Backup revolver

chaim

I am looking for a backup revolver. It will be for occasional deep concealment duties. It will (as the title states) be primarily used when I carry a backup (and the backup isn't my LCP), mainly when carrying another revolver to somewhat alleviate the low capacity of a revolver. It will be pocket and sometimes ankle carried.

Criteria...

Capacity must be 6 or more. Six is simply the minimum I feel comfortable with (especially should I eventually move to a carry state where this gun may occasionally see lone use when dropped in a pocket when I go out to run some errands).

Relatively lightweight since it will often be a pocket gun. I can pocket my over 20oz SIG P290RS and Taurus 85CH, so something over 20oz can be doable (heck, I sometimes pocket carry my S&W M&P40c in jeans, though it definitely overfills my pockets). Lighter is better, but isn't everything (this gun isn't really going to be pocket carried in dress slacks often, see individual considerations, but in more heavy duty pants like jeans and some khakis). Size is more important though.

Caliber is pretty open. In these small revolvers, especially if I go with a lightweight one like the LCP or an alloy revolver, recoil and quick follow up shots can be a problem but in a small caliber they are OK and some can even be pleasant to shoot. Also, a smaller caliber equals greater capacity, and 99.9% of the time this will be paired with another gun and won't be the primary, so while I'd rather have more power than .22lr, there is a .22lr on my list.

Individual considerations... Please don't advocate for an auto, or different role, or larger caliber snub. I am very much a part-time CCWer. In MD it is tough to get a permit, so I can only carry when out of state on my UT permit (so, 2-4 times a month on average, and at least 1-2 times most months). I'm not going to drop my .38 snub in my pocket to run errands since I can't carry everyday. I don't need a small everyday carry, I can't carry to work (even if I lived in a shall issue state, I'm a teacher and most states don't allow that), I rarely go to formal or business formal events (and a suit coat or blazer/sport coat is a concealment garment), and when I do carry, I'm shopping or sightseeing and dressed casually (i.e. it is easy to conceal a larger gun). When I do carry out of state, I usually go with a larger auto (CZ PCR/P01/75 Compact or similar size) and I recently bought a 6 round 3" Colt King Cobra for when I want a revolver. Heck, if I ever do change my mind about 5 rounds, I have a S&W 442, so I don't need to buy something in that class anyway. Even if the courts eventually require MD to go shall issue (I'm somewhat hopeful, but I've been hopeful for well over a decade) and I decide I want something smaller for daily carry, I will soon have in my possession my previously mentioned Colt, and I also have a S&W M&P40c and a RIA Officer sized 1911. So, my needs are pretty well covered, I'm looking for a fun and useful niche gun.

So, the guns...

Colt Cobra. Pros: a decent size and weight for range practice and quick follow up shots, 6 rounds of .38+P, same speed loaders (and holsters if I want) as my King Cobra, currently available in the $600-650 range (including fees if bought online). Cons: a bit big and heavy for the intended role (maybe too much most of the time).

Kimber K6s. Pros: 6 rounds of .357mag in a small pocketable package, though I'd usually load it with .38+P. Cons: quite a bit of recoil and slower follow up shots when shooting magnums, very loud when shooting magnums, it can be a little heavy for a pocket, expensive.

Ruger LCR in .327mag. Pros: 6 rounds of .327mag which can approach weaker .357 loadings and definitely matches or beats .38+P, can be downloaded to .32H&R Mag for less recoil and noise, reasonable price, very light. Cons: I don't really like the looks of the polymer revolvers, loud and heavy recoil in .327mag.

S&W 351PD. Pros: the more I research the more I'm interested in .22mag as a backup defensive cartridge (especially with the short barrel loads like the Speer Gold Dot and I think Hornady makes one), 7 rounds in a J-frame would be terrific, it would fit my holsters for my 442 and Taurus 85, I could use any of the grips I have for my 442. Cons: it is getting expensive, rimfire reliability (though in a quality defensive round like the Speer it should be less of an issue), it is very loud if shot indoors, heavy trigger pull (especially DA), for a pocket gun I think I'd rather have the 351C but it isn't approved for sale in MD so I'd have to live with or do something with the exposed hammer on the 351PD (which isn't ideal).

