Bare essentials for Coyote?

Armadillo tamales huh? You might want to think twice about that one, or grilled armadillo, or southern fried, etc. Guess what the only critter on earth, besides humans, is to carry AND transmit leprosy? You guessed it! The nine-banded armadillo!

Now leprosy may not be all that easy to catch, but eating 'em seems like someone's just begging for it.

For a quick, layman's perspective, go to....

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990219.html

If you like details and you're a rocket scientist, go to.....

http://svm369.vetmed.lsu.edu/truman1.htm

MeekAndMild said:
Thanks for the link lil bro.

Your welcome!

Wild Bill Bucks said:
Don't laugh about this, but people around here, have some pretty good recipes for Ardmiller

I have had armadillo before me and my bro was out at a friends house anyway all of us went hiking and we found a diller and our friend wanted to eat one so we killed it cooked it that night and it was good it tastes kinda like a pork and chicken cross.

BTW.Wild Bill do you think you could ask some of the people around there for some of their dillo recipes.

Thanks.
Michael.

HEY LIL BRO, I DOWNLOADED the coyote calls and burned a cd. I hade dogs, chickens and coyotes hollerin all over the place. My dog went and hid in the shed, my other dog was rolling over and running around barking and yelping. I heard coyote way out yonder calling back. Cool stuff, great link on the coyote hunting site.

armedtotheteeth said:
HEY LIL BRO, I DOWNLOADED the coyote calls and burned a cd. I hade dogs, chickens and coyotes hollerin all over the place.

I did the same thing and went coyote hunting one time and had one run right by me :eek: :eek: I was siting on top of my bros coyote trap he made out of pallets and I was playing a wounded rabbit call and one coyote circle around and come from downwind right behind me so as I am playing a wounded rabbit call a coyote comes runing at full speed chasing a real rabbit I guess it was coming to the call when it found a real rabbit and ran to right along side me I did not have enough time to aim so I shot from the hip and completely missed and accidentally put a load of .No4 buck through my bros coyote trap and yes he was kinda mad.

Michael.

Last edited:
Lil Bro.
Fix them anyway you can fix Pork or Chicken. Fried, Baked,BBQ.
Wash animal first, Cut around shell, Clip feet off, skin belly first and then cut around the shell until it pops out. Meat is white and will cook like pork or chicken. Young ones are good for frying and older ones are good in stir fry or bakeing.
Chance of desease is no more than eating deer or rabbitt or any other wild animal. Here in Oklahoma, they say we don't have any of the nine banded dillers that are supposed to carry leprosy.
Like any wild meat, you should wear gloves when processing just to be sure.

Thanks!

I'll have too have BBQ dillo now.

Wild Bill Bucks said:
Here in Oklahoma, they say we don't have any of the nine banded dillers that are supposed to carry leprosy.

Since I live in Okmulgee I am guessing that the same is true here so I guess they are safe to eat.

Michael.

HAHA thats funny! youd better get out the hammer and nails, or whatever you need to fix that trap. What dont you get some of those new coyote seeking bullets, they sell them at acadamy. I think they only come in 375 H&H mag though. hehhehe , A little light for our coyotes here.

My coyote gear

#1 Caller any kind will do but have a couple cuz they wont come to the same one twice if you miss the first time.
#2 Rifle pick one you like that you shoot well coyotes arent big so you dont have to worry much about power my personal fav is a .243
#3 Some form of cover of camo i use plain white coveralls in the snow and olive and brown clothing in the summer.

coyotes are tricky (well most of em) so be able to shoot fast and accurately anywhere between 20 and 200 yards. Once youve done it for a while youll know the yotes much better and youll be able to know where theyll come from where theyll run to and when to shoot.

Back