Bad neighbor

The best way to get out of a situation...

is not to get in one. Sounds like you did the right thing during the original confrontation. Hard to do (de-escalate, call the cops), easy to live with.

Stay in condition yellow! The ticking sound you hear is this guy getting ready to go off. Doesn't have to be you that pulls the pin, either. Good luck.

In 110% agreement withwhat Blunder said. Suggest re-read and heed.

Aftermath of an incident with even involvement of a firearm over such can get very ugly and very expensive very quickly. Think about products from people such as www.foxlabs.com and view the pistola as an absolute last resort.

I suggest you make every effort to promote the peace, and by that I mean you should find in yourself the means, the courage and the decisiveness to completely defuse the situation before it gets out of hand. The burden is on you.

I am not saying that I agree with your neighbor's attitude. I find it very disturbing for what it can potentially develop into. But this is one of those things that you have the power to control---at least from what I gather---and for that reason it is all the more imperative that you do whatever it takes to keep the war from escalating.

Ah, but he bad-mouthed you and your squeeze.

So what.

Sure, it takes a lot of inner strength to swallow the offense. Not everyone is born with that kind of moral fiber. But then, you're supposed to be the better man---am I correct? Maybe the dope had a rough day at work and needed some R&R to keep his nerves from cooking off. When your volume exceeded the reasonable limit, he naturally got pissed. Who wouldn't, for cryin' out loud.

Give him a break. He's entitled to as much peace and quiet as you are. You never mentioned him being anything more than a 220 lb sourpuss, so I won't assume he's a stewed-up, criminally insane lunatic whose only drive in life is to take yours. If he threatens to get physical, do what you did and call the cops. If not, ...well...at least you know what bugs him. You can't say later that you had no clue.

Curiously, I find myself more often in the opposite situation. To wit, my neighbors are a bunch of rowdy, no-good, hyper-emotional meat-heads who lack even the rudiments of polite society. Every month or so they'll throw an excrutiatingly loud party in their backyard, with all the trappings of a wild bacchanalia and nothing you'd remotely associate with a civilized group of immigrants. This usually happens at some ungodly hour of the night, when all of their job-holding, self-supporting neighbors are trying to catch their zees.

On more than one occasion, I have had to go out there and politely request that they tone it down a bit. On others, I have had no other choice but to report them to the police. Either way, it is usually without result. But at no point have I ever threatened them with violence, in spite of their lack of consideration for me, my family, and the other neighbors. It really and truly burns me up when they do this, but it's something I always find myself having to relent to in the interest of all parties.

As a CCW licensee, my level of patience MUST be at all times above that of the average citizen due to the extraordinary confidence my state has vested upon me. I am EXPECTED to excercise more restraint than most. There is no such thing as "fighting words" in my book; no such thing as "the right to preserve my honor". If the imps jump over the fence and attack me without provocation, they'll be pushing up daisies before they've had a chance to soil their pants. At the very least, it'll be weeks before they can walk again and take solid foods. But until that happens, I must have done everything to prevent it.

I don't know if you're a permit holder, but I would expect no less of you if you were not. All I can say, in your case, is that giving the stooge his due---which is really not all that much if you think about it---would be the best course of action. That is, be of good cheer and give in to his relatively mild request (for low volume). You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

In the end, it'll prove far less expensive than going to court and a hell of a lot easier than you or him sorting out your teeth.

That said, I wish you the best.

- Rick

Last edited:
Rickmeister
Very well PUT about the CCW..It is a big responsibility to Have a CCW or CWL. You really have to look at each situations. Hope you Guys have a great weekend.

He-he, just kidding...again (what a sense of humor :rolleyes: ).

Rick, what you described sounds intolerable. It's always good to promote the peace, but nobody should have to put up with that. Your situation would be better suited for "la migra" than the police.

Tainted,

From what you have said, it would seem that this guy was way out of line. However, since this person litterally lives right beside you, it would be in your best interest to try and make some sort of amends. I know, it sticks in your craw, as would mine. Yet, the fact remains that for the forseeable future, you will be living in "condition yellow", if the situation doesn't change for the better. That's no way for a man to live. Your home is sopposed to be your castle, a place of refuge from the pressures of work, ect.. . If you find yourself jumping at unexpected sounds, and loud noises, you don't need me to tell ya that something will probably give, and outcome may not be pretty.

My suggestion would be to wonder over to his pad, and let him know that you were "sorry" for gettting a little out of line. Maybe offer him an extra ball game ticket, or whatever your imagination can come up with that would seem appropriate. Make a point of waving, and saying hello when you see him. He MAY even be an ok guy, albeit, one with a very short fuse.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear. It's not as sexy as luring him into your home, and forcing him to kneel before you with an autoloader stuck in his mouth, wetting the carpet, while you introduce him to the rules of edicate. However, if you can nutralize the threat with a minimal loss of face, I say give it a shot.

