Back up guns, a few thoughts.

Jeff, I've seen what you pack around, too. If I carried your gear and mine, it wouldn't be a shadow, it would be an eclipse! :p

Denny

I am glad Denny lives in the Southwest...hate to see him fall in a lake with all that kit :D

I like the "secondary weapon" terminology...it doesn't automatically conjure up visions of mouseguns in my head.

One thing to keep in mind, of course, is the more stuff you carry, the more stuff is available to the badguy when both of you are in a big heap on the floor.

I'm not saying "don't carry a secondary [or tertiary] weapon", but if you are going to, then you absolutely must work on realistic weapon retention skills and unarmed skills. It seems like so many people want to buy the latest, greatest wondergump and assume that they are better prepared for the ugly momemts.

Train hard, train realisticlly for the worse-case scenarios, and you will be in a much better position than the guy who thinks he can buy his safety with cool toys.

I'm not saying "don't carry a secondary [or tertiary] weapon", but if you are going to, then you absolutely must work on realistic weapon retention skills and unarmed skills. It seems like so many people want to buy the latest, greatest wondergump and assume that they are better prepared for the ugly momemts.

I think it is irrelevant what you carry, good defense tactics are pretty much a requisite.

Later,

Jeff, I agree. Rereading my post I can see it could come across that I was suggesting that you only needed unarmed skills if you carried more than one weapon. That, of course, is ridiculous.

Legitimate unarmed skills are what allow you to access tools in-fight. If you don't have solid unarmed and weapon retention skills, you very rarely get to access the gun in danger close affrays.

Paul,

My point is regardless of the weapon system or number of weapon systems you need defense tactics. DT is not just weapon control or unarmed issues it is a much more comprehensive concept.

Later,

Jeff, I don't think we are in disagreement. Would you care to explain what you me when you use the term "defense tactics"?

If I may interject....
Jeff makes an excellent point and one that I have harped on many times. I see too many people when talking defensive measures only consider what kind of gun. Seldom do I see anyone talking about other methods of defensive tactics. For self protection and the protection of others the gun is the very last resort. There are so many other defensive measures available that few consider. IMO, it's because learning even elementary defensive measures isn't "fun" or macho. It takes practice. But for many carrying the gun is all about testerone first and defense second. Too many are carrying a gun and think they are well protecting themselves. They aren't, unless they have knowledge of soft/hard hand methods, ground fighting, etc. If they believe going to the gun is their method of self protection then save us all from them. They're going to quickly find themselves up to their butts in alligators and eaten alive.

If I may interject....
Jeff makes an excellent point and one that I have harped on many times. I see too many people when talking defensive measures only consider what kind of gun. Seldom do I see anyone talking about other methods of defensive tactics. For self protection and the protection of others the gun is the very last resort. There are so many other defensive measures available that few consider. IMO, it's because learning even elementary defensive measures isn't "fun" or macho. It takes practice. But for many carrying the gun is all about testerone first and defense second. Too many are carrying a gun and think they are well protecting themselves. They aren't, unless they have knowledge of soft/hard hand methods, ground fighting, etc. If they believe going to the gun is their method of self protection then save us all from them. They're going to quickly find themselves up to their butts in alligators and eaten alive.

:) Boy, is that ever the truth! Very well said. Too bad Harold Fish didn't share this point-of-view! If he had Grant Kuenzli would, still, be alive today. Excellent post! ;)

It would help if I checked my spelling before sending. "testosterone". Sheesh! I know better than that. I plead fat fingers and 10 thumbs.

When I worked in the gun store I carried two

A big N frame on the hip and a PPKs on the ankle.
The reasion was simple. if the store was robed and some one is standing there with a gun pointed at my head he can have any thing he wants. Im fast but not that fast.
But in reading most roberies the bad guy makes every one lay on the ground and takes all the guns.
An ankle holster is hard to see and when Im on the ground and there not looking,,, well a PPK on the ankle is beter than being with out

Back