Back up guns and the benefits, if you want them..

So most of us here on this forum, carry concealed. We carry 1 firearm which is good and more than likely it will solve any issue should the need ever arise. Of course as Achilles weakness was his heel. The semi-automatic handgun's weakness is it's magazine. So at least 1 spare is always a good idea.

Now, onto back up guns. The benefits that are easy to see and think of are that it's faster to draw than reload for some people. That it's good to have in case your primary pistol is out of service for whatever reason.

Another really good one and the reason that I carry a back up some days, is to arm another individual or loved one. Not everyone I know carries and handgun for self defense. Most are efficient enough to hold their own should the need ever arise. The legal matters only matter after the fact. Of course the firearm is to be used in a worst case scenario only. In most peoples eyes: being alive triumphs over getting killed.

If you're in your vehicle with a loved one or ones and stop to get gas / something from inside. Drop the back up gun in the car with them and lock the doors. That's one example.

Of course most people have a hard time carrying anything larger than an LCP. So a back up gun seems even more far fetched. That's okay.

They're just more benefits to it than not, just like a lot of things in life that are give or take. To each his own.

I dont want to carry the gun that I do carry. Carrying 2 guns is not likely to ever be a realistic consideration. I do agree that a person should probably carry a spare mag in the event of a sudden primary mag defect or need or more ammo. As far as being able to produce a second gun faster than a reload is relative to how and where you carry the second gun...its possible, sure- but it depends.

I don't see a need for a backup gun, spare mags are far more useful to me. The chances I will ever need to use my gun in self defense are pretty slim, the chances I will ever need to use a reload in my gun in a self defense situation are even smaller, the chances I will need a back up gun are astronomically small. Even the majority of our armed infantry forces do not carry a secondary weapon, and they are willingly putting themselves in situations far more dangerous than a civilian will encounter. Many of our special forces soldiers in lieu of carrying a secondary weapon will instead carry spare mags for their primary.

As far as arming another individual I am with, if they did not make the conscious decision to carry a gun themselves, they are most likely not prepared or even qualified to use the gun I gave them, and could actually do more harm than good. Not to mention the legal ramifications of handing one of your guns to someone to use, and god forbid they shoot an innocent bystander in the process.

Another really good one and the reason that I carry a back up some days, is to arm another individual or loved one. Not everyone I know carries and handgun for self defense. Most are efficient enough to hold their own should the need ever arise. The legal matters only matter after the fact. Of course the firearm is to be used in a worst case scenario only. In most peoples eyes: being alive triumphs over getting killed.

Really?

This is serious?

I'd expect to hear these things coming from someone addicted to video games or action movies, but it would be a matter of some small concern if I were to hear them voiced in a training class I was teaching for either LE or private citizens.

In light of your desire to start a thread topic, though ...

The topic of secondary weapons has been debated ad nauseum over the decades. Mixed bag, at best.

I remember when proponents argued that the "backup" gun had to be in at least a caliber similar in power to that of the primary duty weapon (some folks liked the early CA Bulldog .44 spl for "big bore caliber" backup), while others accepted that handy size and ready employment could mitigate concerns regarding caliber "power" potential (.22 Mag was popular, in both kit-gun snub and 2-shot DA derringer).

I knew patrol guys who carried a Colt Commander or a S&W M19 snub as a secondary, and then down to the Colt DS .38 spl or the ubiquitous J-frame. A few guys carried the "lodge pin" Walther .380's or some little .25 ACP.

The Onion Field incident made more cops think about having something, even if in some small caliber/handgun that might be missed during a cursory pat-down done by someone unfamiliar with actually searching for weapons, looking to disarm a cop.