Stay cool,

Jhon

Your situation would be better suited for "la migra" than the police.
My feelings exactly, AteaM.

Unfortunately, they are LEGAL aliens. So they have the inalienable right to trash my rights.

:mad: :(

Go figure.

Wow you all have givin some excelent advice!:eek:
Well I decided that I did not want to have to deal with always worrying about getting hit in the head with a brick while on my patio. So I loaded up the .50 cal and unloaded a box into his bedroom last night:D
Now you may think I over reacted:o

Just kidding, Man me and A-Team would get along great!:)

But I was able to handle the situation. First step before attemting to talk to the guy was to insure my safety. As I did not want to walk over there with a .45 on my hip. I did put my colapsable batton in my waistband concealed. Then I when over to my friend who lives behind me. He is a VERY large and scary looking dude. But really hes a big nice guy. So I just asked if he would mind hanging out by his car incase things get nasty then maybe come to my aid. Or even just call the cops saying he saw it. I wanted a witness if he tried anything.

I walked over about 6:00pm with 2 beers. Knocked on the door and he answered. I started with "Hey I think we have gotten off to a bad start as neighbors. My name is Mike" *shakes hand and he introduces himself also. I offer a beer to him and we stroll out in between the buildings and get this. HE starts to appologise. Saying that he is under a lot of presure at work and things didnt work out with the house he was trying to buy, and he is terribly sorry he took it out on me and my girlfriend. I appologised to him also because I never intended to wake him up. We exchanged phone numbers and he promised to be much mor tollerant. He even said that he knew we were not being loud but he could hear our voices and he over reacted. All in all he seems like a rather nice guy. Sort of.

So it has been resolved with no harm or foul on either side of the fence.:)

Thanks for everyones responce!
theres a lot of love on this board.
Comon people feel the LOVE:D
I need a hug now.:p

Beer Justice

Heh, I think will swap out my concealed pistol for a concealed 8 ounce compact beer. Now how to keep it cold?

lol,

good job,

you didn't press charges?you would had your CCW, I thought if your threatened with harm, even a felon can get a gun?

Zot I really cannot figure out what you said
please refrase so I can answer your questions.:confused:

In regards to charges I really had nothing to press charges for. Just me saying that he said he was gonna hit me does not fly with the police. I filed a police report so if it became repitious I would have documentation. Now if I had witnesses out side of the situation then I have more ground to stand on.

I do not have a CCW so I left the gun at home. Walking up to defuse a already tense situation with a loaded gun on my hip did not sound like a good idea. Also think of the legal stand point.

Prosecutor would eat me for lunch for shooting a guy in his own door way. I walk over there with a loaded gun then shot him in self defense. Even sounds like premeditated murder to me.

Plus it would worry my neighbors to see a armed person walking around drinking beer.:D

Last edited:
Getting a tape recorder or one of those little x10 web cams would be a good idea, if you want to be able to demonstrate his aggression to police or a judge. Document everything. You might want to keep pepper spray (better yet, bear repellant) by the front door or on your person.

Open carry is legal here in AZ, but I don't think it is a good idea in most situations. I only open carry on the way to and from the range, or doing yard work in the middle of the night.

Son be careful in this situation. I would advise against carrying a pistol in view, unless that's the only legal way it can be carried. My reason being, I'm 220lbs and bodybuild avidly. I know, even with my dual retention holster it's possible for an attacker to grab my pistol and kill me.
I would recomend you study your state and local laws and conform to them 100% in this situation. In our era of Liberal views, I have seen many self defense cases turn into prison time for the man trying to defend himself. I would recomend less than lethal forms of protection if local laws allow. If permitted to carry pepper spray my first choice would be Freeze +P, as of a year or two back it was the most powerful legal spray for a citizen to carry. In my dept. each officer must be certified with this. It burns like hell fire for about 30 minutes. 95% of assailants sprayed flop like a fish and squeal like a school girl. However in my experience some people have no symptoms from it. If your last recourse of action is to use lethal force be sure you are within the law.
I know a fellow that went to prison 2 or 3 months ago for murder. He was always in trouble, just piddly stuff all his life. A very likeable guy that never was a real problem. He's in his forties ate up with cancer and about 6 foot 130lbs. He was drunk a big fellow started whooping up on him in his own yard. He hit the man in the head with a 2 X 4 one time. The other guy died, he spent 3 months in the hospital. He was found guilty of first degree murder, doing 15 years. More than likely he will die in prison, with his health problems. This was a good humble fellow that in my oppinion was just trying to get the guy off of him, but the jury didn't see it that way. I encourage any law abiding citizen to carry a concealed firearm where legal, however pulling it out or using it is sometimes not the best answer.

Back