Ballester Molina

:confused: What do you see as John Browning's relationship to the Ballester-Molina?
John Browning designed the 1911...the Ballester Molina may be a licensed copy of a 1911A1 or I could be wrong. Maybe the Argentine Sistema 1911 is the copy I'm thinking of.

These, as well as Norinco's, seem to be highly regarded by 1911 purists.

JJ45 said:
John Browning designed the 1911...the Ballester Molina may be a licensed copy of a 1911A1 or I could be wrong. Maybe the Argentine Sistema 1911 is the copy I'm thinking of.
The Sistema is the M1911A1 clone. The Ballester-Molina is a completely different mechanism.

I find it interesting that the Ballester-Molina pictured above has assembly numbers that are different than the serial number, something I didn't know until now. And by the way, that is a truly gorgeous example (two matching number magazines!).

I have a very nice original matching number 1927 Sistema and have been looking for a decent B-M at a reasonable price but so far haven't turned up "the one".

In general, I have found that Argentine manufactured firearms to be well made and very good quality. While all my experience with them has been with their copies of Browning designs (Hipower, 1911), I find the indigenously designed Ballester-Molina to be an interesting firearm and I hope that someday I can find one as nice as CWO4USCGRET has.

B-M is like the Star Series, but is closest the Star Model P [ibMikey- I know you knew that. ;) ] Common design differences compared to 1911: No detachable MSH, No grip safety, no grip screw bushings, has pivoting trigger, thumb safety blocks hammer from pivoting [not sear], different sear/sear spring/disconnector design.

Similarities: uses 1911 barrel/bushing and magazine, and similar 'look'.

Did you know that up until recently, many prop houses used Star Model B handguns in movies/TV shows INSTEAD of 1911s, as the .45acp blank didn't cycle the gun reliably, while the 9mm ones did in the Star pistols?

The B-M is based on the Star design, while the D.G.F.M. Systema Modelo 1927 is a licensed copy of the Colt 1911, made on Colt machinery in Argentina [and 100% interchangeable.

And yes, B-M made a batch for the UK during WWII. I have one. I also have a Sistema that was heavily modernized- losing its' C&R value. Oh, and I have a Star Model B for comparison.
They are all pretty cool!

BTW- the Ballester-Molina Extractor is NOT interchangeable with the 1911 Extractor design.

However, EGW used my extractor to take dimensions and should be able to make replacement extractors. They may not have them on their website, but it is worth contacting Geo there to ask- if you need one.

That part is one of the hardest to find a workable solution to if yours is damaged.

Fun firearm! [aren't they all? ]

B-M is

I've had mine for a bit now, it's a great little .45acp eater!

Best part is being able to use 1911 Wilson Combat parts to easily upgrade!
I put in a WC Bushing & Recoil Spring, it Definitely tightened up the groups!

Sometimes a small change is all that's needed...I'd bet a better barrel would give
even more accuracy, but I'm in no rush as long as this one is still shooting reasonably.

And Yep...anyone who's ever owned a letter-model Star will recognize that lower.
Especially the style of trigger. Long story short, polish the trigger itself...it'll work better.
All the scraped finish does is gunk it up anyway.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 77bf9423988de22067fe433e2ec2056b.jpg
    77bf9423988de22067fe433e2ec2056b.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 109
Back