I knew a guy who ended up off the road and trapped by his seat belt inside his patrol car, during the pursuit of a bank robbery suspect, and who also discovered that his hastily applied seat belt had captured his holstered duty weapon (another issue). The suspect saw the patrol car veer off the road and get caught in a ditch, and stopped his vehicle to run back and fire several rounds at the cop in his patrol car. Fortunately, my friend wasn't hit (although he suffered a rotator cuff injury unsuccessfully trying to wrench his gun free of the seat belt and holster). Now, if he'd had a secondary weapon, say in an ankle rig, of at least a .38 Spl or .380, he'd at least have had access to another weapon to use (dependent on the circumstances of it being able to be used, of course).

Nowadays, being in retirement mode, I don't often see the necessity of carrying a secondary weapon. I have any number of other things I do like to remember to carry, though. Things like 2-3 folding knives, a practical light source (like my 4Sevens Mini ML-X), my cellphone, car fob, cigar cutter/punch, antiseptic wipes, some first aid supplies and/or nitrile gloves. Things that are actually used from day to day. I dislike ankle carry, and groin or AIWB doesn't appeal to me.

When I do decide to carry a secondary weapon, it's usually something that easily tucks away, such as one of my J's or my LCP's, and sometimes, in the last couple of years, it's even one of the little NAA SA revolvers chambered in .22 LR or Mag (often referred to as gadgets or pocket jewelry, but which I still think of as occasional insurance against an onion field-type situation).

Spare mags? Sure. Handy, and the only way to effectively resolve a mag-related problem in a semiauto pistol.

Will most people (including off-duty cops, if not required by policy) do it, though? Hardly.

I've taught classes where a lot of private citizens expressed how they saw little need, or none, to think about carrying spare ammunition. Ditto cops in off-duty mode (unless required by policy, and presuming they followed policy).

A good friend of mine recently returned from helping teach at a large training venue for a while (several hundred cops over many days). He said he saw only 1 of them visibly carrying a spare mag on their own time. A lot of them carried guns, but only the one guy visibly carrying a spare mag. Granted, maybe some of them might've been stashing a spare (double stack) mag inside a pocket, which wouldn't be visible like when carried on a belt carrier.

Secondary weapons? Most people find it burdensome enough just to carry a primary weapon with any consistency. The majority of the private citizens I've taught over the years (with CCW licenses) said they didn't carry their licensed weapons all the time, or even with any regularity.

Cops? Another mixed bag. The last time I listened to a major national trainer discuss statistics of actively employed cops carrying off-duty, if I remember right it seemed the statistics he discussed indicated that it may as low as barely 20% of active cops go armed on their own time. As a LE trainer, I'd be happy to get a significant number of them to just consider carrying a "primary" off-duty weapon, without going out of my way to worry about them carrying a secondary.

I don't get involved in trying to advocate one way or the other for the carrying of a secondary weapon on-duty, but if someone chooses to do so (and it's within policy), I think it practical to require they demonstrate they can use it to the same standards required for the primary duty weapon. No way to predict it won't have to serve as the "primary" under some conditions.

For off-duty or private citizens? Well, that can be discussed at length and go in a number of directions (presuming it's lawful in any particular jurisdiction, and within policy for off-duty cops).

Those private citizens who decide they need to carry more guns and ammo going about their daily activities than most cops may carry on-duty in the same areas? Well, that's another subject.

I don't see a need for a backup gun, spare mags are far more useful to me. The chances I will ever need to use my gun in self defense are pretty slim, the chances I will ever need to use a reload in my gun in a self defense situation are even smaller, the chances I will need a back up gun are astronomically small.

As far as arming another individual I am with, if they did not make the conscious decision to carry a gun themselves, they are most likely not prepared or even qualified to use the gun I gave them, and could actually do more harm than good.

Very good points, I dont think I could ague with any of that if I had to.

The semi-automatic handgun's weakness is it's magazine.

Not an issue with my 38 snub.

Concealed carriers who are in high risk surroundings or have a job that involves risky business certainly need to have a backup.

Me?

I'm just a harmless old guy living a very low profile lifestyle. My 642 is plenty for my purposes. If circumstances change, I have other options available.

