Backup revolver

Now that there is just a cool thing to hear a teacher say!

I wish I lived in a state that allowed us to carry at work to protect our classes and ourselves. I know plenty of teachers on the other side of course, but several of my co-workers are on our side on guns, CCW, and allowing teachers to carry at work. So, of course, that occasional deep concealment I'm talking about is just when off work and in another state (since I can't even get a CCW permit in MD since I don't have the right kind of job).

I made my decision

OK, I made my decision. I'm a little surprised by it, and I hope I'm not disappointed...

I got the Taurus. I just ordered the azure blue and black Taurus 856UL through The Shooting Store online and paid my deposit (the way they work, I'll pay the rest when it gets to my FFL). Even though it is a defensive gun and I'll rarely use it in SA, I did not get the CH (bobbed hammer, or concealed hammer in Taurus nomenclature), I figured the occasional option would be nice. I almost went with the black instead of the azure as a more traditional option (my 442 is also a matte black), but decided I'd go with something a little different.

It is only 15.7oz so it doesn't fix one of the things I HATE about my 442 (it is not a fun gun to shoot), but it will be great when carried in my pocket or on my ankle. I am interested to see how the new Taurus grips will help with recoil (it looks like it will be much more comfortable than the thin Secret Service style wood grips that came with my 442). So, I may have to keep my 85CH as a trainer (with how nice the trigger is, I probably wasn't going to ever sell it anyway). I will probably also use that as an excuse to get the .22lr S&W 43C or possibly 351PD down the line (I'll need a light recoiling .22lr or .22mag training gun for this stout recoiling gun of course).

Here's a link: https://www.theshootingstore.com/single-product?product_id=224766&ref=shop
(From photos I've seen online taken by retailers or owners instead of the Taurus promo picture, the blue looks like it isn't quite as bright)

I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
Good luck.

Yeah, I will need a little. I'm not 100% confident since it is a Taurus (I have not historically been a Taurus basher, quite the opposite, but I just don't trust them anymore). However, it isn't a gun I need everyday, it is a niche gun for me (and I do still have my 442 for now when I need something in this role), so I can wait until I have enough rounds through it to feel good about it. In the meantime, I would have paid around $700 for the 361PD (after FFL fees), around $550-650 for a used Cobra or Agent (after fees), over $600 (after fees) for the LCR or S&W 43C, etc, but I paid only $302 plus tax for the version of the 856 I bought (I could have bought the "stainless" 856ULCH - "concealed hammer"/bobbed hammer and aluminum version - for $265 plus tax). Most likely I'll be fine. If I'm not, most likely Taurus will eventually make it right. At less than half the price of the other options, if I get a bad one I could buy a second one for less money than one of the other guns would have cost, and at least one of them should work right. I should be OK, but honestly, I am going to be a little nervous about it until I have 500-1000 rounds through it.

OK, I made my decision. I'm a little surprised by it, and I hope I'm not disappointed...
I got the Taurus.
..I'll let you know how it works out.

I will be interested to hear. So far I haven't seen anything bad about these, other than the usual reflexive "Euuu, Taurus!".

I've owned two Taurus stainless .22 magnum revolvers (one was a 2" the other 4"), two model 85s (blued standard and the other was stainless DAO concealed hammer), and a model 850 cia Ti. all of them were older guns and all were top quality. my only gripe with Taurus of today is if you have a lemon, they will charge you shipping and take a few calendar pages to fix it if they do fix it.

Last edited:
I will be interested to hear. So far I haven't seen anything bad about these, other than the usual reflexive "Euuu, Taurus!".

Taurus... I’ve heard people give them praise. My father bought a Judge, against my recommendation, and it was working itself out of timing. Sold it to a range, and put they money towards a USP40 Compact... which I put an LEM trigger in for him.

That limited experience with them, I’ll go S&W or Ruger. Nobody should follow my opinion on them, but that’s where I stand on it.

Best of luck, though.

Taurus... I’ve heard people give them praise. My father bought a Judge, against my recommendation, and it was working itself out of timing. Sold it to a range, and put they money towards a USP40 Compact... which I put an LEM trigger in for him.

That limited experience with them, I’ll go S&W or Ruger. Nobody should follow my opinion on them, but that’s where I stand on it.

Best of luck, though.

I would too, but I've been seeing stories lately of iffy quality control from both. And I'm at about week 7 of waiting on a repair from S&W, with really minimal communication from them.

I would too, but I've been seeing stories lately of iffy quality control from both. And I'm at about week 7 of waiting on a repair from S&W, with really minimal communication from them.

Have you tried factory repair from Taurus? Months.......... S&W is also American made/owned.

