Barnes 145 grain, .264" bullet.

Ocharry, I am still fairly new to the math myself. In my neck of the woods, the hard part is finding somewhere to shoot past 300 yards.

I live 90 minutes from Williamsport, PA so I am buying a lifetime membership to the 1000 yard range there this year.

Ocharry for the wind, you are dead on when you say it is a learned thing. There is no device that I am aware of other than your own eyes that will tell you what the wind is doing between you and your target. Kestrels etc will tell you what the wind is doing where you are standing but ten yards in front of you the wind may be doing something entirely different. Make some low cost wind flags from plastic boundary tape and fiberglass driveway poles then set them out at 25, 50 ,75 and 100 yards and watch them for a half hour. You will see them blowing in 4 different directions at times

All you can do is practice, practice and practice some more.

best reading I have found on the subject

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/th...B977.prodny_store02-atgap05?ean=9781510739741

The drag functions will be the ones from the BRL for the reference projectiles, so I don't expect an error there.

I have now posted a question to Masterpiece Arms. After running the calculations in some detail, I realized that his 500-yard point of impact is a perfect match to the predicted elevation change of 2.6 NATO mils, so his sight may be calibrated in NATO mils. But the Kestral is calibrated in milliradian mils, not NATO mils. My question to him is about the weather conditions the Kestral reported because the 2.64 moa come-up for 500 yards from 100 yards is too high for a standard atmosphere (2.56 milliradians in my ballistics programs). He would need pretty dense air for that in my software (32.6 inches of Hg on the barometer at 59°F), so we will see if he can report something about those conditions. I am thinking that for some reason the Kestral is exaggerating the come-ups a little, plus it is working in milliradians and he may be working in NATO mils on his scope. Maybe. We shall see what he says.

kilo...i can do around 450yrds here at the house...i use 200 of that most of the time, hardly ever get under that...well unless my boy is shooting with me...we go down to 150...him and my grandson were out last fall and i had my grandson back at 200...he was doing really well...ahhhh, those young eyes,,lol

there are some places around here....farms...that im sure i could stretch out past 1000 but i havent asked....maybe this summer...but without a spotter it would be real hard...unless i have a really bid target so i could do my own spots or calls

dawg...i know exactly what you are saying about the flags...i have seen that exact thing you talked about-----the kestrel is like you said only good right where it is...at distance you have to make that call by what you see....wind ..mirage, in close 200 or so i dont really think about it to much unless it is really blowing...these 6.5 bullets seem pretty slippery and able to buck the wind pretty good

nick... i will be interested in what the guy has to say about your question...as for the kestrel ... i am pretty sure that it,,,if given good data will give you a relatively good elevation solution----- the wind however....even though the kestrel is giving you what it thinks or the algorithm or what ever it is doing may not be precise at distance....(it is probably pretty good where it is at) it is still a shooters call or his spotter for a wind input....and experience at making those wind calls only comes from doing it

also MY scope is a MOA scope....both turrets and reticle so i dont know if that really matters here just thought i would toss that out, but, i will say, i had NO idea there are two different mil numbers that need to be dealt with......how confusing that could be....kinda like having mil turrets and moa reticle or moa turrets and mill reticle......why in the world is that not standardized ...lol

this dang weather....jeees had another 5" of snow yesterday with a high of 12*...i am ready for spring i tell ya,,,heck 35 would be wonderful after the last 3 weeks

anyway ---- waiting to see what the response is from Masterpiece Arms

ocharry

ocharry said:
i had NO idea there are two different mil numbers that need to be dealt with...

Try FOUR different mil numbers:

Warsaw Pact mils: 0.278 mil/MOA
Milliradian mils: 0.291 mil/MOA
Swedish Strek mils: 0.292 mil/MOA
NATO mils: 0.296 mil/MOA

holy cow...so what do the scope manufactures work with that??? set them up on average at .289?? and hope for the best.......ok boys we did our best for ya------now its up to you to figure it out from here

this is crazy...4 different measurements for the same thing

see this is why it makes y head hurt....i just dont understand how you can have 4 different answers to the same question...how big is a milliradian??? door number 1- .278, or door number 2- .291, or door number 3- .292, or door number 4- .296

this is plumb crazy

ocharry

There's only one definition of a milliradian. It's the "mil" that enjoys lots of definitions ranging from a thousandth of an inch to grid lines on maps to milliliters of fluid. For sights, the other three mil definitions make the sights easier to use in one way or another, such as making it easier to perform division of the numbers or relating them to ranges in the reticule and that sort of thing.

No response so far. I put it into another question chain rather than starting one. I suspect I should have started a new one.

Back