ballester molina m1938

The grip screw holes in the frame can strip also, which is why the Army insisted that Browning put grip screw bushings in the 1911. The thread strain is shifted to the replaceable bushing so the frame is not ruined by messing up one grip screw.

Jim

The grip screw holes in the frame can strip also, which is why the Army insisted that Browning put grip screw bushings in the 1911. The thread strain is shifted to the replaceable bushing so the frame is not ruined by messing up one grip screw.

And generally that works pretty well. Does not stop idiots from stripping out the bushings from the frame (that's a real pain to fix), but it does make it a lot less likely.

Yeah, one is slightly stripped in my ex-mil frame. What is the usual method to fix them?

(I assume you are talking about a 1911 frame.)

The best way is to use a low-temp solder and solder it in place.

While the Star type safety used on the Ballester Molina and Ballester Rigaud pistols does block the hammer, it does not block the sear and, consequently, it is possbile for a lackadaisical person (they do exist) to pull the trigger when disengaging the safety, resulting in an AD as the hammer will fall and strike the firing pin.

My much more modern Star M-43 also does this. A Star peculiarity?

Back