Each of us has to analyze our situation and prepare accordingly.

Posted by fastbolt:
Really?

This [to arm another individual or loved one] is serious?
I think it is an excellent reason. I got the idea from Mas.

There are other reasons that the OP did not mention. One is to mitigate the risk of losing the primary weapon in the attack. Another is to have a gun that can be gripped in a jacket pocket when things are worrisome but drawing is not justified.

The advantage of having a firearm that can be easily accessed with the weak hand while the defender is strapped into the driver's seat of a car is a real one. The civilian who lets a passenger out to use a restroom or go into a stores is probably more at risk of having someone get in uninvited than would be a patrol officer.

Posted by skoro:
I'm just a harmless old guy living a very low profile lifestyle.
I live a very low profile lifestyle too, but I really do not want to appear harmless these days.

My 642 is plenty for my purposes.
If your purposes are to believe that you are well protected, you may be right.

If circumstances change, I have other options available.
Circumstances can change in a moment.

My primary carry weapon is thinner than the 642; slightly higher; less than half an inch longer; it carries 60% more ammunition; it has much better sights; and it has a much better trigger pull.

I started out carrying a 642. After a training course or two, I started carrying it only for backup.

Cool cool... I like the responses. Regardless of where they stand.

I remember I worked for a local gun shop here for a brief time.. They required you to carry a back up. At first I was a little weirded about by it. It made sense though. And when we did live fire classes for our customers it became more evident to me that it was a good idea.

Now do I always do it? Nah... But I understand it.

When we would drive to gun shows he would make us carry the 2 guns with spare mags and even had one of us with an AR pistol. It was a 3 car convoy surrounding the vehicle with the guns. Fun times!

I kinda miss them.

OldMarksman said:
Circumstances can change in a moment.

Which is why I carry.
My primary carry weapon is thinner than the 642; slightly higher; less than half an inch longer; it carries 60% more ammunition; it has much better sights; and it has a much better trigger pull.

Sounds like a good one. 1911 maybe?
I started out carrying a 642. After a training course or two, I started carrying it only for backup.

Each of us should prepare as we think best.

When did magazines become so problematic? I bought my first automatic pistol around 1967 and it was about 25 years old then. I've never had a magazine-related issue with any pistol. Am I overdue for one?

Arming another individual

I'd expect to hear these things coming from someone addicted to video games or action movies, but it would be a matter of some small concern if I were to hear them voiced in a training class I was teaching for either LE or private citizens.
Ridiculous. My brother, for example has never carried a gun in his life. I've seen him shoot, though. Should he and I, for whatever reason, find ourselves being fired upon, I would immediately toss him my BUG.

Ridiculous. My brother, for example has never carried a gun in his life. I've seen him shoot, though. Should he and I, for whatever reason, find ourselves being fired upon, I would immediately toss him my BUG.

Bingo... My point exactly. I said that in my OP too. If they know how to shoot and know the 4 safety rules, etc etc... Why the heck not? Just because they chose not to carry for whatever reason.

But don't worry. I think fastbolt is still mad at me from another thread. I made some enemies on that thread LOL. Hence the unnecessary use of the whole "video game" comment.

No worries.

I was always taught the benefits of a back up gun and spare mags. The good far outweighs any of the "bad" that people are known to conjure up for personal reasons.

Glad you see the benefits.

I generally carry a single gun and 98% of the time, a spare magazine. The only time I carry a second gun is if I am bundled up in a heavy winter coat (making my primary virtually inaccessible), I will put a small pistol in an outside coat pocket.

I carry a BUG because I can, I picked up a Beretta Pico .380 and it's just slips into my weak side pants pocket. As OldMarksman stated it's nice to slip my hand into my pocket unobtrusively and be prepared to draw.

Last edited:
My backup gun is my primary.

That would make for a decent sig line, Bill. I don't carry a back up pistol but do carry a spare mag about 85% of the time. I can see the arguments for but have never felt the need for one.

Back