S&W 43C. Pros: no exposed hammer is a plus on a pocket gun, 8 rounds, cheap practice ammo (and with that it would likely get the most use of all these options), fits my J-frame holsters, can use my J-frame grips, price isn't bad. Cons: it is only a .22lr, rimfire reliability, heavy rimfire and J-frame trigger pull (made worse by being DAO).

Wild Cards:
Forget the deep carry niche and get a S&W 627PC (the 2.6" version so it would still be a carry gun). I want one, they are beautiful, and 8 rounds of .357mag would be nice in an occasional carry gun (and it would probably become my primary home defense gun).

Taurus 851. I used to be a big Taurus fan, but over the past few years they have lost me (I had a gun in the polymer gun recall, I have an issue with cylinder binding on my Taurus made 2" Rossi 461, I've read a lot online of people with newer production Taurus revolvers with the same issue, and both of my Rossi 461 revolvers were in the current safety recall, apparently they can fire if dropped or jarred). Still, a 6 shot revolver that is a hair smaller than the Colt Cobra, the steel version is lighter, and it is also available in a lightweight aluminum, and I can get the lightweight version with the bobbed hammer (851CH) for as little as $250 plus FFL transfer fee, I may have to consider it (though if I get it, I'll always have a little worry about it in the back of my mind). The negatives said, my Taurus 85CH has come to have one heck of a good trigger after a lot of use, it seems they use better spring design than the S&W J-frames on their small frame revolvers.

So, what do you think of my options (when considering my individual needs)? You guys helped me out quite a bit with the Cobra vs. King Cobra recently, so I'd like to hear what you say.

Edit at 10:20am: Several edits to clean things up... Never forget to proofread :o
Edit 2 (see edit 1): The Taurus is the 856

Last edited:
My BUG before retiring from LE was a custom 9mm S&W 360J, I still carry it on a regular basis. I think you're really limiting yourself with the 6rd requirement, their just aren't that many small frame 6 shot revolvers in substantial calibers. About the best BUG type revolvers out there are the S&W 642 and 442, 5 shot .38spl, aluminum frame, internal hammer. Thousands upon thousands of them are carried as BUGS by LEOs every day.

If your willing to go with a .22mag the 351C is built on the same concealed hammer Centennial frame as your 442 and holds 7rds like the 351PD. Pus it only weighs 11.5oz.

That said, just yesterday I took possession of a new Colt Night Cobra and it is a beautiful gun. However, it's a bit large and heavy for BUG duty.

Also, Charter Arms is coming out with a new model called the Professional, a 3", 7 shot .32 H&R mag revolver. That might be worth looking at. https://gundigest.com/handguns/concealed-carry/charter-arms-professional-to-debut-soon

Chaim,
My wife & I both carry the LCR 327 in magnum 6 shot revolver 1.87 snub. It's part Poly attached to a steel frame. I found the the Hornady 80 grain H&R 32
is perfect. It definitely is one of the best SD snubs out there. The recoil is so light that your follow ups are not a problem. Forgot, it weighs 17.7 ozs. also comes shrouded or with hammer(?) not sure if I said/spelled that right. I saw the U-Tube on it with Chuck Hawes & he thought it was one of the best snubs Ruger has made. The Cobra in a 38 special fits your bill but I prefer a 357 in magnum over a 38 especially with the 357 in mag 3" King Cobra as you will see after your waiting time is done.

I carry a 357 mag J frame for those duties.
I think you're really limiting yourself with the 6rd requirement, their just aren't that many small frame 6 shot revolvers in substantial calibers.

Not long ago I would have agreed. That is why I have my Taurus 85 and S&W 442. I really don't feel comfortable with 5 rounds (though I do sometimes pair both the 85 IWB and the 442 pocket carried anyway), and today, I think there are enough options that I'd rather have something else. Between the K6s and .327 LCR I think I can have the round count I want, reasonable pocketability, and a good defensive caliber, plus with the research I've done lately on .22mag I'm comfortable with that as a defensive caliber (especially now with the short barrelled defensive rounds available that make the most of it out of a handgun) so that adds the older 351PD. For those who are comfortable with only 5 rounds, 5 shot .38 and .357 revolvers do add many more options, but for those of us who want more rounds, I think we have a good set of choices today.