As for the recent Taurus posts, I am a bit guarded and I'm not getting my hopes too high yet. I know their customer service sucks, and if it wasn't such a niche gun for me I probably wouldn't chance it. Still, I figure my chances are pretty decent I'll get a good one, and eventually they'll get it right if I don't. I'm actually pretty glad I went Taurus. Since my last post, two of my tires needed replaced (and tires for my car are NOT cheap). I seem to be bleeding money lately (if the tires went before I bought the gun, I would have waited).

That said, I got a call late last week that the gun was in. With all the stuff with the move, I wasn't able to get to the store Thurs or Fri, and they are closed on the weekend. I'll have to get there tomorrow to pay the balance, take a look over the gun, and start the paperwork to start the MD waiting period (I've been waiting a week for the gun already, but the "cooling off period" doesn't start until I do the paperwork, which I can't do until the gun is in the dealer's hands- ugh).

I have several Taurus revolvers, most of them bought in the early and mid-2000's, and all of them have been flawless for me. I wish they would bring back the Total Titanium revolvers, since I would like to get a couple more. I recently bought a couple of .357 Protector Poly that I am using for my outdoor recreation; they are lighter than the Ruger SP-101 they replaced.

I vote the Taurus 851, cause I personally think Taurus revolvers are the best value and just as reliable as the next. Especially as a back up.

I vote the Taurus 851, cause I personally think Taurus revolvers are the best value and just as reliable as the next. Especially as a back up.

I went with the Taurus 856. I disagree that they are just as reliable as the next, but from what I see, most of the time if you get a good one it will stay that way (it is mainly a QC issue, letting things out that should not have been allowed out of the factory). So, I should know within the first couple hundred rounds.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my 856 yet (or my Colt King Cobra), with the move and the end of the school year (I'm a teacher) I haven't had time to do anything for fun lately. I did pick up my 856 from the dealer last week.

Fit and finish isn't as good as my new King Cobra or the S&Ws I've had for a while, but it isn't bad. The trigger is quite good for a small frame snub (Taurus somehow always seems to do small frame triggers better than S&W J-frames). I've been dry firing the heck out of it and I'm already seeing the trigger smooth out a bit more. I thought I'd probably want to swap out the grips right away, but dry firing it, I'm finding they fit my hands about perfectly. They fill my hand well, the little extra piece under the frame gives me a spot for my pinky, yet they don't interfere with concealment when in my pocket. I'm hoping it will make the gun relatively comfortable for a 15oz small frame revolver. I wasn't sure about the color combo I went with, but I'm very happy I went with it (two-tone blue and black). The black barrel and front sight against the blue frame and sight channel contrast quite nicely. With the price, I definitely can see myself also picking up the CH version in burnt orange if it turns out to be reliable. The only negative so far is that the black finish doesn't seem to be very durable: I already have a pronounced cylinder drag line after just a few hours of dry firing

Last edited:
I went with the Taurus 856. I disagree that they are just as reliable as the next, but from what I see, most of the time if you get a good one it will stay that way (it is mainly a QC issue, letting things out that should not have been allowed out of the factory). So, I should know within the first couple hundred rounds.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my 856 yet (or my Colt King Cobra), with the move and the end of the school year (I'm a teacher) I haven't had time to do anything for fun lately. I did pick up my 856 from the dealer last week.

Fit and finish isn't as good as my new King Cobra or the S&Ws I've had for a while, but it isn't bad. The trigger is quite good for a small frame snub (Taurus somehow always seems to do small frame triggers better than S&W J-frames). I've been dry firing the heck out of it and I'm already seeing the trigger smooth out a bit more. I thought I'd probably want to swap out the grips right away, but dry firing it, I'm finding they fit my hands about perfectly. They fill my hand well, the little extra piece under the frame gives me a spot for my pinky, yet they don't interfere with concealment when in my pocket. I'm hoping it will make the gun relatively comfortable for a 15oz small frame revolver. I wasn't sure about the color combo I went with, but I'm very happy I went with it (two-tone blue and black). The black barrel and front sight against the blue frame and sight channel contrast quite nicely. With the price, I definitely can see myself also picking up the CH version in burnt orange if it turns out to be reliable. The only negative so far is that the black finish doesn't seem to be very durable: I already have a pronounced cylinder drag line after just a few hours of dry firing
I have a 856. It shoots great and mine is finished as well as any other gun I have ever had. It is accurate and feels really good in my hand. Mine is the 22 ounce steel one and I am very happy with it.

20b0qxg.jpg

Charter Police Bulldog 6 Shot 38spl .. 20 OZ basically Colt D size , but lighter.

Charter is offering a $25.00 rebate and your choice of a T-Shirt or hat ... Great customer service!!!!

Last edited:
Back