Ballistol

Ballistol is getting to be a little on the cost prohibited side these days> I think. No doubt Ballistol wins thumbs down having the stinkiest smell of all B/P cleaners I've used to date. Frankly OP: Having one head cold after another this winter. I find Mrs Murphy these days more appealing to use because of its aroma alone. Great sinus cavity opener.

What I appreciate the most about Ballistol is the dry, fingerprint free finish it leaves. I particularly like it on my S&W products that I pet frequently.

I sold more ballestol than I did any other lube product for 4 years. I am now closed down in the retail. If you are lazy (like me:) but not negligent-- you break the barrel-the cylinder w/ nipples removed and the frame and soak them for a day in a ballestol mix of 4 to 1 of distilled water and ballestol. Clean them good and finish out barrel and cylinders w/pure ballestol. This is soft metal and I don't unscrew screws until necessary due to wear on threads and screws. Unless you are an expert and very knowledgeble like some on this thread, you don't want to break everything down and remove all springs and clean w/soap and water and reassemble UNTILL you become extremely passionate about these and are willing to be patient, careful and spend the time. The biggest thing I experienced is w/ new guns are the fact the hammer slot might be rough dragging the hammer etc. Need to file certain areas or polish so all springs are not under stress. You'll feel it when it's right because it will go in all cocks smooth and loading lever will drop in at 6 oclock perfect. So--got long winded--ballestol and distilled water is great for people who want to clean up as quick as possible!

WBH

Ballistol does sort of smell bad.

Quite a bit like licorice mixed with... baby s%^t? Yeah I could do without the smell, but I love the fact that is works so well with black powder and it's very non-toxic.

Jeez-- umm - thank you birch. I thought I would get butally shot by some-- :rolleyes: but it worked for me. Maybe 6 to 1 would be ok :)

ballistol smells like my dog after I give him a shower and hes been washed with Mane & tail shampoo. Not to strong of a smell ( I use the aerosol kind) but not as nice as a warm bucket of soapy water LOL.

Back