If your willing to go with a .22mag the 351C is built on the same concealed hammer Centennial frame as your 442 and holds 7rds like the 351PD. Pus it only weighs 11.5oz.
I wish I could go that way, but the 351C is not approved for sale in MD. I like the DAO for a pocket revolver and it is less expensive than the 351PD. If I get the 351PD I'll probably get a shroud for it (LEO Combat sells a little plastic shroud that slips over the hammer and falls off when you fire).

That said, just yesterday I took possession of a new Colt Night Cobra and it is a beautiful gun. However, it's a bit large and heavy for BUG duty.
That is the Cobra model I'm most interested in, but it is not on the approved list for MD so I can't buy it. I'd have to get the regular model, have the hammer bobbed, put on a front night sight, and get it Cerakoted for the same effect (too much money). I could ask a dealer to petition to get it added to the MD approved roster (I think I can petition the Board as well), but that can take quite some time. I'd probably get the regular Cobra and just change out the sight (and get the Leo Combat shroud I mentioned with the 351PD).

Also, Charter Arms is coming out with a new model called the Professional, a 3", 7 shot .32 H&R mag revolver.
That is something I'm interested in checking out as an occasional IWB once it is out. If they also come out with a 2" I'd be very interested in it for this current role.

My wife & I both carry the LCR 327 in magnum 6 shot revolver 1.87 snub. It's part Poly attached to a steel frame. I found the the Hornady 80 grain H&R 32 is perfect. It definitely is one of the best SD snubs out there.

Yeah, I keep hearing things like that from those who own it (in any caliber). That's why, even though I don't like the looks, it is very high on my list.

If I had to put them in order (based upon what I'm thinking right now, it could be different in a day or two), it would be:
  1. Ruger LCR
  2. S&W (not sure which- just for defensive duties the .22mag would win, but I'd probably shoot the .22lr so much more it would possibly make that worthwhile).
  3. Kimber - if it wasn't so expensive it would probably be #1, but I've been spending a lot of money lately (I'm moving next week, I've had to spend more on replacing clothing than I wanted to recently, and I've bought several guns over the past year)
  4. Taurus - I don't trust them anymore, but that price (and wanting to keep costs down) has me tempted. If I get lucky, it will be a bargain. On the other hand, if I get unlucky, it essentially adds $300 to the final cost ($100-200 if I trade it)
  5. Colt - I'll probably get a Cobra eventually, but probably not to try to fill this particular niche.

Last edited:
I am looking for a backup revolver. It will be for occasional deep concealment duties. ...
So, the guns...

Colt Cobra. ... Kimber K6s. ... Ruger LCR in .327mag. ... S&W 351PD. ... S&W 43C...

Kudos on the energy of thought that you have given to this. But, I'd suggest keeping it simple for a BUG: Light weight 38. :)

B9Og4Dl.jpg

If I had to put them in order (based upon what I'm thinking right now, it could be different in a day or two), it would be:

Ruger LCR
S&W (not sure which- just for defensive duties the .22mag would win, but I'd probably shoot the .22lr so much more it would possibly make that worthwhile).
Kimber - if it wasn't so expensive it would probably be #1, but I've been spending a lot of money lately (I'm moving next week, I've had to spend more on replacing clothing than I wanted to recently, and I've bought several guns over the past year)
Taurus - I don't trust them anymore, but that price (and wanting to keep costs down) has me tempted. If I get lucky, it will be a bargain. On the other hand, if I get unlucky, it essentially adds $300 to the final cost ($100-200 if I trade it)
Colt - I'll probably get a Cobra eventually, but probably not to try to fill this particular niche.

Haha, I should have said based on what I'm thinking now, but it could be different in an hour or two.

I just started thinking...

One thing I do like when carrying both the 442 and Taurus 85 is that they use the same speed loaders (though often the second gun is instead of the speed loader). I now own (and will soon possess) a new model Colt King Cobra which will often be carried. I'm looking for a gun that I'll often carry as a backup to that. While I will usually carry the 2nd gun instead of a speed loader, when I ankle carry the backup I'll probably have a speed loader in my pocket. While the fit won't be perfect, speed loaders for the King Cobra, Kimber K6s, and Taurus 856 should work (with some jiggling) with the others. It is a nice bonus, but the 2nd gun will be instead of a speed loader often enough I'm not sure if I should give it much weight or not.

