot and that's when I start seriously working up loads. Before that I usually shoot up the factory ammo that I have that doesn't really shoot all that well in any of my other rifles.

Many years ago when I made my first independent sojourn out of AK (back in the day when you could not pump your own gas) the station attendees would note the AK Plate and launch into the Igloos, Winter all year long ad nausea.

After the third time I almost got into a fight telling them it was all myths and not true, I gave up and just nodded my head yes.

Once people get it into their head its one way, all the facts and data are hard put to change that.

Granted I tend to strong views, but they have been thought about for a long time and I have sought out what I feel is the best data on the subject.

Not always right but I keep as much an open mind as I can to see if there is something new to be learned. I sure don't threaten a customer who actually lives where the myths are supposed to be real.

Back