Ballistol

Thank You Driftwood and Model 12

Both your posts were excellent! It's nice to see common sense take over from time to time and clear up what could be otherwise labeled as misinformation.

Kindest regards,

Birch

Just read the labels on stuff "known to cause cancer in California". That is why I won't live there!
Now bacon is killing all of us, or is it bologna!

Thanks mehavey

for the MSDS sheet.

Others: I don't believe I said it was carcinogenic, just that I had heard ( read) that it was..... and also read that it was not. I don't remember where I read that it was. Probably one of the other forums. At the time I had not seen the MSDS sheet. I didn't think I was spreading misinformation, just asking questions. Looks like I stepped in everyone's favorite juice. :)

The stuff is rather hard to find, I saw a can at a show, but didn't read the fine print and didn't buy it, because it seems expensive at several dollars per ounce. A bargain at $80 per gallon...whew! You can get some pretty fair whiskey for that price. :)

"not so sure, as I've not had a can to read"

But when I get my can, I will be sure to read it. :D

I just thought about this back in the 1700s especially during the French and Indian Wars when functional black powder weapons meant survival both at catching food and to defend against enemies.....I read a couple books on the period and the warfare and revenge were incredibly brutal....

I was thinking there were probably a lot of fouled/rusted bores back then, then I thought probably not because your firearm was so crucial for survival you had to be real concerned about it's condition...

For sure they had to use just water for flushing and probably fat/tallow for preserving but fat can turn rancid after a period....Does anyone know how the frontiersman kept his bore from rusting? ...

I use straight Ballistol as a lube on my fiber shotgun wads. Place the dry wads in a flat pan and add sme Ballistol to cover the bottom. The wads will soak up the Ballistol overnight. I keep a supply of lubed wads in a plastic container w/ snap on lid. Keeps the powder fouling very soft when shooting a round of trap. Next time, I think I will try a water/Ballistol mix to reduce the cost. I often use 50/50 Ballistol/water for a patch lube in my 50 cal. Hawken. Works just fine. I also swab the barrels of my BP rifles and pistols with straight Ballistol right after shooting. I found it prevents rust and makes the fouling easier to remove at cleaning time. For cleaning, I use hot water and Murphy's Oil Soap followed by dry patches and a coating of Ballistol prior to storage. Never a rust problem. Really like this stuff.

I got out the Ballistol last night guys, used it to finish cleaning my brand new Pedersoli made Harpers Ferry .54 caliber percussion pistol. Smelled like memories!! Can't wait to get back on the black powder bandwagon. :)

Back