I’m big for getting the extra round... converted all my LCP magazines to Magguts. Hell, I’m even fishing on picking up a few P30 magazines to run in the P2000 I’m being issued, as long as they fit our magazine pouches (the one in the gun will be P30, so either one extra or three... more if I toss another pouch on my carrier). And this is for a gun within the next year, it is going to the shredder (sad, since it is brand new), as we are moving to the Glock 47.

However, my 642... chambered similarly to WC145’s (9mm)... cannot add an extra round. So, instead of worrying about a smaller caliber (you definitely are entitled to do you... I won’t carry a .22 Magnum for defense; I have zero experience with .327, but heard good from it) or a larger gun, I just improved my method for reloading. I don’t typically carry it as a backup, but when I do carry it, I have three moonclips on me, one in the gun, and a fifth in the glovebox of my vehicle.

Need to worry about a sixth round in the gun is not a huge concern of mine. If it is for you, I’d say reduce the overall width... and go with a semi-auto (and you get a faster reload, as well).

I am looking for a backup revolver. It will be for occasional deep concealment duties. It will (as the title states) be primarily used when I carry a backup (and the backup isn't my LCP), mainly when carrying another revolver to somewhat alleviate the low capacity of a revolver. It will be pocket and sometimes ankle carried.

Criteria...

Capacity must be 6 or more.

Relatively lightweight since it will often be a pocket gun.

Caliber is pretty open.

The two I would be looking most at, given your requirements, are the LCR in .327, and the Taurus 856.

I might be more "price sensitive" (poor) than you are. Colt and Kimber, as attractive as they are, are priced beyond what I want to be spending on a gun.

Re the Taurus, The Revolver Guy blog likes his.

The negatives said, my Taurus 85CH has come to have one heck of a good trigger after a lot of use, it seems they use better spring design than the S&W J-frames on their small frame revolvers.

My 605 has a quite nice trigger. My S&W 642 (now off in repair limbo), has never been as good.

I carry a custom 12.5 oz 9mm 637-2 J-frame (I like exposed hammers and SA capability).
For backup, I alternate between custom 9mm 8+1 Kimber Micro 9 and custom Kimber 8+1 Micro .380.

Both the Micros are smaller than the 637, and the Micro .380 is almost as light.

You might consider the "old" model Colt Cobra or Colt Agent. They weigh about 15 ounces but not rated for +P ammo. I don't consider this a big drawback since expansion of +P in snubbies is iffy anyway. Prices I see over on Gunbroker look pretty decent. If you go this route, just check timing very carefully. I have a Cobra and an Agent and they both put the trigger on a J-frame to shame. I have carried the Agent quite a bit, but the Cobra not so much.

Go with the 351PD or the 43C. Lighter weight and higher capacity. Ammo reliability is not an issue with quality ammo. I've never had an issue with Speer or CCI rimfire ammo.

I have the 351C, but would have been just as happy with the 43C.

back up

My son a law who is 6'7" and 300 lbs carries a S&W J frame in 357mag. It suits his size, but it is loud as heck.

A sweet shooter from the custom shop.

The two I would be looking most at, given your requirements, are the LCR in .327, and the Taurus 856.

They are the most sensible when looking at price. As much as the Taurus would make me nervous with my recent experiences (and reading), at the price they are selling for it may be worth taking the risk. After shooting a thousand or so rounds through it I could be convinced to trust it if I didn't have any issues.

You might consider the "old" model Colt Cobra or Colt Agent

I've thought about it. With older, out of production guns, I don't want to get one in nice cosmetic shape and carry it causing a lot of wear to the finish (funny, I don't really care about that with new guns or current production guns, heck, I even like putting some wear on the finish, but get a 20+ year old out of production gun with a good finish and I want to keep it that way). If I get one that is worn cosmetically, it could still be quite nice mechanically, but it can be hard to tell if I buy online. On the other hand, with how often I'd actually pocket carry whatever I buy, I probably won't be putting a whole lot of wear on it. Of course, old Colt revolver prices have gone a bit berserk with collector interest, though there are some out there at reasonable prices. The Agent in particular looks interesting with the shorter grip, and with the ugly parkerized finish I won't worry as much about messing up the looks of a collectable gun and the prices seem to be more down to Earth. It would be nice to get a gun with a similar feel and frame/grip size as my new King Cobra, and one that could use the same holsters (if I want it to) and speed loaders. There are a couple Agents and Cobras on Gunbroker I am watching at the moment.

Go with the 351PD or the 43C. Lighter weight and higher capacity. Ammo reliability is not an issue with quality ammo. I've never had an issue with Speer or CCI rimfire ammo.

I have the 351C, but would have been just as happy with the 43C.
Regardless what I carry on my belt, I always have a 43c in my pocket.
They are quite high on my list. The 351PD shoots the relatively inexpensive yet still interesting for self defense .22mag. I could get a lot of inexpensive practice, get 7 rounds in a J-frame, and still have a relatively capable self defense gun (when loaded with the short barrel Speer Gold Dots). The 43c would be interesting with 8 rounds, and I'd get a ton of practice with the cheap .22lr ammo. The 43C has the advantage of being about $100 less than the 351PD, though the .22mag 351PD would be a better gun for self defense.

LCR .327. you can load it with S&W Long, H&R Mag or Fed Mag and be better off than a rim fire.
The .327 lcr is also real thin. Which is an additional bonus.
The LCR is also very high on the list. However, its biggest advantage is also its biggest disadvantage. The caliber is interesting, I'd love to add it to my collection, and it is quite capable. However, all my revolvers but one (my .45LC S&W 625MG) are either .38 or .357mag. I tend to have a lot of .38 on hand, and a few boxes of .357mag. It (.38) is a caliber I often buy in bulk, and I sometimes reload both .38 and .357mag. So, maybe I'd be better off getting a .327 in a fun gun/range gun (maybe the 3" SP101 or one of the Ruger SA revolvers). I would probably get a lot more practice out of one of the .38's or .357's on my list. However, none would be quite as small as the LCR to meet my capacity criteria. Also, in this size and weight gun, .38 would produce a lot more felt recoil than when shooting .32 H&R mag (shorter range sessions which means I'd be less capable with that gun, and longer sight recovery for longer follow up shots).

My current thinking...

The Kimber is near the bottom and almost totally off the list. I'm moving, I've had to replace some clothing lately, and I need a new mattress, so less expensive is definitely better (were it not for cost, it would probably be number one though). The new Colt Cobra is also near the bottom since it is probably a bit heavy for what I want.

It is hard to order the rest right now:
Tied for #1:
Either S&W rimfire
Ruger LCR

#2 (but very close to a 3 way tie for #1):
Colt Agent or Cobra (original). If I can find one with a worn finish, nice mechanicals and a good price it would be a good choice, and with some of the advantages when paired with my new King Cobra I can see it jumping to #1.

#3:
Taurus 856. I don't "feel" it as much, but the price makes it impossible to ignore. It is available at a very reasonable price in a lightweight aluminum model. It is available as a DAO bobbed hammer version (856CH). Taurus small frames start off with better triggers than their S&W counterparts, and with use can smooth out to some very nice trigger pulls. If I was still a Taurus fan/still trusted Taurus, it would probably be #1.

Last edited:
I took today off work to pack up for my move and to move some things to the new place (the more I can pack and move before the movers come this weekend, the less the move will cost me). When I needed a break, I've been reading up on the Taurus 856. As usual with Taurus revolvers, there are problems out there, but if you get a good one, it generally stays that way.

I don't believe I'm saying this, but with all the money I'm spending on my move, and since I need to buy a new mattress this weekend (Memorial Day sales), I started leaning towards waiting a few months or getting the Taurus. The more I looked online at the Taurus, the more I'm leaning that direction. I'm especially interested in the odd (but not all that unusual for Taurus) two tone azure blue and black version (my first thought about all the two-tone color combos they put out for it was that it was tacky and ugly, but the more photos I've seen and after reading a few reviews, I think I want one in either a combo with the blue or with the burnt orange). I was especially wary that they got rid of their lifetime warranty on most of their guns given my issues the past couple years and several related revolver issues I've read about. Well, it appears they realized what a boneheaded marketing move that was, and they brought back a revised lifetime warranty (the new one is only good for the original owner). So, if I do get a dud, they will get it right by fixing it or replacing it (even if the issues don't show themselves right away).

Last edited:
Back